Yes 80%  80%  [ 61 ]
No 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Do not know / Not found one yet 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 76

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

Oh, nothing special. One of the reasons I thought we have nothing in common with Rainman...

Seriously, once I excelled in basic physics at the end of my first year in high school, I was 7th on the national competition, and among top 20 in math (only the first place was ranked). I can visualize some of the basic rules of physics directly in my mind, like gravity for example. I don't think all of this is really that unique.

The other stuff I developed is the ability to hear nuance differences of audio reproduction quality. I have some basic understanding about the connection between the sound and the layout of the equipment, but again, I'm far from being damn good at it, I'm sure John-Elder Robinson was better at this.

I have been pondering about the third recently. It seems I don't think within clear boundaries such as in pictures, patterns, concepts, words etc. Most likely I use several of them without priority. It allows me to "peep out" of my little world and have some understanding of seemingly totally different ideas.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

playing music by ear.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 11:20 am

I have an artisitc side...self taught mostly. It involves drawing, painting, & photography. I can also read backwards as well as upside down. It's perfectly fine for me (totally natural & comfortable), but it tends to bug other people. Though I don't know why.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

My reading speed is apparently very abnormal... I'm a natural speed reader. Without having ever trying to learn how to read faster, if I'm reading for comprehension I read at about 2000 wpm. If I'm trying to read quickly, then depending on the text I'll read somewhere between 3500 wpm and 5000 wpm. At 2000 wpm I get 90+% comprehension, while at my fastest speeds I might drop to 50%.

I found out in 4th grade that this wasn't normal when I was reading drastically faster than my teacher. Up until that point I thought that everyone was reading all assigned reading twice, because that's what I was doing.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

I'm an excellent writer, decent at drawing, and great at music.

Does gaming count? It would be fantastic if it did. :chin:

mimsytheborogove
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2011, 1:42 pm

Art is definitely a strength for me.

I also memorize tv shows (dialog and plots), not on purpose, and can understand/memorize practical instructions (like for using software, or completing a task) much more easily than others I know.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

I've always been good with math, and I have somewhat of an artistic side too. I wouldn't consider it much of a talent, but it is nice being a natural problem solver.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 2:30 pm

I'm good at singing, I suppose. People could be lying though, or have weird taste.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

i can see the details that other people miss and i can find the things they have lost.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

I asked my parents and all my ex friends. Nobody ever told me, really. :|

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:48 pm

Talents I was born with... Musical ability and a natural affinity for reading. I guess my ability to improvise harmony to any melody during the first or second hearing might have been considered a splinter skill when I was little, but now that I'm in my twenties, it's only about what a college music major could do anyway.

All my other skills, I learned the hard way! :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

17 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Maybe remembering songs and sounds years after the last time I hear them, then replaying them in my head over and over. I almost always have a song stuck in my head. Right now, it's the FFVII battle song, and I haven't played that game for about 5-7 years. I don't know what to say whenever someone asks me what type of music I listen to because I usually don't listen to music.

Tuttle wrote:
My reading speed is apparently very abnormal... I'm a natural speed reader. Without having ever trying to learn how to read faster, if I'm reading for comprehension I read at about 2000 wpm. If I'm trying to read quickly, then depending on the text I'll read somewhere between 3500 wpm and 5000 wpm. At 2000 wpm I get 90+% comprehension, while at my fastest speeds I might drop to 50%.

I found out in 4th grade that this wasn't normal when I was reading drastically faster than my teacher. Up until that point I thought that everyone was reading all assigned reading twice, because that's what I was doing.

:O
So you can read at ~80 words per second!?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

Scandium wrote:

Tuttle wrote:

:O
So you can read at ~80 words per second!?

That takes me actively trying to read as fast as I can without caring about comprehension, but I've tested that fast when seeing how fast I can get, yes. I don't tend to read like that because I don't see the point in trying to get towards skimming instead of reading for comprehension when you read as fast as I do... Normally I'm only at about 35 word per second.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

I went with no. but I did have a knack for passing very difficult courses in college. so maybe I do have that talent, but I don't think it is a talent. so I am stil a 'no.'

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

I'm a self-taught musician by ear.

I am competent enough at playing piano, bass guitar, and acoustic guitar (well......not quite that yet, but I'm getting there lol). I seem to have perfect pitch, and I seem to also have an abnormally intuitive aptitude for learning things. I used to need speech therapy, now I'm considered by musical peers to be linguistically gifted (or really good at rapping, so to speak lol).

I have an understanding of how things work, and a pretty overactive and unusual imagination to boot (synesthesia I'd imagine). Theres more, but that's just the basic stuff.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:32 pm

For as long as I can remember I've had a profound love and interest in drawing cartoon characters. Not just copying other people's stuff either, but making up my own characters and putting them in my own hand-written comics and stories. I was really good at reading when I was a kid and I loved to read stories out loud. I also even made hand-made dolls and sculptures that look like my characters to help bring them to "life". In the past I've had a few cartoons printed in some local newspapers and a couple of magazines but I've never had a full-time job as a cartoonist and I don't know if I could handle the stress of being one, having to come up with something funny and original every day and deadlines and having to draw and write everything perfectly because one little flaw could ruin your career... having to show your work to other people, having to WORK with other people *shivers*, sneery critics, and being chained to a desk. I don't think so. :( But the chances of me ever being a "real" cartoon maker are about one in a bajillion where I live, people are lucky if they have jobs at all. But I digress. :)