Liking Things Inappropriate for Your Age Group

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TwistedReflection
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 4:07 am

I adore the stories of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne, especially characters like the timid Piglet and perpetually depressed Eeyore, the neurotic Rabbit and the hyperactive Tigger; I'm sure they're all on the Spectrum, somewhere. :lol:

I also still retain some stuffed animals from my childhood that, even now at 24 years of age, I refuse to be parted with.

So, do any of you happen to have a fondness for things that mightn't be the norm for your age group? Are you embarrassed by your passion for such things, or do you openly declare your enjoyment of them to those around you?

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2011, 4:09 am

I watch my little pony...... :D

AS_Citizen_43275-B
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

I'm very fond of the old Disney animation, Aristocats.. I would still watch some old children shows if they still aired.. I'm a 30 y/o male.. And no I'm not embarrased, there's nothing wrong being young at heart. :)

EmilyVictoria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2011, 4:29 am

I am 27 years old and the fact that I have many pleasures that I should have outgrown years ago, greatly irritates my parents and various other people around me. But, I couldn't gie a stuff. They make me HAPPY. :lol:
Some examples;
I suck my thumb and have a comforter
I love to play video games
I love disney, if I could live at Disneyland I would...
I sit on my partners lap constantly for cuddles
TBH I am just happy with who I am and the people that really matter will accept you for who you are.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 4:33 am

I still like reading my Enid Blyton Books and I like watching children's films.

Seventh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 7:11 am

I'm 32 and still have a sentimental attachment to some of my childhood stuffed animals, but I don't "play" with them or anything - they just live in the cupboard. I suppose I should get them out and give them a hug every now and then so they don't get lonely :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Sep 2011, 7:15 am

TwistedReflection wrote:
I adore the stories of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne, especially characters like the timid Piglet and perpetually depressed Eeyore, the neurotic Rabbit and the hyperactive Tigger; I'm sure they're all on the Spectrum, somewhere. :lol:

I also still retain some stuffed animals from my childhood that, even now at 24 years of age, I refuse to be parted with.

So, do any of you happen to have a fondness for things that mightn't be the norm for your age group? Are you embarrassed by your passion for such things, or do you openly declare your enjoyment of them to those around you?

I'm not really embarrassed. I'm 42. I like many cartoons. I still have my first stuffed toy (okay, it was lost for a few decades, and I found it again last week), plus another I purchased 10 years ago. I actually wish I had several others that I'd lost before a move across country - I was collecting stuffed toys, mostly bears, and kept them lined up in my bedroom, but I couldn't take them with me when I was 15.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 7:52 am

i'm "of a certain age" and i still wuv my blue baby blankie :D
i still enjoy watching "tennessee tuxedo" and "tooter turtle" and laugh goofily like a little kid Image
i've always been a head taller than other kids of my age [way back when] so when i was eight i could've passed physically for 12. a long story here- when i was about 5 my parents bought me for my birthday an adorable little red toy pedal car, but every time i'd get it and try to tool around my mean older brother would sneak up and honk the horn on it which would make me scream in terror. i have always hated harsh loud noises. so my parents mistakenly thought i was afraid of the toy car itself so they took it back to the store and i had nothing for my birthday. thanks to my mean older brother. anyways, several years later, whenever i was in somebody else's house and i saw their child's toy red pedal car i could not resist the urge to shoehorn my too big nine-year-old frame in it and start pedalling around, much to their dismay. I STILL MISS MY BEAUTIFUL RED PEDAL CAR! :cry:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 7:59 am

I like a lot of things that people of my parents generation would like. I'm an old soul that way. You already know the things that I like, so I don't really need to tell you what they are. I have the interests of a very nostalgic Baby Boomer and I'm 36.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2011, 8:00 am

Just in case you didn't notice I am 62.

1. I sleep with a stuffed animal, a black lab named Bumper Morgan.
2. Lately I have been reading books that I find in the Juvenile section of the library and have been enjoying them :D
3. A lot of the the new animated films are wonderful. Regret not seeing Toy Story 4
4. Usually go to one of the parks at Disney World once a week. Always alone. I really enjoy Test Track at Epcot
5. Will shop in the children's section for shoes, size 5 adult or size 3 child
6. Still do not know how to make friends, or talk to people :(
7. Play the Sims 3 with all its expansion packs and most of the stuff packs, own Wii, PSP, and DS

I think that's about everything. Other than I look younger than my age. That is other than my gray hair because I do not like the thought of dying it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 8:08 am

^^^
it's never too late to see toy story 4, at least on home video.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 8:09 am

when i was 11 or 12, i slept with a little toilet plunger as though it were a teddy bear. my parents took it away from me and stuck it into a pile of goo. :x

Last edited by auntblabby on 25 Sep 2011, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 8:09 am

Just thought I'd tell you that my mom and I went to the Disney Store yesterday (an hour or so away)...

I got a Pooh hoodie, Pooh tshirt, and Pooh and Eeyore stuffed animals :) Most of it's for Christmas, and the tshirt is for when my mom goes away in October... just a little thing to cheer me up.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 8:28 am

I found that everything I like someone "normal" my age likes too.

They won't talk about to strangers and sometimes you learn about their "childish" or "grandfather-ish" interest only by chance because they feel a little embarrassed by it. (They're usually very surprised to learn that they're not the only one who (still) enjoys things or activities whose main target group are children.)

So once in a while, us 20-30yos sit down and watch a cartoon claiming "hey, we just happen to have nothing better to do", take advantage of kids showing off their toys to goof around or find ourselves agreeing on a lingering affection for something shiny and childish.

I also found these two situations I've been told about to be quite amusing:

If you're thought to be "normal" and even "popular" and in school, university or work you're overheard - by chance - quietly discussing your growing collection of childhood Disney films with someone who's as fond of them as your are, you may quickly find yourself confronted with a number of as normal, popular peers asking "can we please borrow/have the Disney films too?"

Way to make other students and professors accidentally walking in speechless if your whole class (ages 18-30) at university - unexpected free-period and you're luckily equipped with a laptop, a film and a projector - is found watching Aristocrats or The Lion King.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

I never stopped loving cartoons and comix. Some of them are pretty sophisticated. Good toys fascinate me. I'm not a gamer (yet), but lately I can see myself playing them. Sometimes I read young adult fiction.

Plenty of adults still love things meant for children. The ones who don't tend to worry me. Too serious.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

I dress 40 years out of style, I have sevral
Tigger overalls and Tigger shirts and I have
my big Tigger I carry about with me, I don't
get why I shood not ??? I been doing it since
I was 2, why quit now? There isn't a law aginst it.

I still play with my hotwheels, GI Joes and other
stuff, Stretch Armstrong, etc.

I watch things from Superfriends, Paddington Bear,
Pingu, Chapi and Chapo, Groovy Goolies, yeah a mix
of tings from every country from the 1970s, we
had satellite telly in the 70s so I watched stuff
from Canada thru the US all the way to Europe and
Japan, stuff the other kids in the US thought I was
weird for looking at but I did not care.

I rilly did try being a growedup when I was 19,
it flopped miserably, so I said Skruit and went
back to being 7.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.