Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 6:33 am

Do any of you believe or have an interest in the paranormal? I mean things like ghosts, bigfoot, nessie, UFOs, extraterrestrials, etc. I happen to be obsessed with such things. I'm currently reading books on the subject and am particularly interested in Bigfoot. I realise you don't actually have to believe in these things to have an interest in them, which is well because I only believe in some of the things I read about :wink:

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 6:37 am

I am also interested in the paranormal. I wouldn't call it an obsession, for me, though.

I am particularly interested in ghosts, because I have seen a few myself. I guess that makes me a believer :) . I am also interested in psychic phenonmenon, such as mind-reading and out of body experiences.

Bigfoot and UFOs do not interest me quite as much, though I do like Nessie and The Jersey Devil. Aliens are my brother's area of expertise :) .

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 6:44 am

I was interested in the paranormal as a kid- (not so much aliens though)- I wsa forver taking a stack of books home from the library about ghosts, telekinesis, psychics, etc.

I still go through phases where I like to read about that kind of thing- I read a book about a year ago about a medium called Helen Duncan- who was the last woman to be tried for witchcraft in the UK. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottishhi ... dern.shtml

I don't think you have to believe in all you read to find it interesting.

I also still have an interest in psychic experiences and I have a strong believe that such things are not some kind of trick

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2005, 7:46 am

I am certainly interested in all sorts of paranormal stuff, although like other people, I am not sure whether I actually believe these things are real. Some kinds of phenomena are more likely to be true than others, I guess.

I am particularly interested in out-of-the-body experiences, because when I was a kid I used to experience something that was very like the descriptions that I have read about these. HOWEVER ..... I can't be sure that what I experienced was not some sort of weird dream! Sure, this would mean that lots of people must be having very similar dreams; but this is not impossible. Apparently dreams of flying, or finding yourself in a public place with no clothes are also very common dreams!

I used to find the 'out of the body' experiences rather frightening, because firstly I felt paralysed, and secondly I would feel a weird and rather unpleasant "roaring" or "vibrating" sensation before feeling "pulled" in some way out of the body . (Its difficult to describe these sensations, but I remember them quite well).

I have had these experiences very very rarely as an adult.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Glenn

'All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night .... wake in the day to find that it was vanity:but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible' (T.E.Lawrence)

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 7:57 am

There are plenty of people who believe that they can have an OofBE at will. I have trouble meditating (cos I find it hard to still my mind and I hafe trouble visualising to order) so I've never tried the OBE thing.

Mel

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 9:41 am

Psychlone wrote:
Do any of you believe or have an interest in the paranormal? I mean things like ghosts, bigfoot, nessie, UFOs, extraterrestrials, etc. I happen to be obsessed with such things. I'm currently reading books on the subject and am particularly interested in Bigfoot. I realise you don't actually have to believe in these things to have an interest in them, which is well because I only believe in some of the things I read about :wink:

I find it entertaining but don't believe in it. I'm open for it tho, there's so much we don't know about the world I am definitely not willing to make any claims that what we see is all that is there.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2005, 1:21 pm

Psychlone wrote:

I don't want to believe in any of that. Makes me nervous. But I have cought myself listening to Coast To Coast AM.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 3:16 pm

I find the paranormal simultaneously both extremely fascinating and unutterably ridiculous... If I ever read anything, no doubt lots of it would be about supernatural phenomena..... :oops:

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2005, 4:33 pm

I don't believe in anything like that... I have a sceptical mind.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 7:07 pm

I believe in it all - and believe it is all real.

I'm not so sure about Bigfoot as such, but supernatural and paranormal I strongly believe exists. I'm very open minded.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 8:41 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

You believe in it all? That strikes me as a little..... naive, shall we say.... I can accept that people can believe in certain odd (to me at least) things, but to say you believe in all paranormal phenomena strikes me as rather over the top, wouldn't you say?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 10:13 pm

Ok, I believe in the majority then. There might be certain things that are obviously a hoax, and stuff I don't even know about.

As for your post - Get over it. I don't want to see you whinge about things if you don't even accept what other people say without calling them "naive" and "over the top".

You just offended me and annoyed me. If I want to get catagorised and judged I'll go back to high school.

Rekkr
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2005, 12:30 am

"Scully, do you believe in the existence of exterrestrials..."

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2005, 5:39 am

TAFKASH wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

You believe in it all? That strikes me as a little..... naive, shall we say.... I can accept that people can believe in certain odd (to me at least) things, but to say you believe in all paranormal phenomena strikes me as rather over the top, wouldn't you say?
Say sorry to hale_bopp, TAFKASH... that was a bit personal and I think I would have been annoyed too. Can I please remind people that it is not acceptable to ridicule the personal beliefs of others. :shameonyou:

Personally, I'm pretty open minded to the possibility of most paranormal phenomena, and some seem quite likely to be correct - there are many things yet unproven but it doesn't logically follow that they are not real - like many now established scientific paradigms which were once thought to be fantasy.

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

venom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2005, 7:55 am

Glenn wrote:
I used to find the 'out of the body' experiences rather frightening, because firstly I felt paralysed, and secondly I would feel a weird and rather unpleasant "roaring" or "vibrating" sensation before feeling "pulled" in some way out of the body . (Its difficult to describe these sensations, but I remember them quite well).

I have had these experiences very very rarely as an adult.

Has anyone else had experiences like this?

Glenn

Oh man the roaring you got it too? I used to get it as a kid as well. The way I would describe it is like a deafening sound, except you 'heard' it not with your ears, but with your soul. I actually percieved the roaring as the voices of people, even though I could never make out any actual words. It was like the overlapping voices of millions of people, and along with this I could feel a staggering presence. It was kinda scary but also exciting. Back then I just accepted that it was something that would happen everynow and then in my dreams; only now do i realise it was a bit weird.

On the general topic of the so called 'paranormal'- telepathy=real. That much at least I know, from experience. Beyond that...well I tend to keep a critical but open mind on these matters. I need to go to bed now, I might share my thoughts on some specifics tomorrow.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2005, 3:04 pm

duncvis wrote:
TAFKASH wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Say sorry to hale_bopp, TAFKASH... that was a bit personal and I think I would have been annoyed too. Can I please remind people that it is not acceptable to ridicule the personal beliefs of others. :shameonyou:

Personally, I'm pretty open minded to the possibility of most paranormal phenomena, and some seem quite likely to be correct - there are many things yet unproven but it doesn't logically follow that they are not real - like many now established scientific paradigms which were once thought to be fantasy.

Dunc

:oops: Sorry - I wasn't having a go at anyone or ridiculing anyone: honest guv! It just seemed a little odd that someone would profess to believe in all paranormal phenomena, many of which have been proved as hoaxes in the past. C'mon hale_bopp, let's hug and make up - whaddaya say? :D