are there any similarities between austism and down syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gyaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2012, 11:01 am

are there any similarities between austism and down syndrome? some people say they are similar but i don't think so.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 11:08 am

Those people are ignorant. My dad's one of those people and it drives me crazy that he would actually think that way about me. I don't see Down Syndrome as a bad thing, either. Autism and Down Syndrome are two different things all together. Autistic brains and Down Syndrome brains are as different as day and night. Both are to be celebrated in my opinion, though.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

people with down syndrome have less intellegence and are very friendly and mellow and gentle. people with asperger syndrome have higher intellegence and have a lesser need for company. we're more independent. and instead of mellow, we have rage attacks. i'm not saying we can't be gentle and i'm not trying to patronize or insult people with down syndrome. i've always liked them and they're like angles, so sweet and innocent and warm, and they're real, they don't pretend. voilence is unheard of in people with down syndrome.
aspies tend to be hyperactive. i was horribly hyper in my youth. people with down syndrom are very calm with no trace of hyperactivity.
seems like we're opposites. only things we have in common is a problem understanding rules, problems in self expressions and understanding what people are saying, sometimes, and difficulties in understanding the proper social response. oh, and slowness in motor skills, maybe slow processing sometimes, too.
i've always enjoyed the company of ret*d people better than regular people and always liked them better. i think they like me, too, but it's hard to say because i've spoken to one only. but he liked me right away.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 12:32 pm

Why am I getting a feeling of deja vu? The notion that autism and down syndrome are in anyway similar is utterly absurd.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2012, 1:57 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
voilence (sic) is unheard of in people with down syndrome.

Hello!

Not necessarily. ANYONE can get violent, under sufficient circumstances.

I had an uncle with Down's. He'd get violent, but he had to REALLY be provoked. As he aged, he became more and more prone to violence.

He lived into his early 60s, which is unusual for people with that disorder. This emphasizes the need for parents to make arrangement for continuing care in case of their own deaths.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 3:09 pm

They are entirely two different disorders that are reported as co-morbid conditions in individuals per research. Not unlike ADHD, Fragile X syndrome, 22q11 deletios syndrome, and many other conditions reported co-morbid with autism.

http://www.mendeley.com/research/comorbidity-autistic-spectrum-disorders-children-down-syndrome/

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:29 pm

gyaspie wrote:
are there any similarities between austism and down syndrome? some people say they are similar but i don't think so.

Well, some (actually a lot) of people don't know what they're talking about.

A lot of people see social adroitness as an intellectual skill, when it's actually more of an instinctual one. So, when someone has such difficulties it gives normal people the impression of cognitive impairment. But they're incorrect. I hear that people with Down's tend to be better socially than people with ASD, despite the cognitive impairment.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jan 2012, 5:49 pm

The main similarity is that both are syndromes.