Can you tell by looking at someone if they are an NT or not?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

Can you tell by looking at someone if they are NT or not?

Here is a video of me rambling on, I am curious as to how others would see me.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

What video?

10 yo dd on the spectrum

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5qY0J6Lmts This one.

Sorry, my computer glitched whilst I was going back to edit the post to put the video link in and seems to have posted the thread twice. My appologies.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

I wouldn't know if I saw that video without knowing you. Just by what you are saying about yourself, I can tell you have problems. But I wouldn't jump to labeling you with autism. I only saw the first three minutes of it.

That must be you in the avatar.

stephiibean
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

To answer your question (can't watch the video just now. sorry!)
No. I don't think you can tell whether someone is NT or not just by looking at them.

A lot of people think i'm NT even when they find out I have AS. They honestly don't believe I have it.
I have a lot of friends who don't know I have AS and think i'm NT even after getting to know me they don't think i've got anything wrong.

so not I don't believe in the slightest you can tell whether someone is NT or has AS by looking at them.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 12:01 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wouldn't know if I saw that video without knowing you. Just by what you are saying about yourself, I can tell you have problems. But I wouldn't jump to labeling you with autism. I only saw the first three minutes of it.

My avatar for here? Yes that is a thinner me from about 8 or 9 years ago. I think was about 27 or 28 in that picture.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 12:17 pm

Can't get a read on depressed people - all affect is muted.

So long as you don't have deep bitterness or damage, if you stay healthy and be kind to people then you get mad karma and people will love you. It's not obvious cause and effect though, more an article of faith.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2011, 1:43 pm

bumble wrote:

I thought you were charming, depression and all. If I met you I think we'd probably hit it off pretty quickly. I've never had an interest in geology though. And I'd start talking all Britishy because I have studied a lot of British literature, so I've got the vocab and the nuances dancing around in my brain.

Other people may say you seem depressed but I'm dysthmic, so you seem just the right speed for me.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

fraac wrote:
Can't get a read on depressed people - all affect is muted.

So long as you don't have deep bitterness or damage, if you stay healthy and be kind to people then you get mad karma and people will love you. It's not obvious cause and effect though, more an article of faith.

^^^THIS^^^ Depression on top of AS looks like depression to me and needs to be treated as a priority IMHO.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:32 pm

The treatment for depression does not work. Therapy has failed and tends to make things worse (mostly because my therapists fail to understand me and it just makes me feel even more lonely) and medication just makes me high whereas I don't normally get highs without the medication. I also get allergic reactions to a lot of antidepressants.

When I have friends to have fascinating conversations with though about things I find interesting I do not feel as depressed. I also do not feel depressed when I study. Only when I think about how lonely I feel. Although I can still feel depressed with company if I feel misunderstood by that company.

I think I need to learn to accept that maybe there isn't anyone out there who does understand me. I honestly do not believe there is.

I don't enjoy most of the things that others enjoy (pubbing, clubbing) as I much prefer to study.

I cannot deal with the way people are consumed with matters that are not important in the grand scheme of things (such as wide screen tvs being more important than helping the homeless or starving). The world is falling apart out there.

People are judgemental to the point of discrimination and prejudice

People who are different are labelled as broken or defective or mentally ill

People who are homeless are kicked and spat upon

And the quest for status, power and money has become more important than the humanity.

The world is a mess and I can do nothing to change it.

I cannot run with the pack. I cannot be what society expects of me, I am not interested in materialism or power or status. I am interested in passion, and love and beauty and kindness and equality and of people being seen not as defective but different and acceptable. I want humans to stop being creul to each other.

And I can't change any of it, I can't even find friends let alone make any difference out there. I can't run with the pack, I can't join them.

I'm too weird.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Maybe that is why I turned away from the social sciences and Psychology as a subject to study and went over to the natural sciences and Art instead.

I can create beauty through art and the planet needs help (given that we are slolwy destroying it) just as much as society does.

I cannot help society, I cannot help people as I do not fully understand them and their ideologies and they do not understand mine. So therefore I can do nothing for them. All I ever wanted from childhood was to ease peoples suffering. I would see them in pain and want to take that pain away so that they felt better. Now I don't know what to do with my life so am in the middle of a crisis.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:53 pm

bumble wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

My avatar for here? Yes that is a thinner me from about 8 or 9 years ago. I think was about 27 or 28 in that picture.

Yes I meant here.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:54 pm

What the hell am I supposed to do with my life?

I cannot make a difference. I can do nothing to change the world. I cannot make society a better place.

What am I here for?

What is the point of it all when I can change nothing. When I can help no one because society will not even accept me let alone let me love them or help them.

I have no love in my life. I am lonely without love.

Life is empty without love, beauty and passion.

Why do humans have to be so creul to each other? Why can't they accept each other? Why are they so consumed with status and power and money? Why is that more important than the human heart and soul?

The world does not have to be the way it is, that is the sad thing. We make it that way as a species? Why? Why create so much suffering?

