Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 6:17 am

I like to wear modern good looking clothes. if the weather is not too warm. I check the weather what clothes I should wear. Ok. Now I like the look of jaccets / jacketts (Sakko). But these exactly this, good looking jackets, nothing more. If the weather is too warm, I do not need a jacket, if it's too cold, I need something better, same goes with rain / snow. And as well, why should I wear a jacket indoor? Normaly it is warm enough so no jacket is required, right? Why do soooo many people wear jackets indoor, even when the temp is too high for that? Who understand why people wear nice jacketts indoor and can explaint that to me?

- Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
I am an IT and Aviation Nerd!
- Asperger diagnosis / Autism spectrum diagnosis official 04/2016
- self diagnosis 2008

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

I suppose it depends on what is "too warm".

I am female. I notice that I get colder faster than males.
Even now, I am wearing a jumper and a woollen cap while sitting in front of the computer.

I'm quite slim, and designed for tropical countries. I suppose that if I put on more weight, I could be a bit warmer.

My husband died. And now I have an electric blanket.
When he was alive, I used him as my hot water bottle. :D

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 6:30 am

well, I am talking about office clothes like this one: Ok it's a german shop, but pictures are all you need to know what I am talking about... so why to wear this indoors when it is warm enough or even too warm a summer or whatever that just pants and a nice shirt would do? http://www.neckermann.de/Zweireiher%20% ... 13614&sz=1

If I go outside where the temp is not too warm, I choose to use my jackett, if it is raining I use my skippi long coat... you get the idea what I am talking about?

- self diagnosis 2008

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2011, 6:36 am

It's a costume that signifies a certain role in life. People dress that way if they are in that role, or if they aspire to it.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 6:47 am

I know someone who ironed the front of his shirt, but not the back.
Keeping the jacket on means it didn't show.

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2011, 7:04 am

why wear a costume? Why wear a uniform outside of a military role? Like a office suit, I do not understand why people have the need to look all the same and not show individuality? Oh YES, they choose a realy colorfull tie! Yes, they show individuality big time! Yes! Wearing a neck warming peace of not usefull textile just for the look. I wear it sometimes, but I do not understand why I have to wear it, like for job interviews.... If I feel the need to wear something for decoration, I have a collection of Texas Ties. I love these much more then a typical small and long peace of colorful textile.

- self diagnosis 2008

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

I love costumes and suits and whatnot.

I also love wearing my coat or jacket in doors and do 90% of the time, and anytime I can get away with it outside (anything barring 90 degrees plus usually, albeit a lighter jacket)

People wear those jackets because it fulfills the societal role. It's often dress code for a job. Companies want their employees to all look nice and similar because it leaves less grey area for something inappropriate, and then they won't have to deal with it, most likely. I am just making guesses though.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:19 am

I think you're thinking too hard about it. People have a personal preference in temperature.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:48 am

I kind of wish suits were standard for women. Shopping is so overwhelming and I never seem to get an outfit put together properly. Sometimes I think it would be nice to just have a bunch of suits and only have to worry if the tie matches.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 11:52 am

There are suits for women. Gorgeous fitted suits, feminine and businesslike.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:55 am

Inside, in the summer particularly (right now!) being naked does admittedly feel the best. Not if it's slightly too cold, and I guess underpants, at least, make it more comfortable (crotch wouldn't get abraded). Of course, since we're not supposed to be like that outside, where it might be even hotter, I am simply not going out at all in this infernal temperature!

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2011, 11:57 am

SilentScream wrote:
There are suits for women. Gorgeous fitted suits, feminine and businesslike.

I should try this. I'm sure standing and being fitted (blergh!! !) would be worth the end result.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Lol. They don't have to be custom made.
It's just a fitting design. I don't tend to wear dresses to work. It's got to be a dress down day for that.

Buck-oh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

IkeSiCwan wrote:
why wear a costume? Why wear a uniform outside of a military role? Like a office suit, I do not understand why people have the need to look all the same and not show individuality? Oh YES, they choose a realy colorfull tie! Yes, they show individuality big time! Yes! Wearing a neck warming peace of not usefull textile just for the look. I wear it sometimes, but I do not understand why I have to wear it, like for job interviews.... If I feel the need to wear something for decoration, I have a collection of Texas Ties. I love these much more then a typical small and long peace of colorful textile.

Businesses have a good reason for instituting a dress code at unskilled positions and lower pay levels, the general public can't be trusted to wear something appropriate into a work environment. When dress codes are relaxed, there's always at least one person who insists on wearing a top that proudly shows off her navel piercings and leaves no doubt in anyone's mind the color of her areolas. Guys tend to be worse with wearing clothes that are far to casual to even be worn in public. At least with a uniform or a dress code, the company has some control over their image with their employees.

Ties are an accessory, not a novelty or gimmick item. You wear a tie to pull color out of your suit and shirt. I have a few Star Wars ties, a few "celluloid" film ties, but those ties are novelties, they're attention getters and worn for fun, not part of an ensemble. Brightly colored suits or ridiculous prints are gimmicks, western men's wear should be strong and subtle, not flashy and bright.

Why do people wear jackets indoors beyond practical use? Aesthetics. A well tailored suit and tie look good. Formal and western apparel for men is based on tradition. The suit has been stripped down, no one wears ruffled shirts, and very few people wear the vest as part of a three piece suit anymore. There are suits styled for business, and suits styled for clubbing and social events (usually a jacket that has fewer than 2 buttons or more than 3 is not businesswear). Wearing something inappropriately casual in an environment sends a message to people that you don't care, or that it's just not worth your time.

Personally, I can't understand why the Nehru Jacket went out of fashion. It has a sleek minimalistic look and it's a much more functional jacket than the blazer. I totally understand why leisure suits and powder blue suits went out though.

exch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

I have always been greatly opposed to dress codes. Specially in work environments. Who cares what I wear, as long as I get the job done?
I don't become an employee because of my fashion sense (or lack thereof). I become an employee because the work interests me.

Up until now I have always gotten away with dressing my own way. I have been a 'goth' for along time and that always involved wearing long dark clothes with a bit of a Victorian flair. Even at work.

I guess I was lucky that nobody ever told me to wear something else. Not even when I had a job as a customer service agent wear I met with customers face-to-face. That was kind of surprising, because I wore long 'New Rock' boots with metal clasps, a stretch PVC shirt with laces and leather pants. Nobody complained because I always performed my job very well and to great satisfaction of the customers.

I think you can get away with a lot if you are a valuable asset.

As to why people wear jackets inside? Some do it because their bosses tell them to. others may just feel comfortable wearing it. I wore those goth clothes because they made me feel comfortable.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

You can get away with a lot if people know you. I used to head up a team of programmers in one of the top mobile phone companies.

This meant that although the team knew me, I had lots of meetings with project managers, suppliers, heads of departments who weren't really expecting to meet me (50 men in the department, and me - small, chinese, female, waist long hair and at that time, in my 20s).
So if I wandered around in a comfortable torn jumper and pyjama bottoms, and didn't get treated right, I don't think it would be fair to blame the other people.