Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

i walk toward someone who's coming from the opposite direction, on the street. i turn right to let him pass at exactly the same second he's moving right. so i turn left and that's exactly when he turns left. i wonder if this is an aspie thing or if it's just me, because another aspie i know told me it happens to him too.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2011, 3:15 am

That used to happen to me all the time, now I move to the left well in advance of the clash. Always to the left for some reason, no matter what side I'm on...

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:33 am

Yes and I always thought this is normal. Just two people trying to get by and they both happen to keep having the same idea so one of them has to stand still so they can both get by.

I just stand still and the other person gets by but sometimes they stand still too.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:40 am

Many times!
Haven't had any particularly embarrassing instances yet though, luckily.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 3:42 am

It happens to me but I'm sure it's not just an aspie thing. It happens to NT's as well.
Of course not looking at the people when walking down the street doesn't help to avoid these situations.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:07 am

Yes, happens often. But I think it's normal. But then again I assume many things to be normal.

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2011, 4:16 am

It's normal. Comedians use it as material for jokes.

I use my eyes to signal. I choose a side, say left, and make sure my eyes are looking to the left and front (sort of looking at and therefore signalling where I intend to go), then go to the left. A lot of NTs use that kind of thing for unspoken communication without even thinking about it.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2011, 4:24 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
i walk toward someone who's coming from the opposite direction, on the street. i turn right to let him pass at exactly the same second he's moving right. so i turn left and that's exactly when he turns left. i wonder if this is an aspie thing or if it's just me, because another aspie i know told me it happens to him too.

Yes; this happens to me all the time and when it does I always get the impression that the guy coming the other way is AS too.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 5:10 am

I think this happens to a lot of people but among those with AS/ASD if it happens more frequently it's probably because of slow processing speed or inability to properly anticipate the other's actions.

EllenDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone - but as there are always 2 people involved, it is also possible it only happens when one of the people is an Aspie....

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:25 pm

It happens.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

I've witnessed NTs doing this...it's definitely not an AS thing!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

19 Aug 2011, 6:27 pm

This happened once with one of my enemies. Talk about awkward. :lol:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

I don't think this is an autistic thing, just an anyone-who-walks-down-the-sidewalk thing. I hate when this happens, especially when they keep doing it 3 or 4 times. Now usually when it happens, I just look down and freeze. It's a waste of time--they never seem to realize that I am moving out of the way for them, so they can just go around.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:43 pm

Chronos wrote:
I think this happens to a lot of people but among those with AS/ASD if it happens more frequently it's probably because of slow processing speed or inability to properly anticipate the other's actions.

That sounds pretty logical! This happens to me almost every day. :( I HATE it. But the thing is, I NEVER see it happen that often with other people. I have, but it is rare for me to see this and not be one half of the people involved.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:43 pm

I've read the OP three times and I still don't understand it at all. :? I need visuals.