Describe the most socially adept Aspie you've met

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

My social skills are usually really good, and occasionally I say or do something really weird/stupid. Certain parties are very challenging and mentally exhausting, I need to figure out how to wrap my head around the situation. I've always been self-conscious about my social skills, and especially after 10th grade I've been working to improve them. What is the most socially successful Aspie you've met like?

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

One of my old kids, who is now 23 was fabulous! Miss him greatly. He did super well in social situations. He gave himself time limits and that made him feel more comfortable getting out. Most of the parties he went to in high school were organized through Facebook. He could see the faces of the people and would scour their pictures where available. He had no problem being the wallflower if he wasn't feeling too social. He almost always went with his core group of friends. And I say friends loosely. He could always rely on them to keep an eye on him. Kind of his pit crew if you will.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2011, 11:29 pm

I was taking photos at a government event once - it was an event celebrating young people with disabilities - and part of the event involved a choir that had people who had various conditions. One of the choir members was on the autism spectrum, but if he hadn't come up to me, shook my hand and said, "Hi, I'm <name> and I have autism", I wouldn't have picked it up. He was very outgoing, had good eye contact, seemed to find it easy to approach strangers and was able to hold long conversations.

He also had a carer who accompanied him, so I assume that he was quite impacted by ASD in some way.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

DarkestNight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

my brother is very socially outgoing dosent seem to have to much of a problem with any thing social but he has OCD pretty bad and has a bit of an eating disorder but its pretty funny because im like his polor oposite i dont have any other disorder besides AS but im really bad socially

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

I have never met anyone with AS who is more socially adept than me. There was a girl that came close, but I only met her once, so I don't really know.

MY SOCIAL "PROBLEMS"

-Talking about my special interest a lot
-Getting bored when someone is talking about something boring
-Interrupting
-Small talk
-Knowing how to make friends
-Understanding the "boredom" facial expression

THINGS THAT I AM NOT TOO BAD IN

-Using humour
-Understanding facial expressions and tone of voice (Other than boredom)
-Knowing when to and when not to ask personal questions
-Making eye contact
-Starting conversations with people I know
-Use of my own facial expressions
-Knowing what type of things would offend someone if I said them (usually)

I have anxiety, which makes my Asperger's worse. I also have OCD, which doesn't affect it very much but is still annoying.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

I've never met another Aspie (to my knowledge).

KinetiK
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2011, 6:04 am

The guy who runs this Asperger's support group I've been going to. He doesn't wear fashionable clothes and he has a pedantic style of speech but it comes off (to me at least) as educated, not arrogant. He is also extremely good at facial expressions and eye contact. I've learned a lot from him.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 6:12 am

I have a guy friend who's talkative, friendly and funny. He has diagnosed ASD. His speech is a bit weird though and rather disorganized, but he can go on and on and never stop talking. He has 10 siblings, maybe that helped him learn social skills.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:24 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I have never met anyone with AS who is more socially adept than me.

This. I never met someone in person who's better and diagnosed.

Some of them are simply too young to know whether they'll be better than me (likely) or not.

However, I met people with AS who had a greater potential at being more socially able than me. They spontaneously understood more of social interaction, were able to read more facial expressions and perceived more of the implicit aspects relevant to a conversation or interaction.

Yet they weren't doing better in terms of what others and I were able to see and hear from them. One was brilliant and more interested in academics and his special interests than in paying attention to games on the yard and small talk. We went to school together for a long time. He was a good person. He was better at formal conversations when we were kids.

One was particularly "cuddled" (parents said: he has AS, we can't teach him that social skill(s)), one has co-morbids that add a little to some of his autistic symptoms. The others I simply did/do not know well enough to make a guess.

But I am sure they had their reasons why even with a greater social potential they weren't doing better than me. Even if a person is not affected as bad as me in reading facial expressions, they might have it more severe in having to keep to routines, for example. That in turn could make it harder to adapt socially. Or co-morbid disorder. That can get in the way of living up to what you could do.

I went to school with a young man who I only suspect of having AS. If he has it, he is the one autistic person I met who back then has been better than me socially.

He had very noticeable verbal and motor stims, he was highly intelligent and very verbal, but had an odd posture, odd intonation, had inappropriate/non-normal social skills... so on.

He had a group of friends and was on the surface, well respected by his yearmates, though not by others because of his autistic-like behaviour. He also picked on me for my more classically autistic autism/my language difficulties from autism which I always felt made him such a hypocrite.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

Well, I know a sibling of an LFA girl and have gotten different messages from different people about whether she's aspie or NT. If she's aspie, she'd be the most socially adept aspie I've met, because she's the most popular kid in the program (a summer camp for kids with disabilities and the occasional sibling, with the most common diagnosis being ADHD).

If she's NT, it'd be me then. I make eye contact, I'm friendly and sociable, and I'm very good with kids (especially disabled kids).

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

I've only met one other Aspie in person, and all he cared about was batteries. He would obsess over them, even in the middle of class. He also used his excessive knowlege of batteries to excel in a class project, where you had to make a small scale of a carnival ride that could move. Lets just say his ferris wheel was impressive.

And that was 5 years ago...

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

I've just returned from holiday in a caravan site in Wales. I had a feeling that one of the members of staff there had Aspergers, although of course I don't know for certain and I don't know if he was aware either. The strangest thing was that he was in charge of the evening entertainment. (It would be interesting to hear from anyone on here with a similar job.) He was the bingo caller, introduced the acts and hosted a game show and quiz night. The things about him that made me think he was an Aspie were his gait, the time he took to pull up his trousers before sitting (to ensure ultimate comfort, so he wouldn't be distracted), how he spoke into the mic, but looked at the wings, not out to the crowd and he didn't do small talk with the holiday makers, yet he was friendly and cheerful. My mum commented on him pulling up his trousers, saying, 'He's quite right to make himself comfortable'. But, I think that sort of thing might make other people annoyed and wish he'd just get on with it. I think he set the questions for the quiz night and it would not surprise me in the least to be told that an Aspie had set them. He seemed very organised and it was like the perfect job for him. My daughter really loved him and he seemed to enjoy spending a little time with her looking at a book about dinosaurs. I was slightly in awe of him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Ones in my autism groups, organizing the group and being the leader of it and talking, others who are also the speaker of the group too and also lead the group. In fact I'd say lot of people there because they all are talking and looking at each other and I don't see or hear any of them going on and on about their special interests and being one sided. I would normally say myself but I blame it on my shyness and I don't know how to enter their conversations and it's hard to talk if what they are saying is boring. I am just afraid I'd get told to shut up or something if I mess up but these are aspies but they can act like NTs too if I piss them off with my aspieness (I don't mean from my group, I mean aspies in general).

tenzinsmom
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Lots of people in my Aspie group are VERY socially adept.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

I only know of one person in real life that is an aspie. I suspect a few other people, but I'm not totally sure. Any aspie who has moderately good social skills is probably not going to appear on my aspiedar.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

Me. Lol.

Above me, any socially awkward neurotypical.