I so can't live with the pecking order

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 12:48 pm

New at my job, and my colleagues give me hell if I don't act like the most submissive puppy in the world. I pretend extreme submissiveness, but anyway it's never enough to them. The punishments when I stray a tiny bit from the utter submissiveness are not calling me when they go out for lunch, talking to me only when I talk to them, etc. If my boss notices that they ignore me, I'll be fired for not being likeable. So I keep trying to be more and more submissive, I just can't stand it anymore. And the colleagues are all in their 20s, I'm in my forties.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 12:52 pm

You are in a losing situation so why not just be yourself or try be deliberately assertive, make other lunch arrangements and just concentrate on doing a good job. Go out of your way to be nice to them but not submissive, and hopefully some will treat you better. Is it worth hanging on to a job where you have to put up with this?

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Sep 2007, 12:57 pm

Are you faceblind? You sound like me when I was working, and it was happening because I never recognized anybody. I figured that out years later, when it wasn't much use.

http://www.prosopagnosia.com

There are ways to cope if it's faceblindness. It's not the same as never remembering a face. Also, do you smile much?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:11 pm

Well, we are 1,000 employees, but slowly I'm getting to remember more and more faces.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:12 pm

I hate pecking order/hierachy

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:18 pm

I hate the pecking order/hierarchy because everything is so boring. There's no room for spontaneous relating, sharing, communicating, discovering each other, etc. It's all set in stone, the stone of the NT herd:

New on the job = you're expected to be submissive, all smiles even when hurt by bullying
Veteran on the job = you're expected to be assertive/aggressive, even a sour face when people are nice to you is perfectly fine

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:19 pm

Yeah they are cold and immovable!

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:24 pm

http://www.kickbully.com/main.html

You won't be respected if you submit to bullying. You have to stand up to it politely but firmly.

I learned that the hard way, unfortunately. But I'm determined never to let it go by again.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2007, 1:32 pm

Julie, if there's a scene, the new one goes home.

That website you posted is absolutely awesome! You should make a new thread so as to give it more exposure, I think...