Can somone with diagnosed classic autism tell me what itslik

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

Can someone with diagnosed classic autism tell me what its like to have autism?

like what do you see and experience

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 11:13 pm

This is a very broad question that could fill a book (or two or three). Anything in specific you want to know?

In answer to your first question about what it is like to have autism: it is completely and utterly...normal! This is what normal is to me. If you want some more specific questions answered, I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with such a broad question.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
This is a very broad question that could fill a book (or two or three). Anything in specific you want to know?

In answer to your first question about what it is like to have autism: it is completely and utterly...normal! This is what normal is to me. If you want some more specific questions answered, I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with such a broad question.

i want you to start just typing away i want to read everything to what u have to say about it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

You have to ask specific questions.

What Littlelily said is true: It's normal. For us, it's everyday normal life. If you're expecting some kind of weird sideshow act with us telling you about a totally alien life, then you're gonna be disappointed. For me, NT would be unusual and alien.

(I'm PDD-NOS and would have had a diagnosis of classic autism in childhood.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

Panic wrote:
Can someone with diagnosed classic autism tell me what its like to have autism?

like what do you see and experience

I had a friend with classic autism but as much as I tried to get information out of him, he couldn't explain what it was like and I could only conclude that he had a lot of scatter as far as his abilities went. He couldn't describe why he had a difficult time learning to speak because he couldn't remember back that far. He could navigate his neighborhood fine but couldn't tell you the general direction of the next closest city. He could cook but he didn't know what to do when he ran out of food. The concept and process of going to the market and buying the food remained an enigma to him. He had theory of mind based association issues. For example, if it were cloudy, he would expect people to be carrying umbrellas even if he was told it wasn't going to rain. He would acknowledge that this was unrealistic but couldn't get the association out of his mind. But at the same time, he could keep his own schedule and appointments, hold fairly good conversations, and actually had relatively in tact social comprehension skills and was quite empathic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 8:08 am

Although I'm Aspie, I think I can do better explaining what being NT is like, more than explaining what classic Autism is like (as in severe Autism).

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:43 am

Temple Grandin wrote book on this very topic. You should read them as they are excellent. I relate to these books in almost every way. I do not relate to John Robison or many of the other Aspie authors.

Good luck with your reading and finding someone who will DX you.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

It's like living in Technicolor.

For years, people watched movies in black and white, and that's all they knew. But then, when the Wizard of Oz came out, they saw color, and they were blown away, and a whole new world was opened up. For me, living with autism is like living in color, when everyone else lives in black and white. I know what black and white is like because my sensory issues wax and wane, but typical people who have never seen color have no idea what they're missing.