Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

anyone ever mistake your aspergers condition for pride and treat you like s**t? i think my whole family hates me and think im making the whole aspergers thing up life is hard

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

I don't know. All I know is that a lot of people find me unpleasant and unapproachable, even though I'm not aware of anything that I say or do that's so unpleasant.

Artfuljin

16 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

exactly is this something we just have to deal with

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

16 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

What do you mean?

Someone has come up to me before and told me that I act like I think I'm better than everyone else. I'm not sure how I do that. It might be a mixture of not talking to people very often and not making eye contact easily. If anything, I envy them for their ability to get along with each other without trying.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 4:41 am

It happened last year during an argument with my mother-in-law. She told me that she was sick of me always going on about my daughter and what she could do, etc. In fact, I never spoke about her in that way at all. I had absolutely nothing in common with my MIL, until my daughter came along. So at last, I thought I had something to speak about, with her. I would basically given her a rundown of the week's events, i.e. we went to a gym class, swimming and perhaps a puppet show. At no point did I ever say, 'We went to a gym class and she's going to the Olympics', or anything like it. How is that being boastful? I think a lot of it comes from jealousy (an emotion I don't do). She prefers her other daughter-in-law and she couldn't afford to take her kids to the activities that I take my daughter to. Not that we have a huge income, we're just better at spending our cash wisely.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 5:52 am

MummyofPeanut, I think that aspies can have communication problems and can be obsessive.

However, that does not preclude the non-aspie you're trying to communicate with from being an obnoxious MIL playing favourites with her family, and favouring the DIL she might have more in common with, i.e. a similar lower IQ and lesser aspirations and abilities. Does that make sense?

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:54 am

SilentScream wrote:
MummyofPeanut, I think that aspies can have communication problems and can be obsessive.

However, that does not preclude the non-aspie you're trying to communicate with from being an obnoxious MIL playing favourites with her family, and favouring the DIL she might have more in common with, i.e. a similar lower IQ and lesser aspirations and abilities. Does that make sense?

Totally. BTW The MIL is so obnoxious that her own son (my husband) has decided he no longer wants to see her on a regular basis and only sees her if it's absolutely essential. My SIL is all sweetness and light, but she's said many things (about others, not just me) which have caused the true ugliness of her nature to come out. Don't get me started on the issues about race which both of them have.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 7:16 am

The more you say, the more we get an idea as to how much attention should be paid to criticism from her. :lol:

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 8:18 am

I had a lot of Pride without realizing it. Pride is when a person sees themselves as better than others -- and it's pretty easy to arrive at that view if you are relatively isolated and don't give much thought to other people. I realized very slowly (late-twenties) that I need to avoid talking about the things I love and how capable I am at them, and instead try to focus on the other person and try to build their self-esteem. People don't like being overlooked, and would prefer to listen to someone compliment their qualities and abilities rather than listen to someone talk about themselves. To us it seems we are just talking about the things we love, but to them it's extremely negative and evokes jealousy/envy, and seems egocentric and prideful.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:48 am

My mother thinks I'm arrogant, yes.

But screw it - I think she's just jealous of my supreme awesomeness. ;)

Artfuljin

17 Aug 2011, 10:27 am

Scandium wrote:
Someone has come up to me before and told me that I act like I think I'm better than everyone else. I'm not sure how I do that. It might be a mixture of not talking to people very often and not making eye contact easily. If anything, I envy them for their ability to get along with each other without trying.

this is exactly what i get all the time

Artfuljin

17 Aug 2011, 10:31 am

oceandrop wrote:
I had a lot of Pride without realizing it. Pride is when a person sees themselves as better than others -- and it's pretty easy to arrive at that view if you are relatively isolated and don't give much thought to other people. I realized very slowly (late-twenties) that I need to avoid talking about the things I love and how capable I am at them, and instead try to focus on the other person and try to build their self-esteem. People don't like being overlooked, and would prefer to listen to someone compliment their qualities and abilities rather than listen to someone talk about themselves. To us it seems we are just talking about the things we love, but to them it's extremely negative and evokes jealousy/envy, and seems egocentric and prideful.

I can really relate to this. i feel like this is what i am going thru right now

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 10:41 am

Artfuljin wrote:
anyone ever mistake your aspergers condition for pride and treat you like sh**?

Definitely.

oceandrop wrote:
I had a lot of Pride without realizing it ... when a person sees themselves as better than others ...

Yes, that too.

In my own case, I do not care *who* is right as long as we each have an opportunity to know (or to discover) *what* is right, but then few people around me can ever seem to embrace that kind of thinking even after it has been carefully explained ...

... and I think a lot of that is because they have "self-identity" they think they need to protect and I do not ...

... and then right there is where they will again turn back on me and even accuse me of *false* pride (false humility).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

I'm sure we can be considered very aloof, uncaring and self-interested, which might be thought of as excessive pride. Nobody's ever accused me of any of that though.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 6:37 pm

My mom has told me a few times that I act snobby, but that's pretty much it.

grindmonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

hello, first post.

all the time, I struggle with putting my self in other peoples' shoes and don't understand why some people get offended at my sense of humor.