Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

I'm living on my own.

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

I am a loner most of the time and works for me.. when I feel bad I go outdoors... it helps most of the time
sometime it just sucks, hate that

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

14 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

I'm more alone in a roomful of people than I am when I'm actually on my own.
But I'm content living on my own and, usually, busy with something and free of distractions.

mimsytheborogove
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2011, 10:26 pm

I'm 30 and have been on my own for almost a year now (a combination of wanting to save up to buy, rather than rent, and a general scaredy-cat mentality about leaving home). I really enjoy being on my own, but I think it might not be so great for me. The more evenings I spend alone, the less I want to spend out with other people.

Darn cable tv; Dr Who and Battlestar are robbing me of my need for actual people.

Kellaway225
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2011, 7:20 pm

I dont fully live on my own, i rent a room but for the most part i am on my own i see the other people maybe once a week (for rent money) and maybe here and there around the house, say a few words then leave.

I dont normally feel lonely its normally emotional swings i have - one minute fine, the next depressed and/or alone unfortunately found no way to get rid of it yet, some times lasts minutes other times it has lasted hours or even days

Of course i would rather live with people that i know and like (VERY important) so that if/when i feel lonely or anything at least i can talk to them or something

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 7:26 pm

I have lived by myself for 3 weeks, now.
Sometimes it feels ok; oftentimes it doesn't....
I am doing ok alone, but I still miss the good times we had when my wife was at home with me....
Friends DO help, but I'm not really used to being alone so much. Wishing for a change for the better.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Callista wrote:
I'm a naturally content loner. I do have a big need to exchange ideas, though. That, I do on the Internet--writing is my preferred communication method anyway.

Couldn't have said that any better.

Ditto.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2011, 8:55 pm

PseudointellectualHorse wrote:
The perfect balance is elusive. Too alone? Too crowded? In a compromised world, I've found myself more comfortable being alone than crowded. It's easier if you have a sense that you have a choice in the matter, rather than having isolation forced upon you..

Same.

I feel lonely sometimes. Usually when I find myself wishing there were other people around, it's because I want to share whatever thought or interest I am currently excited about ... but when I do, they usually have no idea what I'm talking about and/or are not interested. So, in that sense, the presence of other people doesn't really help much.

smem
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

I live alone and I am extremely lonely. I spend too much time inside watching tv or reading, I don't get enough sunlight or exercise (even tho I try) and I'm afraid I could go my whole life in here without anyone ever knowing I existed. I'm not dealing with it too well obviously.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

I've been living in my own apartment for 12 years now, and apart from a short period of a few months I lived alone. I was never totally alone though, since I work, meet my colleagues on weekdays, visit my parents on nearly every weekend, and meet my friends and acquaintances. I think I would feel a lot more lonely if I lost my job and couldn't visit my parents for a longer period. The way I live now I don't feel lonely, or maybe a little bit. On the other hand, if I lived in a relationship, I would definitely feel overwhelmed sometimes, anxious of not doing my routine, being deprived of most of my special interests.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

smem wrote:
I live alone and I am extremely lonely. I spend too much time inside watching tv or reading, I don't get enough sunlight or exercise (even tho I try) and I'm afraid I could go my whole life in here without anyone ever knowing I existed. I'm not dealing with it too well obviously.

welcome to our club smem :)
at least you are not the only lonely one.
you handle it as well as any reasonable person could expect.

To the Loneliest One -

"There is in certain living souls
A quality of loneliness unspeakable
So great it must be shared
As company is shared by lesser beings.
Such a loneliness is mine; so know by this
That in immensity
There is one lonelier than you
."

[Theodore Sturgeon- 1918-1985]

A quote from Theordor Seuss Geisel ["dr. seuss"]:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those that mind, don't matter."

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

I've never lived alone for very long... It's kind of an irony, in that I like my own space, and I hate being disturbed or interfered with, but I also don't like having nobody to talk to, or to just know that there's another person nearby. Somehow that's more comfortable than being alone. I have lived alone for periods of time after my parents died when I was 21, and when not in a relationship, but I always had a job, and plenty of things to do to keep busy. I don't like more than one other person (my wife :-) ) to live with me either. Three's a crowd, and I can only put up with houseguests for a few days before I feel invaded. And I'm grateful that we're in a big house, because I'd go nuts if we lived in a small place and were falling over each other and any guests.

Charles