How do I communicate with therapist about this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

How do I tell her my thinking isn't distorted? She has said verbatim that my 'thinking is distorted' on several occasions. I don't want to make her an adversary.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

"Correcting distorted thinking" is the entire focus of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), which is the most common type of therapy out there. Your therapist assumes that your distorted thinking is your reason for being in therapy.

If you don't believe that you have distorted thinking, then you need to find a different therapist who doesn't practice CBT. Or you could first try to talk to this one about it, and explain that that isn't what you're looking for.

I know that for myself, CBT has been unhelpful and even harmful, because, like you, I know that my thinking is not distorted. I am just trying to cope with things as I know them to be.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

My feeling is you need to stop thinking you are obligated to go back to this therapist. Look at it this way: if you took your car to a garage for a specific problem and they didn't fix it, you wouldn't think twice about going to another garage. You need to feel the same way about yourself. Your feelings are yours and have VALIDITY.

EllenDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2011, 9:32 pm

I think you need to bring it up directly, but in a non-confrontational way. For example, say "I don't feel that my thinking is distorted, can you explain what makes you say that?"

I think it is quite likely that you have different meanings of what distorted thinking is and what it means.

I would not just change therapists unless there is also another problem, or you are not happy with the answer to the question.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 7:23 am

EllenDee wrote:
I think you need to bring it up directly, but in a non-confrontational way. For example, say "I don't feel that my thinking is distorted, can you explain what makes you say that?"

I think it is quite likely that you have different meanings of what distorted thinking is and what it means.

I would not just change therapists unless there is also another problem, or you are not happy with the answer to the question.

This makes sense.

A good therapist will adjust to new information. She may think you have distorted thinking based on what she knows but if she is any good at all you will be able to change her opinion on that. If she rigidly insists that she is right than that is a problem and its time to move on.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

EllenDee wrote:

Good advice. Thank you. :)