Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

One thing I hear often in the break room at work is complaints when two rival sports teams are no longer playing in the same circuit.

I always hear about the "classic rivalry".

I've never understood this.

To me, a rivalry is a situation where one is up against the other, one wins, and then another competitor comes up to bat against the winner. Either that, or the one wins, and that's it.

Unless I'm up against a friend in a video game, my rivalry is never in good fun; it's a competition to win. I fail to understand the point of continuous rivalries.

Great example: He-Man fighting Skeletor. At some point, it's gonna be "end game"; that's the point. One will triumph over the other; that's what makes it interesting.

Otherwise I see it as totally trivial.

Any thoughts on this?

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:28 am

I'm confused about your question...are you saying that competing should never be fun and you should just be focused on win win win?

Because if it's that, I disagree...I think it should be sometimes serious (like when you are in a sports game/meet) and sometimes lighthearted and fun. I used to take every I mean EVERY competition seriously, and it hurt my self-esteem....so I quit doing that....it's all about balance there.

If you are talking about it being continuous....then IDK.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 1:45 am

chrissyrun wrote:
I'm confused about your question...are you saying that competing should never be fun and you should just be focused on win win win?

Because if it's that, I disagree...I think it should be sometimes serious (like when you are in a sports game/meet) and sometimes lighthearted and fun. I used to take every I mean EVERY competition seriously, and it hurt my self-esteem....so I quit doing that....it's all about balance there.

If you are talking about it being continuous....then IDK.

yes I was referring to the continuous aspect. That's why it's called a "classic rivalry".

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 2:01 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:

yes I was referring to the continuous aspect. That's why it's called a "classic rivalry".[/quote]

Hmmmm, well, I know about that kind of rivalry with my siblings, other than that. :shrug:

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:08 am

It's a rivalry because people care about who they're beating. This slowly develops over time until it almost becomes more important than the game itself.

Classic rivalries are often based on individual and very important matches or because the teams are geographically close to each other. In the first case, it's a matter of revenge. In the second case, the fan bases often overlap and people like it when their team has beaten their neighbour's team.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 6:49 am

Yes, it is usually either two local teams, or otherwise it's two teams who've maintained a similar high standard over time in vying to be No. 1 in their circuit. In one sense, these types of rivalries are fun and light hearted. In another sense, because they become more important than the game itself, they become an excuse to be divisive and of hatred.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:22 am

Keeno wrote:
Yes, it is usually either two local teams, or otherwise it's two teams who've maintained a similar high standard over time in vying to be No. 1 in their circuit. In one sense, these types of rivalries are fun and light hearted. In another sense, because they become more important than the game itself, they become an excuse to be divisive and of hatred.

Well, I found it getting idiotic at two key points:

1. When each team starts making jokes at each other's expense.

2. When people are actually complaining that--since the teams are heading to different circuits--the "classic rivalry" will no longer be maintained.

That's the point I think it heads into mundane and idiotic.

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

Sports teams generally do not defeat eachother in an epic final showdown - there's always next season, so to speak.