Page 6 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

03 Sep 2011, 12:21 am

KLG was probably one those 'popular girls' who emotionally bullied those who were considered low status when she herself was in middle school and high school. Did you see how she asked Zach if the other kids gave him a hard time for hanging out with "defective freak (in KLG's eyes)?

I put far more blame on KLG than on Zach's mom. Zach's mom probably just thought he was telling a story and KLG is the one who blew it out of proportion. Zach sounds like a decent kid and I hope Zach and Graham kept their friendship going strong after that humiliating episode (Although I'm sure it made things awkward for a while).

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 3:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
TheygoMew wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Do you know what, I am NOT classifying ''Aspies lack empathy'' as a symptom of AS. It's a human trait, some humans have it, some humans don't.

If all NTs had empathy, why is there bullying going on today? Why do people with disabilities get picked on? Lord, tell me why?! !! !!

Some people believe that only certain people (like them) deserve empathy and don't feel it for those who are not like them. Actually, rather than some I will go out on a limb and say most.

OK, but that's the same as us then. We have difficulties with empathy with NTs because we're not NTs like them, just the same as NTs have difficulties with empathy with Aspies because they're not Aspies like us. So, if you put 2 and 2 together, it's all just a human trait.

Yes. EVERYONE has a lack of empathy for certain types of people that they cannot relate to. NT's just have more people to choose from.

Yes, that's why it makes it look like we're the ones who lack empathy, because there are more NTs than there are Aspies, so we have more people to have difficulties knowing how they think. But if roughly half the population were Autistic and half were NT, then I don't think that lack of empathy would be in the ASD book. See, some of these ASD traits are more of an illusion against us, just because there are more NTs in the general population, quirks and other typical traits get hidden and just pushed onto not only Autism, but lots of other conditions too.

I think that is perfectly true. The psychologists just forget to point out what they mean by "other people".

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

Sickening, to me anyway, and that includes the horrendously corny and cringeworthy piece of dross they dared to call a song.
They seem to imply that it is some great achievement to approach and befriend someone with autism...more of a great achievement to put up with their patronising and assuming ways.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2011, 10:06 pm

CRINGE.

WTF.

Horrendously, shockingly, painfully bad. That song was in such bad taste it was insane. I knew this was going to be bad as soon as the video loaded and indicated they were somehow going to drag out this 'story' to 12 minutes. Urgh.... *facepalm*

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

When they first started reading off the story, it just seemed like a huge pity party for the autistic boy. As in the guy gets "points" for being so charitable. It just degradable to our worth.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

04 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

That clip is so wrong in so many ways I don't know what to start hating on first. Well, I guess the first bad thing was how Kathie and the other adults seemed to only praise Zach, how he's a role model just because he befriended Graham. Kathie gave Zach a pair of Cubs tickets plus a basket of other goodies, and then asked Zach what he was planning on majoring in college and how his dating situation was going. What gift did Kathie give Graham? The other Cubs ticket presumably, but I never saw him getting to hold it. Kathie never once asked if Graham was dating (even if that were to be too personal a question), never asked about his future ambitions. And that song... f***ing horrid, s*** lyrics that could've been made up on the spot and the too-high pitched voice had me wishing I'd drowned her voice out with a bottle of vodka. The part that made me the angriest was when Graham was asked what he thought of the song. When he told everyone he thought the song was sad, they laughed. As I watched Kathie laugh at Graham's comment for the third time (I replayed that part twice), on the third time I imagined Graham walking up to Kathie Lee Gifford and saying, "I'm not laughing , b***h" and doing a huge Mortal Kombat-style Brutality on her.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:32 am

alexptrans wrote:
Guys, this video... I'm just speechless. I think I'd want to kill myself if I was that little kid in the video. Please watch it, I doubt you've ever seen anything quite as ridiculous/awkward as this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwuJy07lQY[/youtube]

Haven't started watching; mom's accent at beginning is horrible, though.
Where is she from... Minnesota?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

"Ehsperger's Syndrome to be exeeehct."

Okay I'll just skip her and watch the interview.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

05 Sep 2011, 4:35 am

jmnixon95 wrote:

You better ... skip the "song" too. :roll:
(Don't say I didn't warn you.)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:37 am

They're treating him like a baby...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:38 am

Fatal-Noogie wrote:
jmnixon95 wrote:

You better ... skip the "song" too. :roll:
(Don't say I didn't warn you.)

I'm just getting there! Not skipping it lolol.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 4:49 am

TheygoMew wrote:
Nah Ive seen a more awkward interview.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hLS01uscY[/youtube]

I love this.

myaspiekidrocks
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

Oh my gosh, iI just saw the kathie lee video. I'm the mother of an aspie and it would be a cold day in hell before I'd subject him to that nonsense. They acted like the kid had three heads. What idiots. I had to shut the song off because it just infuriated me!

On another subject, I have a question for any one who could help me. My son is 13 and sometimes has trouble controlling his "tv talk." I know it's a stim for him and I'm trying to respect that sometimes he needs this outlet, but it's difficult because sometimes it drives the family crazy. I've told him he can do it as much as he wants in his room but not so much when the family is trying to have time together, like at the dinner table or playing a game, etc. I want him to learn that it's important for all of us to respect each other's needs so that he'll have an easier time in school and throughout life.

Thanks!

My son isn't disabled. Asperger's is his special gift from God.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

Isn't it interesting how the Normie athlete gets all the nice gifts and praise, then the Autie boy gets a sh***y song about how worthless he is, sung by a washed-up b***h who's had way too much Botox for her own good and an equally hideous Amazonian He-Woman? The whole program had this "I can't believe this amazing God-amongst-men athlete is actually downgrading himself to be seen in public with this freak" vibe about it.

AllieKat wrote:
Too disgusting for words...how KLG and their crew treat Zach like a hero and Graham like he doesn't have feelings. They laugh at him multiple times and give Zach the gift basket with all the goodies and make such a f***ing big deal about putting the Cubs Tix in the basket for both of them to go to a game together. Then, they ask Zach all the 'cool' questions while either virtually ignoring Graham and laughing at him the few times they do give him a chance to speak.

The song was horrid but what was a hundred times worse than the song itself was the way the crew mocked Graham's reaction. Instead of showing empathy for his plight, they joke about 'jazzing up the lyrics'.

And they say, we Aspies lack empathy?

I hereby confer upon you the coveted status of +1.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

Todesking wrote:
Sounds like someone's mommy wants a cookie for her NT son having a pet autistic kid. I bet the NT' kid's mother will include this video clip with her son's college applications show what a great person he is.

yeah.....

AinsleyHarte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2013, 5:16 pm

I couldn't even finish watching that. My cat began furiously scratching on his scratching post in protest to the song, so I took it as a sign to turn it off and avoid doing any more damage due to my morbid curiosity to see beyond that song.

Aspie score: 180 / 200 - NT score: 25 / 200
Aloof: 112 / Rigid: 109 / Pragmatic: 117
AQ: 47