Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:28 am

I hate loud noise too!
I hate people who make it on purpose or childeren in the back garden (near my house or a few houses down) screaming out of control.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:34 am

I don't particularly like people talking or laughing too loud as it annoys me however i can cope with loud music as it keeps me going.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 4:19 pm

I am bothered by loud noise - sirens, horns, loud conversations ... I can't think properly when there's a lot of noise and I get very agitated. When something suddenly breaks the silence I always jump.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 12:55 am

OH MY GOSH.

Like....I don't know why, but when I was about to have a full-fledged meltdown...I calmly took my metal chair and attacked it.

The noise AND the pent up aggression being released felt good.

I also love to listen to loud alternative rock songs with super depressing lyrics when I am sad.

Finally, I just turn any music up really loud when I am tired and can't focus on something.

But it has been bothering me, why did the loud noise satisfy my sensory-wise?

Anyone?

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 2:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
I always feel a bit disorientated when I first walk into a noisy environment with lots of loud music playing and lots of things going on, but after a while my ears get tuned in to it and it becomes a background noise.

(I am responding to an old post, I know.)

This is what I experience, more or less. I feel dazed and out of sorts and sometimes anxious, but I'm able to cope when I can distract myself and focus on something else.

Sometimes, when I'm already on edge, though, I can't listen to music or deal with loud noise--it can stress me out further. Aside from that, I can get startled by unexpected loud noises, like a car backfiring or a motorcycle engine revving.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2013, 4:03 am

Loud noises like fireworks or cars backfiring have always terrified me. I stay away from firework displays and have to hang on to my husband and the dog in the days before and after bonfire night. Why do people let off fireworks for lots of other occasions these days?
I hate children screaming. I understand they may make a lot of noise sometimes but to scream and scream all afternoon is horrible and I cannot understand their parents letting them. At the first sign of decent weather my neighbours used to come in the garden and shout and scream including the parents. Fortunately they have grown up now but others have replaced them.
Good music played loud is fine but put an inane radio show on at a volume that you cannot hear properly and it drives me mad. I once worked in an office next to a colleague with tinnitus and he played classical music at a low volume to relieve it. There was nothing I could say because he was 'disabled'. I also had to try to work in a large office where a radio was playing and I had to ask if it was allowed and was met by an odd look. It gives me headaches. I walked out! Fortunately I was relocated.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 4:45 am

I can relate to Panddora above about workplace noise. It's one of my current issues at work. I'm actually refusing to do some of my tasks that are to be done in the room where the radio is playing. That noise kind of makes me feel claustrophobic and is very distressing. That, combined with my poor social skills, is further isolating me at work. Half the people don't even greet me at work. Some even seem to be turning the volume up just to annoy me. My bosses seem to think I am the problem. I wonder if getting a diagnosis can force them to remove the radio.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2013, 5:25 am

jk1 wrote:
I can relate to Panddora My bosses seem to think I am the problem. I wonder if getting a diagnosis can force them to remove the radio.

It depends where you live and the attitude of management. If I had even the slightest clue I had AS I would never have left my previous job (with the same organisation). I had been told I was wierd and I asked to go part time which was a huge mistake for me. However I have recently dealt with a person who worked for a large local authority which appears to have totally disregarded all the English legislation on disability despite this person having diagnosed AS and other issues covered by the various acts. The law has rarely been challenged as this can be very costly and legal aid is very hard to get. I have also been in a situation where one member of staff was disabled in one way and their support caused issues with another member staff who had health problems. This took a lot of work to sort out and the resolution was not really satisfactory. Management could say that keeping x number of staff content by listening to inane non-music outweighs one persons needs and will see you as a nuisance. I think music in the workplace should be banned for what it is worth!.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2013, 6:52 am

This is something I have been affected by all my life. I am currently off sick from work and my neighbour has workmen in doing construction. I cannot understand why they wait until they start hammering or drilling to start talking to each other - requiring them to shout to each other! I found this article about sensory processing and hypersensitivity quite interesting.

http://www.aspiestrategy.com/2009/12/as ... ffect.html

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 6:58 am

Not keen on loud noises but can put up with a short one if you know it is coming.

Can't deal with multiple noises though, someone talking to me while there is background noise just gives me a meltdown! (is that a typical AS trait?)

Love loud music though, if it is my choice of music of course! :lol:

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

Tried to do some gardening this afternoon and someone was playing a radio outside. I had to keep coming inside to get away from the noise.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

I find the din of conversations/human noises to be disorienting, yet the sounds emanating from our machines to be enjoyable.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

Quote:
What is it I'm supposed to be missing? Is noise relaxing to people? Does it cause a reaction in the brain like a dopamine rush? Because whatever their brain's reaction is, it's apparently the exact opposite in mine.

It doesn't sound as loud to them, I think.

Take a video you like and put it to maximum volume - it becomes painful instead of enjoyable. Put it down to the right volume, and you can enjoy it.

You're going through life set at max volume.

LoudMuch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2013, 5:42 pm

... Ahem

Keep it down in here!

I"m trying to type!

nthasama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

My roommates took me to a dance here at college and I don't think I will ever go to another one. The music was so loud you had to shout over it, and they had flashing, moving, colored lights, as well as strobe lights that would randomly come on during certain songs, and there were so many people you couldn't move without hitting someone. After a while I couldn't stand it anymore and had to leave, and it was such a relief when I got out and it was dark, and fairly quiet, and there was no one around, and I could just walk back to my apartment alone in near silence. It is hard to ride in the car with these roommates because they play their music deafeningly loud, and won't leave it on the same channel, so they will be blasting one song, and the without warning a new song will start blasting, they will listen to that for a few minutes to a few seconds, and then suddenly a completely new type of song will come on, like from country to heavy metal. There is no way to predict when it will change because they don't wait for the song to end, just change it in the middle.

I also hate vacuums. Some are louder than others, but the constant roar of them is overwhelming to me, as well as babies crying.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
I am sitting in the lounge at my university's student center. Right now, students are speaking, laughing and running around at full volume. They're so loud not only can people on campus hear them, people across town can probably hear. This is one thing I could never understand about NTs. They absolutely love being loud, doing loud things, and listening to loud things.

Oh my uni is just a sensory hell! Even just walking through the halls there are so many people running in different directions stopping and talking loudly , laughing -not to mention the olfactory assault- certain smells were just not meant to be mixed with others.

I like to be loud though. Sometimes I like to be loud to block out other noise. I;m a hummer...I'll hum when it gets to noisy and I'll read out loud to myself-at full volume and in public if necessary - if I'm trying to study or just read and can't focus because of the noise.