introductionary book for cognitive and brain sciences

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 4:48 am

Hello,

I wonder if I should study cognitive and brain sciences or better psychology. However, I have no clue of both. I think alot of people with AS studied sth. like that, therefore, I hope some people can give me some advice for a good introductionary book for cognitive science, neuro science, and anything else related to the brain.

thanks alot in advance,
anton

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 4:57 am

There is a Neuroscience textbook (rather popular) called "Principles of Neural Science" written by Kandell, Schwartz and Jessell. It is VERY thick and detailed, and probably very expensive, so you'll have to borrow it/read it from a University library if you have access. I think the 5th Edition is now available for sale. The 4th Edition was published in 2000, but is still great if you want to read random pages and decide if you're interested in studying Cognitive/Brain Sciences.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 5:25 am

Daniel Reisberg's Cognition: Exploring the Science of the Mind is a really good introduction to the field,

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 7:48 am

If you really want to dive in check out Fudor's Modularity of mind. (beleave it is MIT press)

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

Neurology confuses me in general, so no recomendations here. :lol:

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 5:44 am

joestenr wrote:
If you really want to dive in check out Fudor's Modularity of mind. (beleave it is MIT press)

thanks!
I read the reviews on amazon, and one reviewer mentions that its not a kind of introduction... and that the point of few has also some criticism, and was popular in the 80ies.

What do you think?

thanks,
anton

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 5:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Daniel Reisberg's Cognition: Exploring the Science of the Mind is a really good introduction to the field,

thanks, this seems to be a well-known book!

Can you tell me, if it is more popular science, or if it is already university level?

thanks
anton

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:23 am

antonblock wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

thanks, this seems to be a well-known book!

Can you tell me, if it is more popular science, or if it is already university level?

thanks
anton

In Australia it's a second year university psych text.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 7:34 am

cyberdad wrote:

In Australia it's a second year university psych text.

oh thanks :)

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Social pyschology and sociology are good for getting your head around daily interaction stuff. IT's Ok knowing something in massive detail , but its often the little obseravtions of daily life we often need to be clued up on and linked to the bigger picture. I like (the somtimes) radical attitude in this kind of work .

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

memesplice wrote:
Social pyschology and sociology are good for getting your head around daily interaction stuff. IT's Ok knowing something in massive detail , but its often the little obseravtions of daily life we often need to be clued up on and linked to the bigger picture. I like (the somtimes) radical attitude in this kind of work .

thanks!

i read already the famous book by goffman, it was really helpfull :)

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

Erving Goffman was dude.

Now, cognitive scientists and linguistic theory and all those guys are really nice guys, but speaking as an AS I think they might be on the spectrum themselves and just don't mention it.

There a site called replicated typo and you can have a look at the kind of stuff they research. To me i's too rarified and abstract to apply to everyday life, at least for me.

One guy springs to mind from social psycology you might want to read developed the idea of using sociology like a martial art. Bordieu was the guy's name, and he had an american PhD student who did studies into subculture and I think he was boxer. If you find out who he is let me know.

like where the h*lls the spell check on a PC? btw.

Meme