Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

melanieeee
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2011, 8:00 am

Hi guys,

I heard there are a lot of people with aspergers who are good at art. I was just wondering why is this the case when drawing needs good motor skills. (I see a lot of beautiful arts btw).

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:08 am

Fine motor skills are not impossible. But it is an enigma. My handwriting is TERRIBLE. But I do very realistic drawings. People often mistake them for photographs.

Twist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2011, 8:14 am

Your body can learn to do anything if you practice, s'long as it's not physically or psychosomatically impaired - not to mention that poor motor skills are not inherent to everyone on the autistic spectrum.

Couple that with abstract, visual thought patterns and alot of time to study, and you've got the makings of a little Picasso :P

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

I'm an amateur artist and don't have great fine motor skills (could never wire a plug), but that doesn't seem to matter. When I work on a drawing, I sometimes go into 'the zone' and can 'wake up' and see something good, I didn't even realise I was doing.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

I can't write a single letter (dysgraphia) and in most cases my fine motor skills are extremely poor, but I can draw really detailed pictures of buildings. I'll put one below from my DA page:

But I drew this one when I was 10!

[img][800:617]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/238/4/0/my_first_village_by_housekid-d47vux0.jpg[/img]

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

26 Aug 2011, 11:42 am

melanieeee wrote:
I was just wondering why is this the case when drawing needs good motor skills.
Quote:
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti

this is my art —> http://fatal-noogie.deviantart.com/gallery/
[img][800:859]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/206/0/f/winning_hand_____er_____wing_by_fatal_noogie-d41mmuu.jpg[/img]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

26 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

This is one I drew when I was 13. I was pretty upset when I drew it, and the picture quality isn't that good. But this is mine:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

My art is here:

http://wavefreak.deviantart.com

I also teach classes at the local art store.

Kiana
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

These are all really awesome pictures, love the detail in them. I have always liked art too, I never met a medium I didn't like but I think clay is my favourite

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

i can not physically draw anything that is more detailed than stick figures.

i imagine patterns that are very compelling to my mind. i have much desire to see the patterns in real life rather than imagine them always in my mind.

i devise executable programmatic structures that will draw the patterns i imagine with an intricacy that is not possible for anyone to paint or etch, because the detail descends to a microscopic level.

even though i do not have classical artistic wit, i still can produce things that i am satisfied with, and my patterns make me happy when i see them completely rendered in front of my face.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 1:26 pm

this is a complicated (to me) balance of 3 imaginary forces i imagined tonight that render the material reality around them in a way that this pattern.represents. it is still grainy, but it is not yet finished.

Shot at 2011-08-26

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

I don't know exactly how skilled I am at art, but I have always loved to draw.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 5:30 pm

I'm super jealous of visual artists. I fall very firmly into that can't make visual art because of poor motor skills category. It's amazing. I can concentrate and be coordinated just fine for athletic things that I'm not interested in, but I'd love to be able to draw or sculpt or anything, and I couldn't write my own name five times and have any of them really look like any other.

It's why I write. I'm great with words, and I need art.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

Not all people on the spectrum have bad motor skills...it's just a trait that is more likely to occur in the ASD population. With that said, I know a few talented artists on the spectrum.

I am an anomaly. Diagnosed with borderline,"tentative" Aspergers at 7 as the school board required me to have a label in order to receive special education services. I did not fit criteria for ASD but that was the closest label that fit my behaviour at the time.

My longtime psychiatrist has confirmed that I do not qualify for an ASD diagnosis (but have traits & OCD-like traits).

Mostly keeping a distance from ASD-related things (including WP).

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

Those are great pictures - I especially like Jellybean's detailed drawings and b9's balanced energy. Here's some of mine: http://enterthestory.com/art.html

I use a lot of existing resources so can't take all the credit.
[img][800:800]http://enterthestory.com/banners/wallpaper6.jpg[/img]