Would you want to live in a family with 17 other kids?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2011, 12:36 am

I'm watching a show on a family with 18 children (not the TLC show) and I wonder how you all would like living in a family with 17 other children. Or maybe you did? If so, how did you like it?

I for one don't think I would like it. I only have two brothers and most of my life I wanted nothing to do with them. Not that I don't like them, but we never had common interests and I just wanted to do things alone. When I was younger I couldn't wait to have my own room, so I don't think I would have liked sharing my room with 5+ other people. And I don't like babies/toddlers. Actually I don't mind them in short doses, but I don't like when they cry and I don't like constantly having to watch them. Some might say maybe if I was raised in a large family I might feel differently, but I don't think I would. I think it has to do with AS and not feeling comfortable around large groups of people, family included. A lot of them also makes the girls cook and clean and wear dresses. While I don't mind cleaning (sometimes) I HATE cooking and would rather burn my dresses than wear them. When I was younger my mother wanted me to be a "girly girl" and dressed me in dresses almost everyday from the time I was born until I was about 5 or 6. For my first 2 years of life I don't think I wore anything EXCEPT dresses. Guess what? I still hate 'em.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but it's the truth.

Last edited by Tamsin on 25 Aug 2011, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

That would be hell! 8O

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

NO! I have three older brothers and only talk to two of them. I've basicaly disowned one of them. If he wanted a relationship with me he shouldn't have been so mean to me when we were kids.

I could never cope as one of the Duggar's kids. Those people are truely delusional. I found it Hell when my neice who was more like a sister came to live with us. But that's perhaps because my routine was drasticaly changed.

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 25 Aug 2011, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 12:47 am

I wouldn't mind, so long as I had my own space and my parents made some time alone with each kid.

A family this big seems like it would really need some careful management to make sure nobody got left out or crowded. But, if they are good at managing a big family, why not have one?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 12:49 am

Heck no. But if they were all controlled and well behaved and cleaned up after themselves and if I was allowed to do my own thing and had everything of my own, then I wouldn't mind.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 12:52 am

I read that they actually have to schedule one-on-one time with their parents. No thank you!

Grete
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

Oh no. One sister is enough for me.

gabrielesturmer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2011, 4:20 am

I've also been watching that show, and there's no way I could live in a house with that many people, especially so many kids 8O

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 4:27 am

No thanks! That sounds like pure madness.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2011, 6:33 am

Having 3 siblings is hard enough. I couldn't even imagine 17.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 7:55 am

Hah. Yes. When I was little I made up a script for a movie about a family of eleven kids that would star only me and my sister cause those were the available actors, and I thought it through so that we would each play about six people and no more than two would appear on screen at the same time. Also these eleven people were ranging in age from infant to 18 and of both genders but I guess we thought our costumes would do the trick. Also we had no video camera.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:09 am

After seeing reality shows about families with several children, I appreciate being an only child more and wouldn't trade it for anything.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

Oh hell no!! !
I struggle with 2! 17 Would be a nightmare!

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 10:35 am

League_Girl wrote:
Heck no. But if they were all controlled and well behaved and cleaned up after themselves and if I was allowed to do my own thing and had everything of my own, then I wouldn't mind.

I am getting better at cleaning up after myself. I still do have some ways to go. The best advice given to me is there is a place for everything and everything should have a place.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 4:18 pm

purchase wrote:
Hah. Yes. When I was little I made up a script for a movie about a family of eleven kids that would star only me and my sister cause those were the available actors, and I thought it through so that we would each play about six people and no more than two would appear on screen at the same time. Also these eleven people were ranging in age from infant to 18 and of both genders but I guess we thought our costumes would do the trick. Also we had no video camera.

That's awesome! Great story.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

No fricking way. Hell would be much more pleasant.