Yes 80%  80%  [ 61 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Do not know / Not found one yet 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 76

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:32 pm

For as long as I can remember I've had a profound love and interest in drawing cartoon characters. Not just copying other people's stuff either, but making up my own characters and putting them in my own hand-written comics and stories. I was really good at reading when I was a kid and I loved to read stories out loud. I also even made hand-made dolls and sculptures that look like my characters to help bring them to "life". In the past I've had a few cartoons printed in some local newspapers and a couple of magazines but I've never had a full-time job as a cartoonist and I don't know if I could handle the stress of being one, having to come up with something funny and original every day and deadlines and having to draw and write everything perfectly because one little flaw could ruin your career... having to show your work to other people, having to WORK with other people *shivers*, sneery critics, and being chained to a desk. I don't think so. :( But the chances of me ever being a "real" cartoon maker are about one in a bajillion where I live, people are lucky if they have jobs at all. But I digress. :)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

I can play the main melody of a song on the piano by hearing it only once or twice.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:26 pm

Computers.
When I was 3 - 4 I was obsessed with anything and I mean anything electronic.
I only just about remember my mom putting me on the computer.
Then as a grew up I became more and more interested in computers.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:29 pm

Self taught on the piano

I don't know anyone who knows more about political ideology then me at the moment.

For years if you would name an episode of Star Trek TNG or DS9 or Voyeger I could tell you what season it was and what episode it was on what disc (on 7 disc sets per season).

ergo, "The Inner Light" TNG season 5 disc 7 episode 1 on that disc.
"the Chain of Command" TNG season 6 disc 3 episode's 2 and 3.

Last edited by Phonic on 17 Aug 2011, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Other people seem to think I'm good at drawing and painting, but I don't think I'm that great. There are lots of people way better than me. Maybe if I didn't have such a hard time getting myself to actually do it, I'd be great. :P (The whole 10,000 hours to become an expert thing.)

peaceloveerin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

I have a pretty good ear for music although I can't play anything by ear after hearing it. I need to have the music in front of me. I can sing something w/o music, though.

peaceloveerin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 6:51 pm

Callista wrote:
Talents I was born with... Musical ability and a natural affinity for reading. I guess my ability to improvise harmony to any melody during the first or second hearing might have been considered a splinter skill when I was little, but now that I'm in my twenties, it's only about what a college music major could do anyway.

All my other skills, I learned the hard way! :)

Eva Cassidy also had an amazing ability for harmony and I'm pretty convinced she was an Aspie! :wink:

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:06 pm

Looking innocent apparently. Even when I'm angry or something people find my facial expressions harmless gah!!

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

I can draw.
[img][800:969]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/228/a/8/night_of_the_living_bread_by_toonskribblez-d46u8nk.png[/img]

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

Let's see...

*I'm very flexible for my age. I can kick up to 6' in the air (and I'm only 5'2"), I can do a heel stretch, and I can fall into a splits. I don't know of anyone else that can do that at twenty-two. I never took dance, cheer, or gymnastics either.

*I can turn both of my feet completely around and walk on them like that. It's a lot of fun because it freaks a lot of people out. I never get the same reaction twice. I can twist my arms around as well.

*I'm a pretty good singer, but what I'm really good at is voice-acting. I can imitate a decent amount of voices and accents.

*Academically, I tested at a college level for language arts by the time I was ten. At age eight, I had written the most gramatically-correct story in the entire state for our big standardized test. They sent me a copy back because of it. It's pretty funny because I'm sure the main character in that story is schizophrenic (which I didn't even know about at the time lol)

*Also at age eight, I was the youngest person in the state to have a drawing of mine submitted to the state museum. Mine and five others made it, but I was the only little kid. Because of this, I qualified for a trip to Europe when I was twelve and that was a lot of fun. I've always been fairly artsy and I always loved drawing cartoons when I was younger. I still do occasionally to this day, but not to the extent I once did.

*I've memorized just about every single outfit I've ever worn and when and where I bought each piece of clothing. I actually still remember the exact outfit I was wearing on 9/11 (yellow Old Navy T-shirt, khaki pants from Kids R Us (which I also had in black, red, orange, and green as well), and red tennis shoes from Payless Shoe Source). I have every single collection from Gap memorized back to 2007 and I can tell you which piece from then to now belongs in which collection.

Okay, I'm done bragging :)

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

Great sense of pitch and rhythm; I learn songs on my bass very quickly. Also my spatial skills are superior. I can draw, and follow a map very well.

peaceloveerin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

I took piano and guitar lessons but pretty much taught myself how to sing. :wink:

I'm also a very good speller and reader.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

People tell me I have a real talent for creative writing, and just for writing in general.

oceandrop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 10:18 pm

I think my 'talent' is probably the same as a lot of other AS people -- i.e. the ability to become 'talented' in just about anything we set our minds to. Call it hyperfocus, special interest, narrow intense focus, obsession, dedication to the exclusion of all else, it all basically translates into having a deep affection and devotion for a particular area that we ultimately become very good at very quickly.

I've been told I'm good/talented at all kinds of things from martial arts to computers to music, but I know it's actually an indirect compliment of the underlying tendency to develop special interests that dominate my life for a period of time.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 3:26 am

my main talent is in music; in orchestral settings, i'm able to predict whether the person left and right of me are going to play their next note a bit flat or sharp, and am therefor able to compensate for that.
also, when i lately had a 2-person solo with someone on the other end of the orchestra (couldn't even see the guy), i 'felt' his pitch and breathing almost naturally, allowing me to follow suit as if played by the same player simultaniously.

also; i indeed read quite fast; i often finished reading all assigned text, all questions and all possible answers before the second-fastest reader (who did a speed-reading course) finished half the text itself

thirdly, there is situational awareness; if i'm not being overloaded i usually have a near 100% knowledge of what is happening in the room i'm in, even behind my back (also the reason for many overloads...); i am known to scare others that way.
for example, someone was behind me, looking for a kitchen knife, and i suddenly said; without looking up from my book, "try the left drawer".
indeed, the knife they wanted was in there, leaving them shocked that i knew what they wanted, and where it was, without looking...