Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Many of my interests are centered around music, including not just listening to one or playing an instrument, but tweaking and collecting audio reproductions units too. However, if music was taken out of my life, I would surely find other activities and interests. I wouldn't want it, though.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

swbluto wrote:
You know, I realize when people say "I can't live without music", the word "live" is metaphorical in the say way that people with jesus inside them are "alive"(i.e., they feel alive or emotionally charged.). I understand that and, yes, most are probably right when they say that.

But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead? My argument basically hinges on that interpretation, and I wonder if that's an aspie thing to do...

By 'live' I mean being physically alive. I would have thought everyone would mean this. :?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

EmmaUK12 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
You know, I realize when people say "I can't live without music", the word "live" is metaphorical in the say way that people with jesus inside them are "alive"(i.e., they feel alive or emotionally charged.). I understand that and, yes, most are probably right when they say that.

But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead? My argument basically hinges on that interpretation, and I wonder if that's an aspie thing to do...

By 'live' I mean being physically alive. I would have thought everyone would mean this. :?

Maybe they do... The world's mysteries abound. :wink:

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:38 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say that life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't listen to and play music....although life would be extremely hard and unpleasant......and I just noticed this and have to laugh at myself:

swbluto wrote:
But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead?

Sectumsempra wrote:
I use music to block out distractions. I play the same song as loud as I can, over and over (normally according to mood) so it's all I can hear.

I do this, too. (I can't lip read, though.)

Music helps me self-regulate my emotional state and helps me to focus a lot of the time.

Playing music, in particular (as opposed to listening to it) provides me with solace, and a way to express and process emotions. Listening to music is especially helpful for times of loneliness, and for understanding other people in a fuzzy sort of way.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that life wouldn't be worth living if I couldn't listen to and play music....although life would be extremely hard and unpleasant......and I just noticed this and have to laugh at myself:

swbluto wrote:
But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead?

Sectumsempra wrote:
I use music to block out distractions. I play the same song as loud as I can, over and over (normally according to mood) so it's all I can hear.

I do this, too. (I can't lip read, though.)

Music helps me self-regulate my emotional state and helps me to focus a lot of the time.

Playing music, in particular (as opposed to listening to it) provides me with solace, and a way to express and process emotions. Listening to music is especially helpful for times of loneliness, and for understanding other people in a fuzzy sort of way.

Would you happen to like the Animal Collective? A group of animal crackers could be considered an animal collective suggesting you do... :P

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

swbluto wrote:
Would you happen to like the Animal Collective? A group of animal crackers could be considered an animal collective suggesting you do... Razz

Neat observation! I never thought about that possible connection to my username....I can't say I like the Animal Collective, but I wouldn't say I dislike them either.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

My headphones broke a few months ago, and for two or three weeks I was without my music collection. I became extremely low, my appetite vanished and I found it even more difficult to sleep at night. I listened to John Lennon's Hold On and Isolation on my dad's computer one evening and felt better for a few hours, but then sunk back into depression. I felt so good when I got some new headphones.

For a long time, I didn't like music, but now that I have experienced it, I am highly dependent on my music collection.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

It wouldn't make that much of a difference to me.

I don't know, maybe it would. But I could definitely live without music, both literally and metaphorically speaking.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

I could live without it, but exercising is much more difficult without my ipod. Techno music helps me keep pace and takes my mind off any aches and pains. Sure, I could live without my ipod but it wouldn't be as fun.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm

NO.

I wouldn't last a second without beautiful music making my life full of colour and awesomeness. I couldn't survive without it

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

I think the people who can’t imagine a life without music would simply indulge in other kinds of art if they were to lose their hearing.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 9:30 pm

I like music, but I could live without it. I mean, music does not make my life worth living or anything, and I often go stretches without listening to it. It is just something else to pass the time with for me.

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I could deal with being blind but I am *extremely* auditory.

I am the opposite. I definitely would not want to lose my sense of hearing, but if I had to choose between being blind or deaf, I would definitely choose being deaf without any hesitation. I am too visual, and I do not think I could function properly without seeing.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

I think a lot of people take their sight for granted. The next time you take a shower, keep your eyes closed the whole time. Better yet, keep them closed from the moment you get out of bed until you're done with the shower and done getting ready in front of the mirror. And then there's getting around once you're outside the house...

I'll take deafness, hands down.

aelf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

I listen to music almost all day while I'm at work. It helps keep me "sane". Without it I would be even more depressed and self-destructive than I am with it. In that sense, I might very well not be able to live without it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 10:59 pm

If music did not exist, I would perish. Music is my passion, the one thing I am a genius in my own right in, the thing that keeps me the most happy.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I like music, but I could live without it. I mean, music does not make my life worth living or anything, and I often go stretches without listening to it. It is just something else to pass the time with for me.

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I could deal with being blind but I am *extremely* auditory.

I am the opposite. I definitely would not want to lose my sense of hearing, but if I had to choose between being blind or deaf, I would definitely choose being deaf without any hesitation. I am too visual, and I do not think I could function properly without seeing.

Exactly.