Are you more sensitive to the heat or the cold?

Page 3 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Which are you more sensitive to?
Heat 48%  48%  [ 126 ]
Cold 34%  34%  [ 89 ]
Both 15%  15%  [ 38 ]
Neither 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 260

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

Deuterium wrote:
I don't understand how anyone drinks hot tea or coffee as fast as they do. I have to wait for a good five or ten minutes before I can take a sip without burning myself. Whenever I hear someone say "It's fine, it's not very hot at all" I end up cursing myself for believing them after ending up burned.

I like coffee at room temperature, and while I like cold water and soda, I don't like it ice cold because I'll get an "ice cream headache."

Oh, and red wine at room temperature is awesome.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 1:44 am

I voted cold. Although I'm not too sure. I get hot quite easily and don't use a lot of covers or wear loads of clothes. I don't mind being hot, though. I can sit in a hot room (30 C or more) for quite a while without wanting to open the window. And I do not ever use A/C, fan or even keep my bedroom window open at night.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 2:32 am

Deuterium wrote:
I don't understand how anyone drinks hot tea or coffee as fast as they do. I have to wait for a good five or ten minutes before I can take a sip without burning myself. Whenever I hear someone say "It's fine, it's not very hot at all" I end up cursing myself for believing them after ending up burned.

This keeps happening to me as well. I've learned to not trust anyone who tells me that something is okay to eat/drink.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 2:40 am

I'm impervious to heat - I can exercise in 100 degree weather with sweat rolling off my face like raindrops and not bat an eyelash. Cold doesn't affect me much either - when I was a child, I used to go outside in the snow in shorts and a tanktop.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 5:07 am

Deuterium wrote:

Heat in general makes me very irritable. In the summer I am probably not so enjoyable to be around (not that I claim to be the most fun person in the winter).

Exactly the same for me. My husband has drunk a whole cup of coffee whilst I haven't taken more than a sip (and mine is cooled with a little milk, his is black, so hotter).

I'm looking forward to the autumn, although we don't get many hot days in Scotland, anyway. When we do, they are usually unbearably humid too, which is even worse than dry heat. I also hate the way my hair feels as it's so curly and just goes frizzy and unkempt.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 9:08 am

i dislike heat intensely. i have underactive sweat glands, and i do not sweat except in extreme conditions (eg: physical labor on a 38 degree (c) day), and even then i only get some mild beading on my forehead.

my internal temperature can not be controlled by the process of sweat evaporation, and so i start to feel delirious and nauseous when i am subjected to prolonged high temperatures.

other people i see are grateful for a breeze, and they open their shirts and let the breeze blow past their bodies and it cools them off. i feel breezes on hot days as furnace blasts, because i do not have any sweat to evaporate.

i do feel relieved if a breeze blows past my forehead if i have some beads of sweat on it, but that relief is localized only to my forehead. it would be good to have that relief "body wide" when a breeze blows past my body like other people do.

i must seek air conditioning constantly on hot days.
during summer, i have the central air conditioning system set at 19 C (66F) 24 hours per day. it is very expensive . i employ the air conditioning in my car at all times. i only go to places that are air conditioned, and that i can reach within a few minutes of getting out of my car.

i have a very good tolerance to low temperatures.
i rarely feel cold. i have a layer of baby fat that i never lost, and it seems to always keep me warm. on very low temperature days, i mostly wear t-shirts when "tough" people (who see me as a "soft baby who has no clue") are wearing parka's and other cold weather attire (like beanies and gloves etc). i do not care because my inner temperature stability more than equals the cooling power of the air around me, and i remain warm.
there are limits however to how cold things can be before i start to feel uncomfortable.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

The heat I cannot stand. The cold however, yes.

Put me in the snow in my boxers and I will love it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

Both. I can hardly bear to walk past the chilled foods in a supermarket, because when I do, I feel the cold acutely on the back of my hands. And excessive heat makes me feel physically sick.

I seem to need a very narrow environmental temperature range, maybe 22-23C. Often I just can't get comfy, and keep alternately overheating and freezing as I try to regulate things with clothes, blower fans and heater thermostats. The feeling I really hate is when my core is too hot while my fingers and toes are too cold.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 10:26 am

I am more sensitive to cold that I am to heat. I don't usually even sweat in the summers, though I am admittedly not very active. but cold...I cannot handle cold. even having the AC blow on me drives me nuts.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

I voted "neither", but that is assuming that we're discussing weather and not water, surfaces, etc.

I can go out and do a labor job in the sun when it's 115 degrees, and I can go outside in a blizzard with no shirt, no problem. But when it comes to water, I can't stand fluctuation in the shower water temp, etc.

Charles

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Both. I can hardly bear to walk past the chilled foods in a supermarket, because when I do, I feel the cold acutely on the back of my hands. And excessive heat makes me feel physically sick.

I seem to need a very narrow environmental temperature range, maybe 22-23C. Often I just can't get comfy, and keep alternately overheating and freezing as I try to regulate things with clothes, blower fans and heater thermostats. The feeling I really hate is when my core is too hot while my fingers and toes are too cold.

Last night I was at the supermarket with my fiance, in the refrigerated section. He was holding one of the doors open while checking out the ice cream flavors, and the cold that poured out felt painful on my skin. I also suffer from having my core be too hot while my extremities are cold. :x

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

If the temperature rises above about 24C, I start getting nauseous. Heat seems to trigger migraines for me--not sure why.

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2011, 12:37 pm

The results here are quite interesting, any NT I have asked about this matter always says that they are more sensitive to the cold and prefer hot weather.

But I prefer cold weather, not just it makes me feel more physically comfortable, but because I love walking the streets on my own, while others sit in their houses shivering. In the summer, everywhere seems more crowded.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

i love them both but i can't bare the extremes of either one of them..
to me it often is too cold or too warm.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Clayman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2011, 9:47 am

I'm oversensitive to heat but I love the cold. I only wear a jacket if it's snowing or raining really. Otherwise it's a T-shirt even during winter.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

I am very sensitive to heat. At about 75 degrees I am starting to get hot. By 80 I am very sad. On the other hand I don't think I have ever been to cold...And I have enjoyed temperatures down to -10 with proper clothing...