Trouble with finding objects around/in front of you? YESSS

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sraddha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Hi to everyone, I don't know if it's just me or some others Aspie have the same trouble.. 8O
When I am looking for something, any kind of object, clock, pencil, or anything else
it is not easy and usually it takes long time to find it and particularly if someone changed place to these objects
and often I discover actually was in front of me
or very visible nearby..............
and then until I find it, I become a bit obsessive...and stubborn
I want to find it as soon as possible.....even if I don't need immediately..... :lol:
often if there is someone around , friends or family members, they help me
and they find everything easily and soon.. 8O
so I am famous in my family because I can't find nothing.
Please dont' tell me....1) I am not attentive. I am very attentive person, I am buddhist and I have been practicing awareness since long time. I try to be present "here and now" :D
2) I am messy. Yeas a bit but I have this problem also in clean tidy environment 8O
3) I am blind. Actually I have eagle eyes.. 8)

So.......anyother Aspie with the same trouble???

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Yes I have exactly the same problem, I'm glad you brought this up.

Will be interesting to see how common this is among AS people and how it might relate to neurology.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 2:41 pm

Same issue. Very neat and organized, though.

It's like my brain doesn't recognize what I'm looking for when I see it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

Yes I have this all the same and I really hate myself for it. People get fed up with me in the end.

I'm fine when I'm just looking for something myself what is most likely to be in front of me. But when somebody else asks me to pass something, oh dear. It is harder than rocket science for me to find it within less than a second. It takes me so much longer than it should, and the person just ends up getting it themselves. I wonder why I can never find the object when somebody asks me to pass it to them?

It makes me look so silly.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

I have this issue, too.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:05 pm

yup me too.

my problem is when things are removed from "right under my nose" without me noticing :x

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

Non Aspie here, and I have the problem.

In my situation It arises from executive dysfunction, and it varies with load, the more "load" the greater my "EF" is tapped-- hence "blindness" envelopes.

See: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1009473.html#1009473

Joe90 started a thread herself on this too, and she may provide the link. Both are interesting.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Oh, yeah, I have this problem. It can be embarrassing at work when I'm looking for something, and then a coworker finds it right in front of me. I spend far too much of my life looking for things that are "right there." It's good to know that I'm not the only one.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

I used to have this problem but mainly with a colander! I don't know why, but every time I needed to drain pasta, I couldn't find the darned thing even if it was right under my nose! There was no excuse for it in the past because my Mum's colander is bright blue! At least the silver one is harder to spot amongst all the pans!

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 4:10 pm

I've had it and I have it now, only it became milder with age. And I think I have seen this listed as a feature often seen in ASD, and it had a name, but I can't remember it now.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2011, 8:07 pm

I can remember looking for my wallet thinking that it was in my pockets, and it was in my lap in the entire time. Can't stand it when things like this happen.

Danimal
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm

I have to put items in exactly the same place each time. If they are moved, I have to search the house to find them. I also lose my car all the time. When I leave Wal-Mart, the mall, or a restaurant, I never can remember where I parked the car. It's even worse if I drive another vehicle other than my car.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:22 pm

I do this a lot. My mom used to say to me all the time as a kid "if it had teeth, it would bite." She said it to my brothers too.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:44 pm

No, you are not the only one. My Aspie daughter and husband have the same problem. Sometimes someone (like the cleaning lady) moves their things, but some other times the things move by themselves (like a rolling pencil or a sheet of paper moved by the wind, etc) or they move something themselves and forget they did. They will become anxious, frenzy and anoying, and they usually ask me to help them find what they are trying to find. I usually ask where was the last place they saw the missing object (standard procedure) and they usually get mad at me for asking such a stupid question. Usually the object is there. They looked and did not find it. I do not understand how it works. It amazes me every time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

I also have that same problem as well.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 4:22 am

This happens to me all the time!