Why?

Just Why?

Therapists cannot answer any of these questions, they just tell me I have to accept it the way it is and I can't. If i did I would be lying to myself...

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 3:08 pm

It is because this survival of the fittest routine is still silently in effect. The drugs work for some but for me they don't work and give me new problems. Survival of the fittest is basically who can make the most money and whom society deems as "good enough". (superiority complexes the people who came up with that had.) If you have autism you shouldn't be breeding especially since autism is the spotlight disorder currently. I'm sure they feel the same way if you have any disorder in the DSM. The problem with that is...everyone is defective in that case.

There will always be prejudice bullies. Learn their system. Bust it.

Right now, autistics don't have much of a shield thanks to these negative campaigns which gives bullies more fuel and feel they have the right to hurt people with autism. The ones who keep pushing for this mindset should be ashamed and stop.

The bully system works like this.

Bullies have alot of hate. Some are insecure about themselves on the inside but don't want to hurt themself so they will project onto others and hurt them. Some other bullies have an over inflated sense of self worth and feel others are not good enough and to reinforce this idea, they must make sure that type of person stays down.

Growing up, I fought back. It was taught in our house to do that or face someone even more disturbing than the bully...my father and his belt.

My siblings fought back. We all won. Sometimes I would let the bullies slide at first just to make sure the person wasn't just having a bad day. Then when I've had enough and was in Red mode meaning I'm shaking, my adrenaline is taking over, I'm about to blackout and feel no pain, took the bully who was way bigger than me down with no pain.

Schools suck now when it comes to bullies. It's almost as if people who were bullies in the past get into the education system just so they can make sure bullies win because of the times they tried to bully and got their asses handed to them.

Now as an adult, best thing you can do is fight back with words. If you have a delay in that area where it doesn't register until later like I do. Catalog your words that you would have said then start to examine people. Sometimes if you mirror their same snide condescending remarks back the person suddenly develops empathy like you've just turned on some switch.

People are still involved in this survival of the fittest routine because the psychos who started it have an over inflated sense of self worth and currently with all of this narcissism displayed in our media and lack of tolerance towards smart or real creative people or different thinkers, we have to stand together. These parents who are allowing this self pity routine over their needs of a child should stop and focus more on acceptance. Do they not understand that by doing that, it's making not only their lives harder but their child's life?

Most of the time when I read about abuse of autistic children, that survival of the fittest mumbo jumbo comes back up and it's the child's fault for having autism. The bullies perceive us as weak. Not even our parents love us thanks media you're great! (sarcasm)

When a group of people stand up and fight back, the bullies find a new group that isn't going to have much backlash if the bully decides to hurt someone from that group.

The truth is, these bullies need their heads examined but just like the survival of the fittest bullies of the past, they feel entitled to be jerks to whomever society deems unfit.

Our society's mindset is currently controlled by tv.

Just because someone is autistic doesn't give someone the right to murder, beat, abuse emotionally, degrade, humiliate and harass them.

Our society has turned into accepting bullies and turning a blind eye towards those who could use protection if mentally different.

It's up to those on the spectrum and parents who want a better future for their child to express why autistics are worthy of humane treatment and stand up so that bullies know that they don't have an easy target.

People are letting off those that abuse people with autism which proves that society views of us as less than human which is a shame considering I've also noticed that people who belonged to a marginalized minority group in the past and had to stand up for what is right have too turned the other cheek and laugh when they read a story about an autistic child shoved into a duffel bag at school.

This really does prove the majority of people only have empathy for something that hits close to home and narrowly so.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2011, 5:55 pm

I am in an existential crisis and it sounds like you are too. I worked in the corporate world for 13 years denying how it was killing my soul. Developed severe depression, got laid off, partner went severely off the rails with her bipolar. It's so bad that I cannot work, or even go to school at this point. The same ideas that you expressed about the world being cruel and destroying itself were recently overwhelming to me. I haven't come up with the answers but I decided what good is it for me to want to change the world when I don't try to change those around me in my immediate vicinity. So now when I got out, which I rarely do, I try to actually SEE the people I interact with and talk to them, to treat them like human beings, not just cashiers at the grocery store, since that's mostly the only place I go. People don't see each other as people anymore, just as obstacles in the world they are trying to get through. It really surprises people when someone relates to them as a person and I can see it brighten their mood. Their muscles relax and they stand up straighter. If I see something wrong, an injustice, I say something about it. This is all I can do right now, so I do it. Martin Luther King, Jr. had to change those around him before he could change the United States. And I'm sure it was very lonely. Sometimes different is exceptional.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

bumble wrote:

I can sometimes tell that someone is not NT if they have behaviours that are clearly out of place, but a lot of people who aren't NT don't have such obviously out of place behaviours, and a lot of NTs are quite weird really.

I can't make a judgement with you. I suppose you probably have depression, but that doesn't make you non-NT exactly because I don't think it is permanent.