Turn the radio down. I don't care if it's a sweet sound.

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What do you think about music?
Waste of time that could be spent thinking. 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Enjoy it. 81%  81%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 31

pudgy2010
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

hey so we're talking about music eh? ooooh, i can't live with out it! though i just like todays pop rock some and some r&b. i hate jazz,country,classical and opera irritates the heck out of me. i love the lyrics in music you can move to so i can sing AND dance. i'm in a hip hop dance class and i love it! it's in huntington beach..i am very well known in the class for my quick dance moves. anyway, i have to have my ipod and headphones on me at all times no questions asked. its apart of me. sometimes i just want to attach it to me sircigally. i know tjhats weird to say but i hope the near future that will go along with the microchips. hehe anyway i fell weird saying that yet comfy here. i cant do anything with out music . LITERALLY. i think i want to try music in colledge. being 28 i dont know if i can get going quick enough in it. anyway those are MY 2 cents. :)

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

I love music, but I only love certain music. If I'm in the car with the radio on, I'm constantly changing the channel trying to find something.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

young_god wrote:
(...)
Most of the listening back is at quite a reasonable level, however, there is always
the 'Crank it right up to 11' periods, either for impressing clients or sometimes
just for a bit of perspective and your own enjoyment.

But......
When I go round somebody's house and they have the tv blasting out, it actually physically hurts my ears because of the frequencies.

The same with a 'bad sound system' in a club.

It has nothing to do with volume. I like it so loud that my trousers flap!
My hearing is average for my time of life - which means pretty good.

So, I love music and love it loud. But please turn down your TV when I visit.
It actually causes pain. (...)

Interesting, I think I have similar experience. Sometimes I like to crank up the volume, but only on decent audio systems. Other times, when there's a cheap clock-radio playing at low volume tuned to a (recent) pop program punctuated with commercials, I get annoyed by it pretty soon, not just because it's program is crap, but also the horrible sound quality it has. Metallic, distorted, lacking a lot of "nuance" is an understatement, I can barely hear more than a repetitive, overbearing, prominent "tune" (3 or 4 lousy notes) repeating over and over again, intruding in my ears and mind unsolicited. I have no defense against it. That's just not fair. I hate it.

Radio stations use dynamic compression and limitation in order to sound louder and thus have a wider broadcasting area as far as S/N ratio considered while complying with the tech standard of 75 kHz maximum deviation. In addition, commercial radio stations go farther, use extreme compression and bass boost to sound "catchier", idk, in my opinion it's just plain horrible.

@jojobean: I can see how hearing impairment can affect sensitivity, making it worse. I have a (really) mild hearing impairment, and I guess I'm more sensitive to sounds than I used to before my hearing become worse.