Describe the most socially adept Aspie you've met

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Grazia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2011, 8:14 pm

Me.

Gawdammit, I didn't even know I was Aspie until I was in my 50s. I've had no choice throughout life but to keep my head just high enough above water to prevent drowning, Blooming exhausting, but I'm finally getting used to it...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 8:25 pm

Funny how many people referred to themselves as the most socially adept aspie they've met.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Ettina wrote:
Funny how many people referred to themselves as the most socially adept aspie they've met.

As I was saying, unless someone really sticks out as being extremely aspieish, I'm not going to notice it. Therefore, it makes sense that the only aspie I know has severe impairments (and even greater benefits too).

The aspie I knew would completely ignore everything in class and work on his little robot (very similar to the one below). He could get away with doing this in class because he already knew the answers to everything. He corrected the teacher at least a few times every week. Even I didn't know what he was saying half the time, because of the way he talked. Instead of saying "It's cold out here," he would say something more like "this thermal energy level is below my recommended operating temperature." Keep in mind this guy was only one year older than me, and I was just about his only friend. He graduated a few months ago and now he's probably living in Florida (that lucky turd).

It was fun working with him in physics class though. He definitely knew what he was doing, and, like me, he enjoyed playing with the equipment. We had some good times using the amplifier to do some arc welding. I tried to build a robot similar to his, but I could not because I didn't have enough parts. We spent several hours talking about computer hardware and stuff like that. When we built rockets his was the only one to work better than mine. Mine was too heavy; it needed a bigger engine. Towards the end of that semester he built what could quite possibly be the most genius thing I've ever seen. It was a hydraulic powered jaw with teeth, complete with two periphery claws. I can't help but wonder how he did that; it turned out almost perfect in terms of joint manipulation and weight distribution.

People think I'm weird. People think I'm a genius too. But, (and this isn't just my own opinion), I'm nowhere near as severe in impairments as he is. He was so far impaired, that he seriously had no idea at all. It's like he never understood. He reminded me of the way I was when I was in the fourth grade or so. I've come a long way since then. I'm still definitely socially awkward, but this guy has me beat by far.