online courses and executive dysfunction

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

I've just started a new semester in a new university, and for the first time I'm taking an online course (Cree language). I'm really worried about how my executive dysfunction may affect my ability to take the course. According to my course outline I have to log on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It's going to be a lot harder for me to remember that than it is to remember an in-person class. And unlike my previous university it sounds like in this one lack of attendance can count against you even if you still do the course work. (In my previous university the only consequence for not attending was missing information that would later be on exams.)

Any advice for handling this? I've emailed the prof explaining the situation and asking if she could be lenient about attendance provided I still do the course work. What else might you advise?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

What exactly is executive dysfunction?

I think what you've done is pretty good so far. I find it unlikely that they won't accommodate your needs after your email.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:09 am

I've had no luck with online courses but don't let that discourage you. For me it was a combination of executive dysfunction and depression. The depression is what did me in. I explained to one professor who taught an online class I was enrolled in on beekeeping that I was having a bit of a hard time (I don't know if at the time I was diagnosed with Asperger's or what, can't remember), and he was very kind and willing to extend due dates beyond the strict 12:59 pm deadlines the course system dictated. So I could have done it were it not for just being really depressed. Anyway sounds like a good thing you did e-mailing the professor and sounds like a most interesting class and I wish you luck!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

I set alarms on my cell phone calendar for everything. Everything.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:38 am

Set a reminder. I have problems remembering course times and I usually use sticky notes on my laptop to plan and have my to do list for me to see everyday. It might work for you too.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

Quote:
What exactly is executive dysfunction?

Difficulty regulating behavior. Things like poor time sense, difficulty initiating, difficulty inhibiting (impulsivity), poor planning, inability to control how much effort you put into something, poor pospective memory (remembering to remember), etc.

It's a major area of difficulty for autism, ADHD and many other developmental disabilities.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

Ettina wrote:
I've just started a new semester in a new university, and for the first time I'm taking an online course (Cree language). I'm really worried about how my executive dysfunction may affect my ability to take the course. According to my course outline I have to log on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It's going to be a lot harder for me to remember that than it is to remember an in-person class. And unlike my previous university it sounds like in this one lack of attendance can count against you even if you still do the course work. (In my previous university the only consequence for not attending was missing information that would later be on exams.)

Any advice for handling this? I've emailed the prof explaining the situation and asking if she could be lenient about attendance provided I still do the course work. What else might you advise?

1. Get access to an electronic calendar (i.e Gmail).
2. On the days that you need to get important tasks done, post reminders to get whatever tasks need to get done for that day. In your case, post onto an electronic calendar that for every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from the first day of the online course until the last day of the course, to log on.

Take it from me. I am currently taking a bunch of grad school classes along with fulfilling my Teaching Assistant responsibilities. For every single task that is important and needs to get done, I make myself a reminder on my electronic school calendar to get it done by a certain date at which I should get it done.

Hope this advice helps you.