Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Aug 2011, 10:39 pm

When I first told my close friend who lives in Tigard about my Aspergers, she had just come back from church. I'm not a religious person, but my close friend was deep into religion. Every five minutes she would mention something that happened at church. But right before I told her about Aspergers, she said "While we were in our moment of silence, I heard a voice in my head say 'Aspergers'. I don't know what it is, but I think it's a part of my life somehow."

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's something I've been pondering for about a year now.

Any thoughts?

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 10:43 pm

I'm not a fan of organized religion, mainly because you have to conform to a certain set of beliefs. I'm definitely more of a spiritual person. In fact, I bet a lot of Aspies are against organized religion because of the fact that we are nonconformists. :wink:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

My mom is an atheist. My dad is an atheist. I, too, am an atheist. I haven't ever been to a church in my life. We save a lot of money. :lol:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:48 pm

I don't know how I feel about these things right now...

...but you did say that she mentioned Aspergers right BEFORE you told her (as opposed to right after...which would be suspicious.) Very interesting!

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:58 pm

I recently tried Christianity again partly because of my mom nagging me for not going. So I tried an Episcopal Denomination. I did think the people were quite friendly and welcoming there but the actual service is mostly just lots and lots of recital of phrases or singing.

I just didn't get it. I don't really follow ideas like worship or prayer that well.

I do kind of enjoy actual teachings though. Like if someone is discussing a lesson Jesus was trying to teach, or sermons telling more contemporary stories, but those are usually a small part of the service.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm

littlelily613 wrote:

...but you did say that she mentioned Aspergers right BEFORE you told her (as opposed to right after...which would be suspicious.) Very interesting!

Oh, so it did happen before? Now that is interesting.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

SammichEater wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

Yeah. She's so chatty though, it took about five minutes for an empty pause. I just blurted it out; "I have Aspergers".

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:
I'm not a fan of organized religion, mainly because you have to conform to a certain set of beliefs. I'm definitely more of a spiritual person. In fact, I bet a lot of Aspies are against organized religion because of the fact that we are nonconformists. :wink:

But conforming to a certain set of beliefs isn't required for organized religion. Sharing beliefs is, but not having identical ones. Organized religion is about the similarities in beliefs, not the differences, but doesn't require it to be identical.

On the other hand there is a lot of organized religion that does "require" that, but its not a necessity just from organized religion.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:20 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I haven't ever been to a church in my life. We save a lot of money. :lol:

That reminds me. Without throwing this thread off topic, could someone enlighten me as to what churches actually make collections mandatory? At my church (or any churches in the SSPX for that matter), the only people who give more than a buck at collections are old people who actually have money to throw away. Most of the time, my dad doesn't have anything to give, and nobody cares. But a lot of people tell me how they have to give so much cash to their church. I've never seen this. I heard LDS makes it mandatory (please correct me), but that's it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:22 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

Yeah. She's so chatty though, it took about five minutes for an empty pause. I just blurted it out; "I have Aspergers".

Of course, there's no way to prove this, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that something like this could be explained by a memory recollection error. Is that actually what really happened, or is it how you remember it to have happened? A connection might not have been made at the time, but afterwards, it could have formed.

I'm just point out that nobody ever says "I know what's going to happen tomorrow." It's always the day after where people say "I foresaw this yesterday."

Last edited by SammichEater on 06 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

Tuttle wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:

But conforming to a certain set of beliefs isn't required for organized religion. Sharing beliefs is, but not having identical ones. Organized religion is about the similarities in beliefs, not the differences, but doesn't require it to be identical.

On the other hand there is a lot of organized religion that does "require" that, but its not a necessity just from organized religion.

Well, I don't really share many of my beliefs with other religions. I'm pretty much a nonconformist.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:17 am

Or... maybe she had read about Asperger's or overheard someone saying the word before and it just popped in her head randomly during the moment of silence? Or... maybe she already suspected you had Asperger's and was trying to drop a hint?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:33 am

SammichEater wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

Of course, there's no way to prove this, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that something like this could be explained by a memory recollection error. Is that actually what really happened, or is it how you remember it to have happened? A connection might not have been made at the time, but afterwards, it could have formed.

I'm just point out that nobody ever says "I know what's going to happen tomorrow." It's always the day after where people say "I foresaw this yesterday."

Then what would the point of this thread be? I remember it as if it happened yesterday.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:38 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Then what would the point of this thread be? I remember it as if it happened yesterday.

I'm not sure. I don't believe you specified. You asked for thoughts on the subject, and that's what I was thinking. It seems to be the most reasonable explanation to any sort of "sixth sense."

Actually, after doing a quick Google search, it appears to be a well known logical fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_sharpshooter_fallacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_illusion

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2011, 12:51 am

I don't believe in any god or any religion, instead of accepting an archaic definition of existence, i just appreciate nature, and take the most out of my existence.

Deuterium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2011, 1:49 am

My interest in others plummets when finding out they ascribe to an organized religion or to supernatural concepts, with 'supporting evidence' being supposed intangible experiences generated by their own minds in order to justify their ridiculous beliefs in an age of the ever-increasing prevalence of science. And some of those same people would try to convince me that I'm the one with the broken brain.

Of course, my interest in others wasn't that high to begin with, so this isn't much of a loss to me.