Do you know how spoiled many people are?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Do you realize that?

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

what is spoilt?

having lots of money?

having alot of emotional support?

not having to work as hard as someone who isn't "spoilt?"

is someone spoilt if they feel their prosperity is actually detrimental?

so...much...speculation ;o

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

I don't know if i spelled it correctly.But that's not what matters.Let's take for example teenagers.They feel crap and depressed because their parents did not let them go to a party or wanted them to study.Imagine what they would feel if they got through that we have got through or other minorities like black people,slaves...People who lived wars,genocides,fought for the right.I mean how would these people(the spoiled) fight for their country if it would be needed?They feel that their life is screwed because they may leave a girl pregnant and they won't have their life now,of going to parties and to clubs till the morning and getting drunk.

Last edited by JohnyJohn on 25 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winslow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

I live in Newport Beach, CA, which is one of the richest cities per capita in the US. I know all too well how spoiled some people are.....

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2011, 2:39 pm

I know that probably spoiled people and kids always existed and immorality.But now it's as it's maximum:

For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these. 6For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, 7always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith. 9But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all, just as Jannes’s and Jambres’s folly was also.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
I don't know if i spelled it correctly.But that's not what matters.Let's take for example teenagers.They feel crap and depressed because their parents did not let them go to a party or wanted them to study.Imagine what they would feel if they got through that we have got through or other minorities like black people,slaves...People who lived wars,genocides,fought for the right.I mean how would these people fight for their country if it would be needed?They feel that their life is screwed because they may leave a girl pregnant and they won't have their life now,of going to parties and to clubs till the morning and getting drunk.

I know what spoilt means xD I wanted your definition for context. Context is important, teenagers are depressed and feel crap because they are teenagers, some more so than others - it's got nothing to do with being spoilt imo. You, I hope have not experienced genocide or war, so technically you're being speculative and also fall into the "other" category of being spoilt by definition.

If you're in the army, I will try to keep my opinions to myself, however the salaries for the armed forces and mercenary services are unbelievably disproportional, atleast in the UK/Ireland, and someone who participates in a war has no right to judge someone who doesn't, as being spoilt - killing other people for money (irregardless of the patriotism behind the gunfire) is less admirable than worrying about teenage pregnancy. Personal opinion ofcourse :D

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

Yes, we're all spoiled. Maybe we should stop drinking clean water, using toilet paper, running refrigerators, driving cars, riding horses, etc., because if other people don't have these luxuries, we shouldn't either.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
I don't know if i spelled it correctly.But that's not what matters.Let's take for example teenagers.They feel crap and depressed because their parents did not let them go to a party or wanted them to study.Imagine what they would feel if they got through that we have got through or other minorities like black people,slaves...People who lived wars,genocides,fought for the right.I mean how would these people fight for their country if it would be needed?They feel that their life is screwed because they may leave a girl pregnant and they won't have their life now,of going to parties and to clubs till the morning and getting drunk.

I'm nothing like this, but yeah I get what you mean :wink:

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

I read somewhere that if you're making just a thousand bucks a year, you're already doing better than more than half the entire world's population. Basically if you're not starving and cold on the street begging for food to feed and clothe your starving and cold children, you're spoiled. You're on the Internet. Case in point. I mean, WE'RE obviously pretty afflicted by social detachment. Must be pretty spoiled to even be here considering it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Aug 2011, 3:26 pm

JohnyJohn wrote:
I know that probably spoiled people and kids always existed and immorality.But now it's as it's maximum:

For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, 4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power; Avoid such men as these. 6For among them are those who enter into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, 7always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, rejected in regard to the faith. 9But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all, just as Jannes’s and Jambres’s folly was also.

Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

-- Attributed to Socrates by Plato

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

Okay, I'm going to try to make this my last post which probably belongs in PPR but isn't. :lol:

I think the people raking in millions of dollars a year who turn around and cry when they try to take their tax breaks away when their tax breaks are more than most people make total are selfish and loathsome.

I also agree that people in first world countries have far more than they need. No one needs a cell phone. No one. People survived for millennia without cell phones.

However, society is never going to be completely egalitarian. One person is always going to have more than another person. Caring about the less fortunate and helping them out is a nice thing to do. But discarding all your worldly possessions and self-flagellating doesn't help anything.

And FWIW, I love pleasure far more than any god. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Zen wrote:
However, society is never going to be completely egalitarian. One person is always going to have more than another person. Caring about the less fortunate and helping them out is a nice thing to do. But discarding all your worldly possessions and self-flagellating doesn't help anything.

:!: 8)

Thank you.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

I am spoiled. I know how much too. :P

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Yes, people living in luxury are generally more likely to be spoiled.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

Zen wrote:

And FWIW, I love pleasure far more than any god. :lol:

Not to try to start some debate but I'm not so sure. We humans are smart enough, logically, to be able to share resources evenly. It's just all this damn feeling and miscommunication what gets in the way...

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

Truth? I'd love to be spoiled, even for a little while. Super self indulgence - though not to the point of self harm or harm to others - just to know what it would feel like.