The most misunderstood condition ever?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:40 am

I think that autism/aspergers is the most misunderstood condition ever and its so fustrating. Autism is one of the most horrifying things which NT parents wish that their child will never have. I'm so used to getting misunderstood that I know when Im in the middle of situation which someones misunderstanding me. Do I have the communication skills to make them understand me, often not. When it comes to aspergers, people just dont get it cause they see disabilities in a more all or nothing view ironically to all those NTs who can supposedly think in shades of gray.

Im a college graduate, with one of the hardest majors ever, I look and dress NT, I've lived away from home, I have friends, I have an high IQ, I have inconsistent spurts of communicating like an NT, does it mean I'm NT? No. It just means, Im mild enough on the spectrum and I worked my ass on almost every aspect of my life. Does it mean I dont still have communication issues, no.

To the NTs who know me the best, my problems are "normal". I just apparently have an extensive amount of "normal" problems to a significantly higher severity. Thats like me trying to compare myself to someone downright autistic. Uhh yeah we still got communication problems but the intensity of an autistic persons problems dont compare. Cause Im way milder on the spectrum.

Last edited by Ai_Ling on 19 Aug 2011, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:19 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
I think that autism/aspergers is the most misunderstood condition ever

It isn't really. I have other conditions and I promise you they are just as misunderstood.

You have to understand that in some realms, the thinking and understanding of NT's becomes just as black and white and literal as those with AS, if not, then more so.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Aug 2011, 5:36 am

Chronos wrote:
It isn't really. I have other conditions and I promise you they are just as misunderstood.

You have to understand that in some realms, the thinking and understanding of NT's becomes just as black and white and literal as those with AS, if not, then more so.

Indeed. When I started researching ADHD, I found an extreme amount of misunderstanding about it. When I first researched fibromyalgia (years before I even knew I had it), I found an extreme amount of misunderstanding about it. It's the same for so many conditions, it just seems that a lot of people have little respect, concern, or empathy for people who vary from the "expected norm."

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 7:33 am

Verdandi wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Indeed. When I started researching ADHD, I found an extreme amount of misunderstanding about it. When I first researched fibromyalgia (years before I even knew I had it), I found an extreme amount of misunderstanding about it. It's the same for so many conditions, it just seems that a lot of people have little respect, concern, or empathy for people who vary from the "expected norm."

More people know about AS/autism than Tourette syndrome and dystonia. I also have encountered a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding about both conditions. The most common being that 'the majority of people with TS swear'. Only 10% actually swear. I have to explain dystonia to everyone I meet because no one seems to have heard of it (until I use it's more common name of 'writers cramp' because mine is focussed around the wrist). In comparison people's knowledge of autism is much better. I'm not saying that it is perfect though because I do get people assuming that I am either learning disabled or super intelligent when actually I am average with a couple of specific learning difficulties.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 7:35 am

I think the key is that it's not causing THEM too much of a problem.

I bet that if you had a breakdown, they'd be surprised, "Oh, but she copes so well..."
AAAARGH *turns into axe murderer out of frustration*

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 7:37 am

Down Syndrome, since there is actually physical evidence.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

OP - Did you intend for your post to be entitled 'The most misunderstood condition ever?'.

If so, you've missed out the 'mis', which might cause this thread to be the most misunderstood thread ever.
:?

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:04 am

There are things that are alot more misunderstood than AS and Autism. Bipolar Disorder & Schizophrenia for example. Theres so much ignorance and myth surrounding them its disgusting. People who discriminate against the mentally ill are just the most nasty ignorant f**ks I have ever met.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
OP - Did you intend for your post to be entitled 'The most misunderstood condition ever?'.

If so, you've missed out the 'mis', which might cause this thread to be the most misunderstood thread ever.

It's an understandable thread either way because if she meant "The most understood condition ever?", that would mean she's asking for conditions that are understood more than ASDs are.

danum
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2011, 10:35 am

People might not understand other syndromes, but it's the hidden aspect of Asperger's which really spooks people. Our symptoms aren't obvious and our behaviour isn't as they'd expect and so we tend to be shunned and feared.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

danum wrote:
People might not understand other syndromes, but it's the hidden aspect of Asperger's which really spooks people. Our symptoms aren't obvious and our behaviour isn't as they'd expect and so we tend to be shunned and feared.

This.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

I meant it, Is autism/aspergers the most misunderstood condition ever? As in I was asking a question. If there are other conditions that are just as misunderstood or even more, then lemme know about them. And yes people have brought in some.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

I meant it, Is autism/aspergers the most misunderstood condition ever? As in I was asking a question. If there are other conditions that are just as misunderstood or even more, then lemme know about them. And yes people have brought in some.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

18 Aug 2011, 1:54 pm

IMO, I don't care if Aspergers is misunderstood. I just care if the person takes steps to actually understand Aspergers.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 2:18 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Ai _Ling I just meant you've missed out the 'mis' part of 'misunderstood', so the title of your thread reads 'The most understood condition ever?'

I honestly became confused when I read one post. I couldn't understand if he was saying 'yes' to the question you actually asked or the one you meant to ask. Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 12:55 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Ai_Ling wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Ai _Ling I just meant you've missed out the 'mis' part of 'misunderstood', so the title of your thread reads 'The most understood condition ever?'

I honestly became confused when I read one post. I couldn't understand if he was saying 'yes' to the question you actually asked or the one you meant to ask. Sorry, I don't mean to be pedantic.

Sorry bout that. I wrote that last night right before I was about to fall asleep and I wrote my reply right when I woke up. I just got on new meds that make me sleepy so...i was tired basically.