Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

I just told my general physician that I'm an aspie and it went really, really well!

She's a fairly young doctor and I thought she'd be pretty open to talking about it. I was pleasantly surprised at how supportive she was of my self-diagnosis. We talked about why I think I have Asperger's, that there isn't much medically to do for it for me (I'm 54, on anti-depressants for OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, and dysthemia, and have gained a lot of coping skills over the years). She'd like to see the outcomes of the various tests I've taken.

I told her that I wasn't looking for a formal diagnosis at this point, that I might change my mind about that in the future, and I would talk with her if I did. I did tell her that I was diagnosed with OCD, generalized anxiety disorder, and dysthemia (a form of depression) several years ago, and mentioned that those three conditions are comorbid with Asperger's (about 65%, I believe). I told her that I wasn't too surprised that I wasn't tested for Asperger's twelve years ago when I went through neurological testing, for Asperger's awareness has taken a while to work its way into the medical community. She agreed.

While speaking with her, I noticed that I was looking her in the eye, and commented on that. I told her that I've found ways of passing for normal much of the time, but that it was an awful lot of work and tired me out. She told me she was impressed with the several ways that I'd found to cope with Asperger's and that I'd obviously done a great deal of reading and thinking about my challenges over the years.

She told me that her profession missed the boat with regard to diagnosing Asperger's for many people.

She asked me if it was a relief when I realized that I had Asperger's. I told her it was a wonderful relief, that for the first time I understood that there were many others like me, and that I wasn't some fluke, that I wasn't alone. She seemed quite glad for me.

I was worried about talking with her about this. It couldn't have gone better.

I'm having a very good day.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:23 pm

Good to hear that!

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

Congrats. It is always nice to find a friendly ear.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

I've been thinking about mentioning this to my doctor.. so even though Im not guaranteed the same reaction, its nice to see

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

That's great news! I wonder how it'll be when I tell my family doctor. She doesn't believe I have it so I went to get private diagnosis. She's pretty old, though, about 60.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 9:48 pm

I was nervous because of some of the lackluster reactions that I read about here. I considered not telling here, being afraid that she wouldn't take me seriously or that she'd push me for a formal diagnosis.

I'm glad I did it. I'm afraid that not everyone will get the reaction I did, but perhaps some of those who are holding back might find their doctors more open to the discussion than is feared.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:05 pm

Whenever I expect a situation not to go well, it usually does. Whenever I think something will be easy, it never is.

CrouchingOwl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2011, 12:48 am

Sounds wonderful. I've noticed many people I tell either tend to react very well or to forget the jist of what I told them. Some people do go crazy on me, but by in large its not frequent.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2011, 1:00 am

I'm glad that you were able to broach the topic with your doctor and that it was received well.

I think it still might be a good idea to get a formal assessment, if only to confirm your suspicions. I also find that with an official dx, you are then open to some services which might be of benefit to you. Perhaps you might want to look around and see what services are available for people with ASD and see if they might be applicable for you.

Personally I found that having the formal dx has helped in getting some accommodations for uni.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 2:36 am

My kidney doctor says I do not look like I have Aspergers syndrome. I guess the two psychologists who told me I am autistic were wrong or do not know what they are talking about. Especially the psychologist that I go to that has Aspergers himself. :roll:

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

Congratulations.
I had a recent discussion just like you with my GP but I did follow it through with formal diagnosis.
He gave me a copy of the dx and assured me my records at the practice would be updated.

Just yesterday while I was at the practice nurse for something else I noticed on her computer a banner on the screen "X Asperger's" so that put me at ease that I didn't have to 'perform' being comfortable being there.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

Todesking wrote:
My kidney doctor says I do not look like I have Aspergers syndrome.

I suppose that is a good thing they do not allow kidney doctors to diagnose ASDs! LOL

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

SmallFruitSong wrote:
I'm glad that you were able to broach the topic with your doctor and that it was received well.

I think it still might be a good idea to get a formal assessment, if only to confirm your suspicions. I also find that with an official dx, you are then open to some services which might be of benefit to you. Perhaps you might want to look around and see what services are available for people with ASD and see if they might be applicable for you.

Personally I found that having the formal dx has helped in getting some accommodations for uni.

Unfortunately, I went through a lot before they were making diagnoses of Asperger's. At 54, I doubt I'd be able to use accomodations for much. If things get worse, I can always reevaluate the situation.

I'm open to looking for an official diagnosis, but I probably won't pursue that unless something changes.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

I told my dentist and dental hygenist. My appointments are always filled with uncomfortable attemps at small talk. I finally just said look I have aspergers and I really don't do small talk, so lets just do the appointment in quiet. I think it worked out well, its much more comfortable for all parties involved now. No akwardness anymore.

I just have to get past the "here can you solve the rubics cube again, someone else wants to see". They're so easily amused.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

Cash__ wrote:
I told my dentist and dental hygenist. My appointments are always filled with uncomfortable attemps at small talk. I finally just said look I have aspergers and I really don't do small talk, so lets just do the appointment in quiet. I think it worked out well, its much more comfortable for all parties involved now. No akwardness anymore.

I just have to get past the "here can you solve the rubics cube again, someone else wants to see". They're so easily amused.

The dentist isn't too much of a problem. How much small talk can possibly be expected when they're cleaning out your mouth? You kinda need to be able to use it to talk.