Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 5:47 am

I have variable memory abilities; they differ drastically, but they follow similar conditions. When I read or hear something (it is stronger for visual input by a significant margin), my recall capabilities are phenomenal (especially if strings of numbers are involved; even more so if those strings have meaning).

That said, my memory for anything is rather poor. And when I go to sleep, I tend to awake forgetting major portions of the previous day. I have trouble remembering what happened "yesterday." I sometimes have slightly better luck with older memories, but in truth, I'm more likely to remember scenic details than that of the information given. "Oh, yes, when that old woman wandered up and paid us in pennies . . . what had you said?"

I have many memory issues, but my brain does seem to engage in a "reboot" when I sleep. I carry a 4.0, but I study in the early AM (4-6) before any test, and all I do is read the guide or the notes I have taken. Sleep is supposed to reinforce learning, but it wipes it out for me. Additionally, "shot-term memory" is only a matter of 30 seconds to a minute. So what am I experiencing when I can remember the exact facts and figures of a morning conversation but the next day I don't remember that we even met?

Psychology is an interest of mine, so any theories are appreciated.

White_Wolf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Aug 2011, 5:57 am

My memory is peculiar as well. I can recall obscure information in great detail, and often remember conversations from years ago quite detailed. I am good at remembering information for school too, obscure facts. However, other things can't stick no matter how hard I try. Places, dates, time, directions: People can repeat them to me as many times as they want, but it won't stick. When I was a child, I was told that I was lazy and that I did not want to pay attention to what others say. I also tend to forget arguments and what I want to say mid-sentence, and I often have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday (if it wasn't in my mental schedule for the day) or what I justed talked to my girlfriend about. So not exactly the same as you, but I see parallels.

identity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 7:10 am

I seem to have a slightly strange memory aswell. Obviously if something worries me I am unlikely to forget it; ironically I can't remember the scicence behind it but I did read about it some time ago. I think it's the amygdala that stores fears, worries etc. and apparently things can kind of get "stuck" in that part of the brain.
However some other things I forget very easily and these can be things that I really want to remember which is so frustrating. I can remember some specific conversations with people from a long time ago! I seem to remember some rather useless information aswell!
Of course concentration plays a big part aswell and sometimes mine isn't very good so obviously I may not remember things very well from those times.