Any other aspies NOT into fantasy or science fiction?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

I really dislike fantasy and science fiction, I seem to be to the only one here who hates anime and video games. If I do play video games, they aren't racing or shooting games, they are games like The Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I am not allowed to play The Sims 2 because it says that it has "violence" on the back, so I am stuck with the original Sims as that one only has "mild violence". If a game is rated "M", I am not allowed to play it. I am also not allowed to watch violent movies.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

There is a thread similar to this in the video games forum. Not liking sci-fi and video games is completely normal if you're female whether you have AS or not.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Philip K. Dick is one of my two favorite authors, but I'm not a big science fiction fan in general, and he's not even very "sci fi" compared to most sci fi writers.

As for fantasy, I'm not into it one bit.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

I'm not into any of theses. To me, science fiction and fantasy are pointless. Video games are to fast paced for me to keep up.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:55 pm

Frankly, I am completely disinterested in any kind of fiction now.(though I went through a period of obsession with the Highlander series when I was younger) IDK why but today, unless I can learn something relevant to my interests now, I can't seem to get through the first chapter.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Venger wrote:
There is a thread similar to this in the video games forum. Not liking sci-fi and video games is completely normal if you're female whether you have AS or not.

Sorry. I don't read the video game forum.

Also, I forgot to mention that I do play some of the Wii games, but they are the ones like Wii Fit and Wii Sports.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I went through a period of obsession with the Highlander series when I was younger

Me too, but I was turned off by the utter failure of the sequels and TV shows to be any good at all. I still like the first movie very much, but my obsession has cooled over the years.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:02 pm

Yes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

Venger wrote:
There is a thread similar to this in the video games forum. Not liking sci-fi and video games is completely normal whether you have AS or not.

I fixed your post for you.

Name121314
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

Venger wrote:

Don't stereotype people. Females can enjoy those things.

Freak-Z
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

I don't understand how anyone can just write off an entire genre and hate something as diverse as video games just like that. But whatever floats your boat.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

Your list of "things a lot of Aspies seem to like that I don't" pretty much matches mine, OCDgirl.

I like thinking about time travel and other scientific stuff but because I think it's actually possible.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

Freak-Z wrote:
I don't understand how anyone can just write off an entire genre and hate something as diverse as video games just like that. But whatever floats your boat.

Well, OK, I like SOME video games, but I wouldn't sit in my house and play video games all day like some here do. Most of them are too violent for my parents. I have "odd" parents who are extremely strict about violence, but in most other things. (besides doing drugs, drinking alcohol and smoking and stuff), aren't strict about much.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:16 pm

I certainly don't dislike or hate them, but they're not particular interests of mine.

Actually, I read very little fiction on my own, but of the fiction that I've read, a lot of what I liked probably fits into these categories one way or another.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:07 pm

I always hated sci fi and fantasy as well. I have a theory on why I hate fanstasy so much but that's another story. I would never read something I was not intrested in without a fight and my mom eventualy realised it was a worthless cause. If I wasn't homeschooled, I would have just failed English. My best friend goes to public school and has to read 13 books and write essays on them. I could never do that. I could barely write an essay on one book. It's not like she gets to read anything cool like H.G. Wells or Lewis Carrol, she has to read really boring Jane Austin esque stuff. My mom tried to make me read a bunch of boring, "people oriented" fiction books. She realised it wasn't worth it and was making me resentful and hate learning. I also soon had a nervous breakdown around that time and I have to wonder if this helped spark it.

As for video games, I hate playing something that involves someone elses storyline. The only games I play are Sims 2 and Zoo Tycoon. Sonic the hedgehog is my newest obsession but it was the cartoons that got me into it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

I think it's funny that your parents won't let you play rated M games. Here in America, at the age of 17, you can legally buy rated M games and go to a rated R movie without parental permission. Parents always tend to forget that kind of stuff.