Do aspies tend to have trouble with the law?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

I don't.

Of course, I was/am a "Rule Girl/Over-controlled,"

The only times I've ever been stopped were when I taking one of my 0300 walks around the neighborhood. The Fuzz tends to think you're up to no good if you have chronic insomnia. :lol:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

Yes. Hacking computers.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

swbluto wrote:
Well, do they?

Probably no more than anyone else. It's highly individualized. Some people get into trouble while others don't.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

I once had a cop stop his car walk over to me and question me about what I was smoking...it was a ciggerette but I had my hand up to block the wind to light it so he thought it was a pipe. lol, I was actually sort of insulted that he thought I was dumb enough to smoke a pipe right out in the open for all to see.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Cops always think I am high or lying to them due to my poor eye contact. I have had cops try to check my pupils to see if I am on drugs because I sometimes stagger pretty badly. One cop I told I was autistic and had a hard time with eye contact he said "Oh no, can I check you from the side then?" He was able to check my pupils then he let me go when I told him I stagger due to issues with my balance.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 9:02 pm

Last time I was questioned about whether or not I was high my eyes were quite red, but they where questioning my lack of eye contact and made no mention of the color of my eyes....so I told them I had eye contact issues since I was a child. Besides it was unlikely they where going to give me a drug test, considering I was not driving or anything like that.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I once had a cop stop his car walk over to me and question me about what I was smoking...it was a ciggerette but I had my hand up to block the wind to light it so he thought it was a pipe. lol, I was actually sort of insulted that he thought I was dumb enough to smoke a pipe right out in the open for all to see.

Once I had a Clove cigarette. It was black with a gold foil tip. A cop asked me what kind of cigarette it was after I asked him for a light.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2011, 9:33 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Last time I was questioned about whether or not I was high my eyes were quite red, but they where questioning my lack of eye contact and made no mention of the color of my eyes....so I told them I had eye contact issues since I was a child. Besides it was unlikely they where going to give me a drug test, considering I was not driving or anything like that.

Back in the 90's I never updated my ID so the cops would complain about it I would ask them if they were going to revoke my right to walk.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Once I had a Clove cigarette. It was black with a gold foil tip. A cop asked me what kind of cigarette it was after I asked him for a light.

I use to talk to the internal suspension cop at our school he told me he lit a guys ciggarette for him durring a simple traffic stop but when he was not looking the guy put his ciggarette out in his face then went for his gun. He beat the guy over the head with his pistol to the point the guy needed 65 stapples in his scalp to close his wounds. It was one of the most bad ass stories I have been told. He was a pretty good cop was and never a dick towards us. He told me back then he has never had to arrest one of the internal suspension kids outside of school. He would say it was the kids you never would think to cause trouble to be the ones getting arrested.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

i don't think so in general.. but i tend to think about laws and think about what sense they make or destroy our freedom.. with those, i do have a problem.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Yes, I've had terribly much trouble with the law. And it all started just because one cop thought I was weird. Yep. My cellmate in jail was a diagnosed Aspie, too, and his thing, he wasn't so much on a trumped up charge as I was, but he reacted to a situation in a way that was...logical, but didn't really particularly work for him. Lots of Aspies get in trouble for that. http://www.copblock.org/3759/young-man- ... to-police/ Like this, there was nothing wrong with what he did, technically, but he didn't know "if you're dealing with a cop, he can legally beat your ass and get away with it no problem, so when dealing with cops it's most of the time better to take their crap." My celly btw, was this kid, http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/x11 ... e-shooting He was right in what he did, imo, the group of "nice teenagers" he shot at in the article was actually a small town gang who'd harass people and do bad stuff constantly. To prove it was a small town gang, a person in my unit in jail was in this small town gang, and was very angry at my celly over this. Also, my celly told me in that argument, someone pulled a knife out on him and put it to his throat. So he came back, and fired upon them without trying to kill, just to threaten. What he did wasn't really "wrong" however, it's something that'll get you in trouble. He ended up doing 2 years and getting probation and pretty much ruining his life over something he could have just walked away from.

I think another thing with Aspies, because we tend to "think" through much more things, everything seems "premeditated" because to us everything is premeditated. Example, if a normal person, let's say, shoots someone in a bar fight or something like that, right. Normal person can go "I wasn't thinking, I didn't mean to!" and then possibly get the charges dropped from a Murder 1 to a Murder 3 or Intentional Manslaughter or even lower. Aspie on the other hand, if they were in the same situation, would appear to others as cold and emotionless and if confessing, would probably just say "yeah I shot him, of course I meant to kill him, I shot him with a firearm" and then the prosecutor would have no sympathy because the Aspie doesn't "feel" remorse, even if he understands the implications of his actions.

One thing I was told, too, upon going to jail for the second time, was "You have a very principled thought process, and I'm afraid of how you'd react to certain situations in general population, where the people don't have a principled thought process like you."