skills and talent mean nothing to NTs if you cant sociallize

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

anyone ever disregard or wright off your skills and talents simply because there seems like there is no emotion behind it.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

I know... But I study NT's, and I know how to act like one to a point. But at home, I don't act. So people are able to see my skills/talents.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

I can say from firsthand experience that when you have a talent that NT's can clearly understand, and you can't easily socialize, the group will try and pigeonhole you into performing for them. For example, I am a professional level yo-yo player. Every time I've been at a job, and my coworkers get wind of that, from then on I constantly hear "break out the yo-yos!" "Hey you should yo-yo for us!" "Blah, blah, yo-yo, wharrgarble!! !" And the thing about it is that I yo-yo for my own satisfaction of learning new tricks and then mastering them. I compete and that's the only time I ever want to perform in front of an audience. But once the office knows about me, I forever become the "yo-yo guy". Which is a major reason why I never bring any to work, and don't mention it.

Artfuljin

17 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I can say from firsthand experience that when you have a talent that NT's can clearly understand, and you can't easily socialize, the group will try and pigeonhole you into performing for them. For example, I am a professional level yo-yo player. Every time I've been at a job, and my coworkers get wind of that, from then on I constantly hear "break out the yo-yos!" "Hey you should yo-yo for us!" "Blah, blah, yo-yo, wharrgarble!! !" And the thing about it is that I yo-yo for my own satisfaction of learning new tricks and then mastering them. I compete and that's the only time I ever want to perform in front of an audience. But once the office knows about me, I forever become the "yo-yo guy". Which is a major reason why I never bring any to work, and don't mention it.

i had the same issue in my school years except instead of yoyo i draw. people would ask me to draw stuff for them but i have a hard time drawing things i have no real interest in

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

johnsmcjohn wrote:

You should capitalize on that. Keep performing and ask for stuff you want from them too.

People will always try to extract your value for nothing. It's up to you to make it a good deal.

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

This has happened to me but I have experienced it differently.

I found that my talents as a musician & rapper (amongst other things), was actually a great help in enabling me to socialize better, and I actually became a more well-rounded individual from being asked to perform in front of people (a lot).

I agree with you to a small extent though, because sometimes I hated it, and I just wanted to chill, still like that now.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

I've had that quite often. I don't have alot of motivation. Nobody ever cared about my childhood As and Bs, and definatly not my college 4.0s. :? Now I want to learn again, despite this selfish, lazy idiocy, and have no clue where to start. :?

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

Conversly all of ur skills and talents and willingness to give it your all can, be overlooked or held against you because you dont play the corperate game.
It is for lack of these that i find myself trapped in a life i dread awaking to each day.
I have learned to play several instuments, have bred and raised seahorses and pipefish, can write software to do just about anything i can imagine(in the realm of music and math anyway) i earned a ba with cum loude honors. But all it seems anyone else can see is my failour to develope a normal adult life. Over time it has become all that i can see too.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

I can definitely relate to this. My main skills are psychopharmacology and rat care, which aren't social to begin with, so nobody can relate to them. :P I guess it's different if you have something academic/information based rather than performance/'doing' based (if that makes sense...?).

misterwackydoodle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

There's a lot of people who expect an expert or someone they want to listen to or believe is knowledgable in a certain field have a certain bearing, appearance, or set of credentials.

misterwackydoodle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2011, 8:23 pm

kittie wrote:
I can definitely relate to this. My main skills are psychopharmacology and rat care, which aren't social to begin with, so nobody can relate to them. :P I guess it's different if you have something academic/information based rather than performance/'doing' based (if that makes sense...?).

Heheh I did psychopharmacology and rat care for a while in college. It was fun. Would have stayed with psychology but for a personality conflict with my professor, who was also my employer.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2011, 8:34 pm

When you have to deal with the normals, make a game of it. Pretend you're a spy and need to blend in with the natives. Or that it's a role playing game and you earn XP for each new social skill you can master.

Normals like superficial stuff, so give them a show! Talk about boring stuff like weather, news or sports, but if they touch one of your favorite subjects, put some fire into it so that they see that you're passionate about something. Most normal people can accept weird special interests if it comes packaged in a lot of passion and wrapped in small talk.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:35 pm

ion wrote:
When you have to deal with the normals, make a game of it. Pretend you're a spy and need to blend in with the natives. Or that it's a role playing game and you earn XP for each new social skill you can master.

Normals like superficial stuff, so give them a show! Talk about boring stuff like weather, news or sports, but if they touch one of your favorite subjects, put some fire into it so that they see that you're passionate about something. Most normal people can accept weird special interests if it comes packaged in a lot of passion and wrapped in small talk.

Ohmygosh! This sounds so fun (the 'ropleplay game' thing), could make day-to-day life more interesting... :P

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

ion wrote:

Sounds like a great concept for a nerd-as-hero comedy movie. Or maybe a sitcom. Mental narrations of the main character... before every physical interaqction with other characters making a mental d20 roll...

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:51 pm

kittie wrote:
ion wrote:

Ohmygosh! This sounds so fun (the 'ropleplay game' thing), could make day-to-day life more interesting... :P

I've actually tried that before. Needless to say, I really suck at roleplaying.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 8:54 pm

SammichEater wrote:
kittie wrote:
ion wrote:

I've actually tried that before. Needless to say, I really suck at roleplaying.

I have a hunch I may also suck at roleplaying... ;) But hey, can't hurt to give it a shot, a game sounds a lot more fun than failing miserably in the most awkward and monotonous conversations with the general population who are actually serious about what they're saying.