Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 4:25 pm

Well, remove the lab coats, change the straitjackets to restraints, and change the patronizing voice to some combination of threats and manipulation, and you've got most of the ones I've been in. Not that the people who actually do pretty much obey (buying fully into psychiatry, and having a fairly easy-to-"treat" "condition" helps, too), and whose stays are relatively short, necessarily ever get to see that side of them.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 4:38 pm

anbuend wrote:
Well, remove the lab coats, change the straitjackets to restraints, and change the patronizing voice to some combination of threats and manipulation, and you've got most of the ones I've been in. Not that the people who actually do pretty much obey (buying fully into psychiatry, and having a fairly easy-to-"treat" "condition" helps, too), and whose stays are relatively short, necessarily ever get to see that side of them.

Yeah, straightjackets are long gone because it was discovered that really determined and flexible patients could manage to strangle themselves with them. The big one around here doesn't even have restraints. If you get violent, then they might wrestle you to the ground and put you into "the quiet room" which is just an empty room until you calm down.

In my four visits, I've only seen one person ever get an injection, and that was a guy who was there on court-order because he was violent towards others and had been trying to murder his wife. I saw people scream and throw chairs and the most they ever got was a stay in the quiet room. I personally refused medications and treatments all the time and they just kind of shrugged and said "Ok, talk to your doctor about it tomorrow."

krex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 9:45 pm

My sister went in after a very serious suicide attempt and they didnt need straight jackets....they just convinced an already desperate,confused person to take every medication they could.She was DX with depression but they had her on meds that were supposed to be for psychosis and seizures as well as several antidepressants and pain meds....then they started shock treatment which I wasn't notified about until they had already doped her to the gills and got her to sign the papers....argggg....the new straight jacket is chemicals....

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 12:28 pm

I wouldn't mind the chemicals very much, as long as they don't make me feel sick. I still fondly remember the time I had to take Vicodin after a root canal. The feeling was pure bliss.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 1:15 pm

I get the same thing from my mom and dad, well he just doesn't care. I always heard alot of "oh you are just shy, you'll grow out of it". So I did grow out of it and things were cleared up a bit better.
When the shyness wore off and I became more outgoing, everything started backfired with relating to other people.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 1:40 pm

krex wrote:
My sister went in after a very serious suicide attempt and they didnt need straight jackets....they just convinced an already desperate,confused person to take every medication they could.She was DX with depression but they had her on meds that were supposed to be for psychosis and seizures as well as several antidepressants and pain meds....then they started shock treatment which I wasn't notified about until they had already doped her to the gills and got her to sign the papers....argggg....the new straight jacket is chemicals....

I was hospitalized for the same reason and got put on two anti-depressants, an anti-anxiety drug and something that's primarily for bi-polar patients.

However, the reason they throw so much at you isn't necessarily to keep you in line. For every day you're in there, particularily if it's on the government's dime, it's costing them money. So rather than going through trial and error, they try everything at once hoping at least one of those meds is affective....and your stay is shorter.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2006, 2:33 pm

Mnemosyne, the reason people think you're crazy is because you wear glasses. Cats are not supposed to wear glasses.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 2:50 pm

Rachelle....the thing is...the process is aburd and unscientific....they know that each med takes time to "kick in"...so how can you know which med is effective....so you leave with a handful of bottles and a body full of side effects....my sister was so "doped" she couldnt walk straight,slurred her words and there is no way she could have benefitted from any kind of "therapy"...you should have seen the things she made in "art group"....scarey....it might not have been substitute for a straight jacket but it sure was nice for them to have a "patient" that was completely compliant because they were to high to care.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2006, 6:51 pm

It's true. I'm definately not against meds and I think I'm going to need something to be able to focus, but they use them now to heavily sedate people so they don't have to deal with them. It makes me furious to think of what they did to my sister. She used to function much better until they started pumping her full of meds. I think they eventually caused damage that didn't go away when she went off them. The same is probably true of my father.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 6:56 pm

Dalebert wrote:
Mnemosyne, the reason people think you're crazy is because you wear glasses. Cats are not supposed to wear glasses.

Aw. :cry: I was hoping that they made me look smarter so people would take me seriously. I found that no-one wants to take a talking cat seriously.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2006, 5:24 am

Mum is often saying "everyone has those problems" when I mention something, but I have nothing against her saying that. I think if people accept that AS is the cause of every problem, Aspies will start using it as an excuse, even for things that aren't related to the disorder.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2006, 11:37 pm

So far I've confided in two friends about my thoughts that I might have AS. I have gotten this reaction from both of them. The impression seems to be that if you are getting along ok, then it's not really a disorder. My impression has been that there are degrees and that you can function but it can make things really hard, like I feel it has for me both socially and due to ADD. The friend I just talked to says I probably do have ADD but not AS. The thing is, I've known him since high school and he's one of my socially awkward nerd friends so it seems like he'd know me well enough to tell. I'm really confused right now.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2006, 2:14 pm

Just wondering...how much time did your high school friend spend researching the topic and reading the board?I got the same response from a friend I have known 12 years and my boyfriend of 4 years...neither of them spent more then a few minutes reading about it....both of them have had difficulty socializing without the use of chemicals...and have some aspie traits themselves...I think part of the resistence comes from wanting to "protect" someone they care about from a label they consider harmful.

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2006, 12:57 am

krex wrote:
Just wondering...how much time did your high school friend spend researching the topic and reading the board?

He's a certified clinical psychologist.
:?

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 2:45 am

When I discover I had AS, I told my family. But they're treating me like a NT, and my father says "Your problem is you're a spoiled-brat". When I have problems with body language or jokes, sometimes they call me silly :?

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 6:30 am

It is possible for a clinical psychologist to know nothing at all - no more than the general public, about Aspergers, and certainly not know the difference between Aspergers and ADD.

My sister is one. And in the game of "spot the aspie" - I think she is aspie, same as me.