Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Manguy89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

In highschool I did horrible. I could never focus long enough to make an effort. Medication made my last few years of highschool passable. After highschool I didn't go to college but started smoking pot. I never liked hanging out with people so I bought it and smoked small amounts threw out the day in place of my mess which I stopped taking due to no insurance. Before I was miserable. I'd get so anxious I'd vomit every morning before most social events.... Now Im one year away from my bachelors degree and reflecting if it wasn't for weed I wouldn't be where I . I have a good job I go to school and I was recently confident enough to move away from home.... Do any other aspies smoke marijuana for psychological benefits? When I smoke I can talk to people with out scripting, it's the only tome I can truly express myself.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

Manguy89 wrote:
In highschool I did horrible. I could never focus long enough to make an effort. Medication made my last few years of highschool passable. After highschool I didn't go to college but started smoking pot. I never liked hanging out with people so I bought it and smoked small amounts threw out the day in place of my mess which I stopped taking due to no insurance. Before I was miserable. I'd get so anxious I'd vomit every morning before most social events.... Now Im one year away from my bachelors degree and reflecting if it wasn't for weed I wouldn't be where I . I have a good job I go to school and I was recently confident enough to move away from home.... Do any other aspies smoke marijuana for psychological benefits? When I smoke I can talk to people with out scripting, it's the only tome I can truly express myself.

Yeah I do, and it does seem to help quite a bit...but I still get stressed pretty easily, and I keep having anxiety attacks possibly related to PTSD...that is getting a bit annoying. I took a couple hits before catching the bus to go to the college every morning to avoid those.....cannabis makes me more calm so it helps with that.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2011, 11:43 pm

I'm not sure what it was, but weed just opened me mentally to so many other perspectives and ways of seeing and thinking. I wouldn't have gotten where I am at all without it, it sparked a real personal revolution in myself. A few other choice substances too, but weed is really the most all-around helpful and therapeutic one.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

AtticusKane wrote:
I'm not sure what it was, but weed just opened me mentally to so many other perspectives and ways of seeing and thinking. I wouldn't have gotten where I am at all without it, it sparked a real personal revolution in myself. A few other choice substances too, but weed is really the most all-around helpful and therapeutic one.

It makes me less anxious and depressed, which is helpful. Not to mention I generally enjoy how it feels.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:25 am

Apparently marijuana increases neurons in the fusiform gyrus according to this study which a part of the brain having to do with Autism.

http://www.mendeley.com/research/altere ... ana-users/

It changed the way I think also, made it possible for me to understand and feel empathy the way NT's do, if this research is right then I could see it definitely being helpful. I can't smoke it anymore due to a heart condition, but this few months when I did made a huge difference in my life, little depressing for me, but maybe it can help someone else.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 2:05 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
It makes me less anxious and depressed, which is helpful. Not to mention I generally enjoy how it feels.

Same with me. The only time I feel relaxed and comfortable around people is when I am high. I wish New York state would jump off the fence and legalize medical cannabis. I have a 2 year horticulture degree from high school. My teacher showed us how to jury rig a hydroponics system using pvc piping, a fish tank pump and other odds and ends. :wink: California allows registered marijuana users to grow eight plants. I will be growing White widow and AK-47 when it becomes legal. :P

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 5:29 am

I've smoked every single day for the last 3 years, and even I can say it's changed my life (my family would say I just came out of my shell, they don't approve of my drug use)

-I don't get anxious, even if I'm going somewhere / doing something that would have had me run home and lock the doors just thinking about it, pre-stoner mentality.

-I don't get stressed because I can take everything alot more slowly and understand that other people aren't usually being dickheads out of spite.

-I generally enjoy socializing now, and I've become exceptionally introspective.

-The ignorance and bigotry of non-drug users only serves to highlight their stupidity in my eyes, making it easier not to listen to them:
"IT IS ILLEGAL, AND SO YOU ARE A BAD PERSON"
"Oh right. I'll put my careface on just for you 8)"

I'm off the Barcelona with my boyfriend who is also an aspie stoner, in 2weeks, and back to Amsterdam in November - I don't think I'd have much interest in travelling if I couldn't have a spliff to take my mind off the anxiety, which I can only assume would eventually return if I did stop using cannabis.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:07 am

For the benefit of those of you enamored by the concept of smoking marijuana (active compound Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol commonly abbreviated as THC)

Here is a list of the published long term effects of THC;

Respiratory illness because of high tar content and smoking behaviour: lung cancer: bongs are more potent than joints.
• Amotivational syndrome
• Reduced cognitive abilities
• Reduced libido
• Psychosis: May precipitate latent predisposition?

However, most of these effects disappear after a period of cessation.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 6:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
For the benefit of those of you enamored by the concept of smoking marijuana (active compound TCH)

Here is a list of the published long term effects of TCH

Respiratory illness because of high tar content and smoking behaviour: lung cancer: bongs are more potent than joints.
• Amotivational syndrome
• Reduced libido

THC* (Tetrahydrocannabinol)

-vaporizers have no tar and little to no carcinogens, so respiratory problems are not synonymous with smoking weed.

-Amotivational syndrome is nothing but a hypothesis that is often rendered moot because cannabis promotes socializing through stress release. If you're very young (teens) and start ABUSING drugs, then you're alot more prone to the effects, from what I've read - however like you said, abstinence for 6-12months will completely reverse the effects.

-smoking weed changes your ability to think, it doesn't reduce it. Affects on memory and higher cognitive function are speculative, just like psychosis.

