Wrongplanet confuses the heck out of me

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 6:06 am

I read MANY positive things,i read many or some negative things and that confuses the heck out of me.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 6:08 am

Alright.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 6:13 am

JohnyJohn wrote:
I read MANY positive things,i read many or some negative things and that confuses the heck out of me.

This is an open forum. There is no concerted effort to keep the content "on message". So there is always going to be a wide variety that spans the entire positive/negative spectrum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 7:12 am

Not all of us are miserable. A lot of us are happy.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 7:15 am

And some things you find positive, others will not, and vice versa. And people change, and need to hear different messages at different times in their lives

Forumites need to express the ugly as well as the beauty, and others may feel less alone in reading, and their own experience validated.

Banning negativity would be like farming monoculture crops, bugs will come. If only it were all beer and skittles

NUJV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

Well... sorry. That's what happens in normal society, people have differences of opinion, and essentially society is based on discussion and co-operation despite differences in opinion. If people didn't have differences of opinion we as a race would be in a dreadful state today. As internet communities, to some extent, simulate real ones in a compressed and exaggerated sort of way, it is the norm for this to be expressed in forums. Difference in opinion is where wealth of knowledge comes from. People live their lives in different ways, some people love a particular experience and others will hate the same one. Deal with it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

JohnyJohn wrote:

It confuses me too. People keep on inventing new traits to Autism, and even starting to blame every single feature on having AS, even though I notice them on NTs too. Natural human things, for example burping, apparently are Aspie traits, from what I've read on WP since I've become a member. Yes, very random. It just seems that every single thing we do is associated with having AS. I see a thread saying Aspies are placid as toddlers, then the next week I see a thread saying that Aspies are hyper toddlers, as if it isn't normal to be hyper as a toddler. In the end, I start wondering, what the hell do NTs actually do? What quirks do they actually have? What bodily feature is associated with NTs? Isn't there anything that Aspies and NTs have in common? And people seem to forget that there is more diversities besides Autism spectrum disorder.

So, yes, I agree with you - WP confuses me too.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Not all of us are miserable. A lot of us are happy.

Like^^^

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:

It confuses me too. People keep on inventing new traits to Autism, and even starting to blame every single feature on having AS, even though I notice them on NTs too. Natural human things, for example burping, apparently are Aspie traits, from what I've read on WP since I've become a member. Yes, very random. It just seems that every single thing we do is associated with having AS. I see a thread saying Aspies are placid as toddlers, then the next week I see a thread saying that Aspies are hyper toddlers, as if it isn't normal to be hyper as a toddler. In the end, I start wondering, what the hell do NTs actually do? What quirks do they actually have? What bodily feature is associated with NTs? Isn't there anything that Aspies and NTs have in common? And people seem to forget that there is more diversities besides Autism spectrum disorder.

So, yes, I agree with you - WP confuses me too.

Also, many traits are much more likely to appear in autistic people (not just those diagnosed with AS or who identify with the term "Aspie" than they are to appear in NTs and are generally milder when NTs have those traits. Yet the fact that they appear in NTs at all is seen as a valid counter to the fact that they are much more characteristic of autism. And then it sometimes becomes difficult to have a conversation about these things because someone tells everyone in the thread that they're wrong for thinking that things like taking things extremely literally or excessive heat sensitivity or photophobia have anything to do with autism when they in fact have a lot to do with autism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

What I meant to say is that if we were all the same, WP would be a very boring place to be.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:

Think about why most of us are here. I mean, if you really think about the reasons, and the issues we're all dealing with, which are different for every user, what you see here really shouldn't be all that surprising.

I don't know if it's here anymore but I recall seeing a sticky post somewhere on this site when I first joined asking users to keep in mind that a large percentage of users here have AS or are somewhere on the ASD Spectrum, and also many have other issues including but not limited to ADHD, Depression, mood disorders, and all kinds of other "issues."

Due to this fact, users were asked to keep in mind that conflicts may happen, but that WP would usually err on the side of freedom of speech and expression. I'm paraphrasing from what I can remember of what i saw back then. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, whether it still exists and if so where it is, maybe they'll chip in and point you to it. I'm not sure it still exists though.

There is a moderator attention thread that can be used for reporting obvious rule violations, in one of the forums near the bottom of the main forum list if you have any serious problems with particular users, or with particular threads, but you should be aware that they will tend to err on the side of all users having the freedom to express themselves as long as it doesn't directly violate forum rules, so you'll want to be sure you've read them first, and that what you're reporting actually does violate the rules. Mods don't care for that thread getting all plugged up with adolescent bickering. :wink:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 3:36 pm

Let's take for example this thread

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf127124-0-15.html

Mostly positive for equality,care,people with disabilities,life

While other threads are about 'ret*d' and suicide

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

Ah. Stay out of "The Haven" unless you are in a country&irish music kind of mood.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

Do you know what i think it is happening?

The 'positive posters' post to the positive threads by 85 percent.The other are the 'negatives'.

The 'negative posters' post to the negative threads by 70 percent.The other comes form the 'positive'.

Confused all the time,confused all the time.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 5:50 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
Let's take for example this thread

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf127124-0-15.html

Mostly positive for equality,care,people with disabilities,life

While other threads are about 'ret*d' and suicide

Good example actually. Crazykid joined the day before, started that obnoxious thread the next day, and left WP after 5 posts.

I imagine Autism Speaks, which owns WP, and is in battle with aspie pride activists, gains some traction for their ideas, with threads such as these :arrow:

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2011, 6:05 pm

By saying the part 'good example actually' you reminded me that i am not as dumb as i think and that sometimes i am smart.

Anyway many threads with suicide.

See this thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt34650.html