Do people see you as a complete idiot or a complete genius?

Page 4 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2011, 11:43 am

I think it's about 50/50. A lot of people actually tell me I'm intelligent and asking me for help in work...but a lot of people also treat me like an idiot, give me simple tasks to do and blame me for things that have been done wrong before they've even looked into it.

I kinda see myself as an idiot though, so yeah...

NicoleR
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

I'm viewed as pretty smart, in English they have a lot of copies of my essays about different poets on our courses and my view of the film "Inside I'm Dancing". It's actually only been my own view that I'm stupid because I fail at really basic things e.g. socially etc. My geography teacher treats me like I'm stupid unintentionally, I understand nearly all the information I just can't write all down in the time limit given.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

I was told I that I am a total idiot and as well that I am a genius. However, nobody has ever mentioned that I could be somewhere in between. Personally, think I am both. I never had problems in school or with my university degrees, but I moved out 4 years ago and I still don't manage "easy" tasks like paying my bills in time and buying myself food and stuff like that.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

People I deal with quickly get that I'm quite intelligent but they can't seem to reconcile that with my quirks and attitude.

AlbusSeverus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

Most people think I have a intellectual disability. I don't. But a lot of people have trouble telling the difference between autism and intellectual disability.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

I have an above average IQ, retain and love facts and can rattle them off, and have a good vocabulary. So in an intellectual way, I think I am precieved as smart. But I miss social cues, say inappropriet things, have no sense of fashion, and have big trouble keeping up a conversation. So in that way I believe I am precieved for what I am: A social midget mind.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

I don't know or care. I've been called both, however its quite a subjective label to be imposed on anyone, don't you think?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

devark wrote:
I don't know or care. I've been called both, however its quite a subjective label to be imposed on anyone, don't you think?

Don't be stupid.

:P

mimsytheborogove

14 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm

I'm regularly amazed to find that people I work with think I'm super-smart. If you put stock in IQs, I am; but I still feel as though I act like a complete moron most of the time. lol

misterwackydoodle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

mimsytheborogove wrote:
I'm regularly amazed to find that people I work with think I'm super-smart. If you put stock in IQs, I am; but I still feel as though I act like a complete moron most of the time. lol

hummm, i'm with you on that one.

LususNaturae

15 Aug 2011, 8:22 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Both.

And at times, I must admit, I fit each description.

This.

I learned long ago that when I think I'm the smartest person in the room, I will be disproven, and if I think I'm the dumbest person in the room, I will be disproven.

I'm moderately intelligent (130-140 iq or so), but don't really seem to have done much with my intelligence. I'm good at passing tests. That's pretty much it.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 8:42 am

LususNaturae wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Both.

And at times, I must admit, I fit each description.

This.

I learned long ago that when I think I'm the smartest person in the room, I will be disproven, and if I think I'm the dumbest person in the room, I will be disproven.

I'm moderately intelligent (130-140 iq or so), but don't really seem to have done much with my intelligence. I'm good at passing tests. That's pretty much it.

An IQ of 130 puts you in the top 2.2%, so I'd say you were 'highly intelligent', not moderately. I'm very similar on both intelligence and what I've actually done with my life. I keep thinking I'll do something when I actually become an adult.

orionnebula

15 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

im not sure. i dont think people have ever viewed me as either an idiot or a genius. more like dumb or smart. i dont think ive ever been called smart and i dont think i am smart either, im too busy dissecting each little detail i lose the big picture=im confused a lot. however, i have been called creative a lot and i agree with that.

Last edited by orionnebula on 18 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

4.0s or Fs. It doesn't matter. I'm thought of as an idiot by strangers and close people alike.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

At first impression:
We (all men) were in a line to pay to watch "Iron Man" at the Cinema, and I was the last one of our family. I handed him a $20 and he short changed me with one dollar and some change. He gave me a "1" instead of a "10,"thinking that the One and the One on the Ten would escape notice. I noticed this when I got inside the building, so I U-turned back and told him he what he did, and the funny thing is he didn't hesitate to pay me correctly. He quickly knew what he did, and handed the money back without an apology. I heard someone else in the theatre say the same thing.
At face value I get taken for someone who is vulnerable. I've been the target of con men. I must "look" stupid.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

i was always told, and still am told occasionally by parents etc: "dont be so stupid/silly/etc" and if you get told that time after time even though its only in their eyes or whatever, you just end up believing it, or if not believing it, questioning yourself over it....

"and one day a lemming will fly, and they'll have the last laugh" - Fitz, Cracker

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml