Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

Occasionally, but more often than not, I'm the one that doesn't notice things. I'm the least observant person I know, especially when it comes to social things.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

Not the location of things, no, but sometimes I'll spot patterns or facts that NTs don't, and have to bang the heads of NTs against these facts for several minutes before they'll notice them.

For example, in a Geography lesson, my teacher was struggling to see the odd one out in "Aruba, St Lucia, Grenada, St Vincent, and Martinique". I pointed out several times that Aruba isn't one of the Windward Islands, but he didn't think I was right, and nobody else could work out a coherent answer, so he went to check the answers in the staff room. I was right.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

usually, yes; but it's subconsious mostly;
i do not "know" where things are, but when someone aske me to help find *insert item*, i usually just stand up, walk to a seemingly random location and produce said item, as if i put it there.

i also rarely activly remember where i put things; but if i need something i put away months ago, i can produce it within seconds; provided i'm in the same room.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

I notice a lot of things. I`m very observant especially with noise, lights, and sometimes smell.

goatswithguns
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

haruka wrote:
Ha! Yes, my wife will say, "have you seen my keys?" and I respond with "Yes, I saw them last on the table behind the couch, between the pad of paper near the phone and the remotes.

"Where is my belt?" "It's hanging in the closet, closest to you when you open it, in front of the the brown one you never wear."

I like knowing where things are.

I almost never lose anything because I have a photographic memory like this. Conversely, my boyfriend (also on the spectrum) loses things constantly so this is us every minute of every day lol.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2011, 7:33 pm

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I can remember the placement of my parent's missing pens from over several days ago or remember seeing the same car in two different places by only the license plate, yet I can place my cell phone down on a table and start panicking within a minute not remembering what I did with my phone. I guess it depends how long ago I notice things. If it's anything short term, don't ask me, because I probably won't remember

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 8:34 pm

I always notice things other's don't. I have sense I was a child. People have accused me of cheating before when my friends didn't see things I saw immediately. For example, there's a misused word here. Can you spot it? I would.

David23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2011, 12:53 am

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I have sense I was a child.
Yep, I found it. :P
Initiate On Topic Reply... OUTPUT:
Yes I do, I consider it my "Hyper Awareness" and by the way, I LOVE IT.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 4:53 pm

Yes, I often notice things that NTs don't. I very often notice sounds and smells they don't. I notice if someone has touched something in the house or moved or changed some item or even if they've just been in the room recently.

On the other hand, there are many things that NTs notice that I don't pay attention to. I for example tend to "block out" people and avoid looking at them, so I don't usually notice much what they look like. what they're wearing or doing etc.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm

I only notice things Normals do not when I am specifically looking for them, like micro-expressions, and subtle hints need to be accompanied by a sledgehammer to the pinky toes in order for me to pick up on them. And often even with those I completely miss them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

Apparently...lol I have been debating this idiot in a news and politics forum on another website....about the obvious simularites between fasicism and the way the big powerful corporations are intertwined with our government claiming we have a facist like system going on.

and I got accused of hating america, making false claims, saying Obama was like Hitler and our government were nazis...even though if this dude had any idea what I was talking about and had actually read up on the facist economic set up I am sure he would have agreed with the things I actually did say.

I guess I don't understand how anyone could not see what I was getting at.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

Yes, recently I counted the number of bulbs in my friends newly renovated ceiling within a couple of minutes of entering the room and asked whether he chose that particular number because of <I knew this number was special to him>. He was very surprised and remarked that was indeed the case, that it took a lot of trouble to have that particular number of bulbs installed, and that nobody had noticed but that I must be clever. Hehe.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:36 pm

Yeah, I remember/notice lots of things people don't. I often notice traits about people's faces that other people never notice. Like if a group of girls are trying to figure out what makes a guy we know so cute, I'll mention the angle of his eyebrows, or the width of his nose in contrast with his mouth. :P Things like that.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

I pick up on subtle things that people say and do (and notice when something in my surroundings has changed, etc...) all of the time, and then I use this information to help answer questions or figure things out. It's what fools NT's into thinking that I'm smart :) . I think it is actually quite easy to "read" people when I am simply observing a conversation (as opposed to participating) and when I have a bit of time afterward to really think about what I have seen and heard. Then I can keep these observations in mind the next time I converse with those people, and it helps me to put what they are saying into perspective.

You can learn more about a person by sitting in the corner and listening to him or her talk for 30 minutes than you could by talking to that person for 5 hours.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2011, 3:17 am

Yes.

I notice:

* Miscellaneous noises, including conversations, that others do not.
* Music being off-pitch or off-time.
* Grammatical and spelling errors, syntax errors in computer programs.
* Inconsistent/imprecise/contradictory wording in rules, regulations and laws
* Bugs in computer programs that, while they will not prevent the program from running, will eventually cause it to fail.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

Yes, I find typos all the time! I also notice whenever someone "bends" the rules (one gal I know CONSTANTLY double parks with a handicapped parking spot because there aren't enough of 'em for her to have one {she had a temporary placard because of back surgery}) same gal is constantly bringing food/drink into a no eating/drinking area...people like this I notice EVERYTHING (but wish I didn't!)