Adam was a brilliant movie about Asperger Syndrome

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

Yeah, I know. I still don't see how they immediately think of f**king animals.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

I saw it finally on Sunday... It's hard to find available anywhere in a store, but my wife found it on (popular shopping site whose name starts with A).

I have to say it's the best portrayal of High Functioning Autism I've seen from Hollywood, and I think Adam is HFA and not Asperger's, personally. His character is VERY much like me, with the exception that by 29, I did not have visible meltdowns anymore, and I had learned common courtesy such as helping ladies (and older gentlemen) with heavy packages, etc., which Adam was still unaware of. As far as his verbose rambling on astronomy, you could swap me into that scene, only I'd be talking about the technological development of television sets and the history of broadcast communications. Nobody cares, and I didn't realize that nobody cares.... They were going to hear all about it 'til someone shuts me up, LOL...

I could relate to virtually everything about the character Adam, including how he reacted at his Dad's funeral. I shut off emotionally in those cases, and get numb, and that's how I deal with those things fairly easily. My father died when I was 20, and then my mother when I was 21, and I reacted exactly as he did... Just do what you're supposed to do, then walk away. That part was probably the most touching for me, as nobody understands fully how I deal with death. Many call me insensitive, but it's not insensitivity, it's just what I feel, and I can't change that. Of course I'm sad and I miss anyone I love, who dies, but they're gone, and mourning is not something that seems to help me deal with a loss like that. Proving that I can go forward helps me deal with it better. And I have had plenty more experience at that than I would ever wish on anybody; Asperger's or not.

I think the movie is to date, the best crash course for NTs to learn of Asperger's, and I would recommend having a copy on hand, to offer to people when the subject of our differences comes up with NT people.

Charles

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2011, 12:20 pm

OddFiction wrote:

I should clarify:
I'm talking about the scene where he asks her if the trip to the park got her aroused (as being where NTs think "bestiality?").
I'm not talking about the park scene itself.

Excuse the butt-in, but I agree with your question... I felt that his asking that, was referring to the "walk in the park together", and the raccoons were incidental. In other words, we're supposed to be romantically inspired by a quiet walk with a potential mate, in a setting like that. I bet he knew that theory on a level of having read it, and since he couldn't feel it or know if she did or not, that was a test to see if there was chemistry between them. I hate to admit it, but I did that many years ago when I had no clue if a girl I liked, liked me back.

Charles

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

I watched it up to a certain point then got distracted, returned to it a couple of weeks later but couldn't really get into it all that well..

What I did watch was good though and when it comes back on television I will give it another try :)

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

Just saw the trailer, quite suprisingly impressed, definitely strikes me as the best hollywood projection of HFA, and I would say that it is HFA as opposed to Aspergers

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

Quote:
and I would say that it is HFA as opposed to Aspergers

pardon me; why?

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

nilescrane wrote:
I felt that even Forrest Gump was smarter and more high functioning than the Adam character. I felt like some NT just read a diagnosis chart of Aspergers and tried to fit all of the characteristics in Adam and the movie. While no Aspies are the same, Adam was more on the low functioning side...and someone that looks like Rose Byrne wouldn't have anything to do with someone that acted like that on a romantic level anyway.
I agree I think Adam in the movie was very low functioning . I like the ''innocent ''aspect of his character but most with AS have learned to curtail many of their odd behaviours while socializing ,the Adam character just didn't seem to get it .

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

Forrest Gump was smarter and more high functioning than Adam?

I must have been watching a different movie.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

Quote:
I agree I think Adam in the movie was very low functioning

You can't be serious

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

Phonic wrote:
Quote:

You can't be serious
What about the character did you find appealing ?? I recall one scene where out of the blue he brought up the subject about being sexually aroused when they were sitting on a bench or something ,that was beyond AS and something a lunatic would do ..Honestly ,I didn't watch the whole movie and am going to watch it again .. :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

bruinsy33 wrote:
Phonic wrote:
Quote:

You can't be serious

What about the character did you find appealing ?? I recall one scene where out of the blue he brought up the subject about being sexually aroused when they were sitting on a bench or something ,that was beyond AS and something a lunatic would do ..Honestly ,I didn't watch the whole movie and am going to watch it again .. :D

You're assuming that everyone with AS shares your exact traits. You may not be able to relate to it, but a lot of others can. Saying things that you don't realize are inappropriate is a very common AS trait, and your horrified reaction is identical to the reaction I've gotten from a lot of NTs when I've said something wrong.

As for the Forrest Gump comparison, if you think Gump is smarter and more high functioning than Adam, you need to watch Forrest Gump again.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2011, 3:34 am

Jory wrote:
bruinsy33 wrote:
Phonic wrote:
Quote:

You can't be serious

You're assuming that everyone with AS shares your exact traits. You may not be able to relate to it, but a lot of others can. Saying things that you don't realize are inappropriate is a very common AS trait, and your horrified reaction is identical to the reaction I've gotten from a lot of NTs when I've said something wrong.

As for the Forrest Gump comparison, if you think Gump is smarter and more high functioning than Adam, you need to watch Forrest Gump again.
Where did I say that Forrest Gump was more high functioning than Adam ?? Of course I also have certainly said something wrong or acted rude without even knowing it but the scene just seemed like a blatant exaggeration of AS behaviour .Most people [AS or not ] would realize how inappropriate it was .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

I really want to see that movie. From what I've read and the clips that I've seen, Adam looks like the type of character that I would be able to relate to. :)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

bruinsy33 wrote:
Where did I say that Forrest Gump was more high functioning than Adam ??

Someone else did, and you agreed with him.

bruinsy33 wrote:
Of course I also have certainly said something wrong or acted rude without even knowing it but the scene just seemed like a blatant exaggeration of AS behaviour .Most people [AS or not ] would realize how inappropriate it was .

You're still assuming way too much about others simply because it's something you would never do.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I really want to see that movie. From what I've read and the clips that I've seen, Adam looks like the type of character that I would be able to relate to. :)

I recommend it. It's not a perfect movie, but it's one of the better ones. But it's been made clear already that some people find it very accurate while others think it's too far off. For me personally, and for a lot of others, it was spot-on.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

I agreed that the character was low functioning ,I didn't make any reference to Forrest Gump .God forbid I have an opinion about AS that differs from yours .You are assuming that the behavior was a bang on respresentation of AS ,that's fine ,I happen to disagree.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

The point is that everyone with AS is different. A lot of people will watch Adam and feel it's very inaccurate. Others will watch it and feel it's very accurate. I did, and so did a lot of others, and it's BS to say "most people with AS" aren't like that, which is what you said.