Is there any italian Aspe or parents?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 9:58 am

How is your experience, how is it different in italy than in other country? (I'm italian, just want the idea of others).

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

Nightsun wrote:
How is your experience, how is it different in italy than in other country? (I'm italian, just want the idea of others).

Ciao Nightsun
I'm an italian parent of an autie boy. Italy is different in many ways...
There's not something like WP in Italy and I couldn't find an organization made of autistic people, only parents organization supporting different kinds of therapies for their children. I joined WP because I wanted to listen to autistic people without being intrusive. I wanted to know what they think when they comunicate with someone who don't see them as brainsick people.
From a parent point of wiev, autism is mostly unknown in Italy and you don't get a diagnosis before your child is 3 yo. You are not provided with intensive early intervention. If you're lucky, you are told that early intervention exists. American children are often diagnosed before age 2 and this helps!
Some US states provide EI for children on the spectrum.
Italy is different because we have an inclusive education system, even if it is short of funds. If you don't fit mainstream , you still have the right to be included. I think our education system is better than others because of this, but a parent has to fight to get a qualified support teacher.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 11:19 am

I have a very AS-ish friend of Italian descent.. But his parents are sorta New York Italian-American. His mom seems to be very outgoing and likes being social and talking alot...while he, in Aspie form, is rather aloof and introverted....

sraddha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2011, 4:19 pm

Ciao, I am italian
mi puoi scrivere messaggio privato se vuoi parlare un pò
Sono di Bologna, ma vivo Inghilterra.
I have Aspeger, got diagnosis 3 months ago.
Ok, ciao :D

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 7:54 pm

I think I have Italian heritage. My father is always being told he looks like a character from the Godfather movies. My father would DEFINATLY be diagnosed with AS if he were a child or teenager today.