-I've had sex every day since the start of the month, and I've been stoned before, during and after every session (and I'm generally not very libidinous) so while I cannot comment on the general affects of cannabinoids on everyone's sex drive, personally, it's had no affect.

-Latent Psychosis MAY be the only detriment to cannabis, however if you're predisoposed to a mental illness, I'd argue that smoking weed may give you a head's up regarding it; which means you can educate yourself, while abstaining from psychotropic substances in the future to minimize negative effects.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:36 am

Twist wrote:
THC* (Tetrahydrocannabinol)

Already fixed my typo a micro-second after your post

Twist wrote:
-vaporizers have no tar and little to no carcinogens, so respiratory problems are not synonymous with smoking weed.

Probably applies to joints more than bongs

Twist wrote:
-Amotivational syndrome is nothing but a hypothesis that generally gets disproven because cannabis promotes socializing through stress release. If you're very young (teens) and start ABUSING drugs, then you're alot more prone to the effects, from what I've read - however like you said, abstinence for 6-12months will completely reverse the effects.

Almost all psychological traits or disorders are constructs but they are based on some observable or familial pattern when they manifest
Twist wrote:
-smoking weed changes your ability to think, it doesn't reduce it. Affects on memory and higher cognitive function are speculative, just like psychosis.

randomized controlled trials involving treatments - smoking X number of joints - levels 1 2 3 and control (no ganja) - results of RCTs prove cognitive impairment during period when THC is in the system.

Twist wrote:
-I've had sex every day since the start of the month, and I've been stoned before, during and after every session (and I'm generally not very libidinous) so while I cannot comment on the general affects of cannabinoids on one's sex drive, personally, it's had no affect.

Lucky you

Twist wrote:
-Latent Psychosis MAY be the only detriment to cannabis, however if you're predisoposed to a mental illness, I'd argue that smoking weed may give you a head's up regarding it; which means you can educate yourself, while abstaining from psychotropic substances in the future to minimize negative effects.

Agreed, the predisposition for certain DSM disorders such as schizophrenia, epilepsy or bipolar disorder will inevitably triggered an episode with THC in the bloodstream.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 6:48 am

cyberdad wrote:

randomized controlled trials involving treatments - smoking X number of joints - levels 1 2 3 and control (no ganja) - results of RCTs prove cognitive impairment during period when THC is in the system.

I should have specified.

What I mean is that while cognitive functioning may slow down, one's ability to think in abstract (artistic pedanticism xD?) is actually heightened. Ultimately this isn't very useful, unless you're creative/artistic, but generalising THC as mental impairment is misleading. Yes, you'll be slower and spatial awareness will be up in the clouds when you're high, but you're also more inclined to think and speak creatively.

Science vs art arguement, I guess :P

Marauder21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

I've been using cannabis roughly five times a week for about a year now for anxiety/depression related to my AS. It has helped tremendously. My grades in school noticeably improved and I became a bit more social. Recently, however, my tolerance has built up and the pot has just become another form of escapism and has actually made it harder for me to deal with the problems in my life.

I do recommend marijuana use for dealing with AS symptoms, but I also recommend trying to keep use down two 1-4 times a week. And please remember that any type of smoke inhalation is unhealthy for your lungs.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 10:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
For the benefit of those of you enamored by the concept of smoking marijuana (active compound Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol commonly abbreviated as THC)

Here is a list of the published long term effects of THC;

• Amotivational syndrome
• Reduced libido

Those are possible long term side effects...and lung cancer is not a side effect of cannabis use, studies show that there have been little or no cases of lung cancer from cannabis smoke alone and that those who smoke cannabis and ciggerettes rather than just ciggerettes are less likely to develop lung cancer.

There are some odd chemical reactions between the carcinogens and cannabanoids, cannabanoids basically attack the carcinogens so they do not do as much damage. It is possible to develop other respitory issues from smoking it however.

I don't think Anti-motivational syndrome actually exists...let me go put those resources that come with my abnormal psychology to use and go check the DSM.

Yes it can effect cognitave abilities, but usually it only does that while you are high...It is possible long term 'excessive' use could cause a long term case of reduced cognative abilities.

Not sure what reduced libodo is.

And yes just like many mind altering substances it can make symptoms of some mental illnesses worse in some people, can be a factor in their development of things like psychosis...but that is not a common effect. It also helps people with those things...I recommend The Pot Book it has lots of information about the various possible psychological uses of cannabis. But like any drug it does not work for everyone and some will react badly to it.

So far in my mind the benifits outweigh the possible negatives.

winslow

26 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

AtticusKane wrote:

^ this. For lack of a better term I have always said marijuana makes me feel "normal" and helps me to understand things on a deeper level. Almost like it temporarily filters out the AS lol. I'm fortunate enough to live in California :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Agree with most of what's been posted here. The long term effects I posted are obviously generic, but there is a reasonable chance of ticking off a couple of side-effects when ganja is your friend.

My point is make informed decisions before puffing a joint. In addition don't trust suppliers you don't know in case you are smoking petroleum based solvents and carcinogens used to soak the leaves/buds. It's not like marijuana growers have ISO standard Quality assurance specifications.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2011, 1:58 am

Marijuana has never made feel anything, not even when smoked in large quantities. I wish it did, because I could sure use some of the benefits. But I think its lack of effect on me has something to do with my unusual body chemistry, which has to do with my autism.

********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!