What are your outbursts or meltdowns like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 3:53 pm

I'm never quite sure how other Aspies respond to these sorts of things, but I know mine are just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

I don't try to shove things up my arse, but I have tried to shove objects into my ears before, but obviously couldn't. And I don't hit my head in with a shoe, instead I do it with my own hands.

What are your meltdowns like? Are your's similar to this, or are they different sort of? Mine are more like freak-outs. It's a whole load of angry emotions coming out at once. My mum says that I express TOO MUCH emotion, instead of not enough.

Things that set me into this manic rage are: snow being forecasted or somebody having a sick bug. Those are the two major things that set me off, obviously it doesn't happen much because winter only comes once a year, and nobody hardly gets sick bugs in my house *touch wood*.

Last edited by Joe90 on 12 Sep 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 4:04 pm

I start to cry and scream, I pace, curl my hands into fists, I feel like hitting myself and hand flapping and hitting people. I also rock back and forth and start to twist my fingers or wring them. Sometimes I throw things. Sometimes I will hit my hand against stuff.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

I do not get many, but i do get annoyed when people are inconsiderate of my feelings and then expect ME to be guilty and just hand over everything.

It happened today when my mum went to the shop, and I went as well for pretty much the same thing, bread and while my mum got herself a couple of puzzle magazines I got myself a very rare bag of jelly babies...

As soon as I got home she was straight into my bag to find out what I had and decided she was liberating the bag of jelly babies that I had bought, even though she was at the same shop and could've bought her own...yeah, that pissed me off but what pissed me off more is how she tried to make me feel guilty for not simply handing them over.

I do get angry only when people try to take what is rightfully mine, I do not mind an fair offer...but having had so little in my life there is no way I ever like just handing things over. And I am not selfish, I just do not believe that people should have the right to expect they can just take what they want from you, it is nothing short of theft quite frankly and control.

Last edited by Sparhawke on 12 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

When I was younger, I would scream and punch or throw things. Now I throw things and then end up crying and rocking.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

Thankfully nothing pushes me over the edge enough to make me have one in real life. In my mind, well, that's a different story-- I scream repeatedly while banging my fists against a tabletop or some other surface, with my head down.
Hopefully that won't become a reality in the future. Fantasy for me is powerful enough to suffice as it is.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2011, 5:06 pm

I don't get them often as I am usually a very calm person (Lots of effort and practice for that), and I also smoke/vaporize cannabis so that helps. But when I do have a meltdown I'll cry and pace while mumbling and talking angrily about whatever set me off (Usually people... Especially fights with my girlfriend) and saying the dialogue I want to say, I'll also make fists and hit myself and also doors and walls if it's bad. I have the urge to hit others sometimes aswell but I've always been able to stop myself. When I was a kid, I WAS similar to this kid when I had bad meltdowns... minus the remote in the ass, I can't say I;ve ever been that angry ethier :P

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

I am theoretically walking on a tight rope all the time. Most of the time I'm steady, but the wind might make me unballanced. When I'm unballanced, I snap at people in short bursts of anger. When I'm wobbling on one foot to try and stay on the tight rope, I am usually emotional. When I fall over and grab onto the rope, that's when I start going into a shutdown. When I let go of the rope, that's a full on meltdown.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2011, 5:43 pm

Mine are very similar to the one in the video, although I as well have never tried to shove something up my butt (to my knowledge lol).

I scream and hit and smash my body into walls. Punch and scratch myself, pull my hair...it's not pretty.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

PeaceFrog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

Mine are intense but nothing like the kid in the video. Lol. When I was really young my worst meltdowns were triggered by having to take medicine (which, in one case I turned out to be allergic to it!) I used to bang my head on things and cry until I exhausted myself. Now I have more control but every once in awhile I'll yell and throw things and occasionally hit or scratch myself. For the most part, the "meltdown" occurs in my mind and it's only when I try to express my emotions that it gets out of hand.

@Dr_Cheeba - I also find cannabis helpful :-)

Your Aspie score: 161 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 45

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

One or more of the following things can happen during my meltdowns: crying, screaming fits, throwing things, hitting things, ripping my hair out, self-mutilation. I also find cannabis to be extremely helpful so that I can prevent a meltdown from getting worse. If I'm out of cannabis, things are going to get ugly.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:14 am

I can't remember well what they were like when I was a kid. Now when private, I would throw things wildly, hit the bed with my fists, mess up the linen, kick the door frame pretty much the same manner as the boy in this video, minus the self harm and some intensity, and I'm 38. :) I wouldn't harm anybody, and I try not to harm myself either. Sometimes I'd yell and curse badly when out of temper, even in public places. The most likely example of it is road-rage that I fear very much.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

i mostly stack it all up as much as i can but most of the time i get a meltdown, before meltdown i would take a look at my mom like''are you gonna temper your daughter or does my agression has to?" guess what happens? i start cursing and sometimes even hit her.
it just takes my body over and i always get blamed for having agression issues.
but no they can't understand since they don't take the time to read some info on the A'Syndrome i've send them troughout the months.
afterwards i usually go cry because i feel so bad for hurting my sister and underestimating my mom's parenting.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.