Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Do you usually commit to a lot of work because you feel like you are not doing enough?
yes I do 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
No I don't 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 20

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

Do you usually commit to a lot of work because you feel like you are not doing enough?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

Not because I feel I'm not doing enough. It's more that I just get ideas to do things, and then do them, and forget what I was doing/was supposed to be doing/promised to do.

I'm eternally going off at tangents.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

I bite off more than I can chew quite often, but I tend not to promise to do things or make commitments. I just start projects I inevitably forget about or get bored with.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

My daughter sometimes wants to do three or four things at the same time, but she usually ends up doing just one or two (of the four she was pretending to do), so unless its her free time, I restrict her activities to no more than two at a time (like playing while taking a bath, reading while eating, or listening to music while doing school work -the last just works if she is doing repetitive job that does not require analysis-), so she can get things done.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

So, it's not about eating (literal thinking)...

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I bite off more than I can chew quite often, but I tend not to promise to do things or make commitments. I just start projects I inevitably forget about or get bored with.

This. Although I tend to not bite anything. Recently English came in the focus of my interest, and since I'm not good at learning languages, I think of the result as sort of "who cares". This goes for many of my interests, too.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:21 pm

You have no idea how much this relates to me right now, yes I do, I mean I really do!

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

I do, but not because I don't feel like I do enough. On the contrary, I often feel taken advantage of and dumped on. It's because I 1) don't know how to say no, 2) can't judge how much time and effort things will take, and 3) don't know how to ask for help once I realize I'm overwhelmed.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 4:57 pm

OJani wrote:
So, it's not about eating (literal thinking)...

I'd entered into this thread assuming it was about eating too. I sometimes do physically bite off more than I can chew.

I actually have no idea if I do that though.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2011, 5:33 pm

I voted no. but when I was in college I always had a ton to do - read, write papers, etc. I loved it. revelled in it even.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:29 pm

Nope, i know how much i can chew 8)

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Zen wrote:
I do, but not because I don't feel like I do enough. On the contrary, I often feel taken advantage of and dumped on. It's because 1) I don't know how to say no, 2) can't judge how much time and effort things will take, and 3) don't know how to ask for help once I realize I'm overwhelmed.

All of this applies to me as well.. I usually go and get stuck in situations that I can't talk myself out of or ask for help. Even if I ask for help people seem not to understand my problems :shrug: