Buildings and Atmospheres/ Sensory Instinct

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 4:34 pm

Do you have a strong sensory instinct for a place or a sixth sense, when ever I walk into a building or room I get a tidal wave of feeling. I suppose this must be related to having acute sensory perception/anxiety, so an atmosphere builds up from a place's architecture, temperature, lighting and smell, other people don't seem to notice these things unless for example its a very old damp building or something like a church. I've heard some autistics say objects resonate and stuff. This is nothing mystical its purely heightened awareness. I think I get a feeling for people this way too, not by facial expression but by sensing mood somehow. So in some buildings/ or with certain people I feel very uncomfortable because I feel on edge due to their "atmosphere" for want of a better word!!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 4:54 pm

I get it - not to that extent, but I know what you mean.

In my case the 'vibes' seem to be associated with human effort or struggle. So a rural area may have been farmed by the same family for generations and the fields have a kind of depth somehow. You can "feel the weight of history upon the land". Alternatively, a mill, factory or mine may have seen frantic activity over a shorter timespan and have that same feeling of history, and latent power. Things which have been cared for over many years, or which took an incredible amount of effort to construct in the first place, reflect the effort which has gone into their existence. Could be a stone circle, a church, a power station, an orchard, a river... If people have laboured over something, some of their energy lives on within the object or the place.

Ok this is my hippy side coming out now - I'm waiting to get flamed by the black/white yes/no brigade...

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 5:51 pm

I can feel the athmosphere in every building, situation or landscape that I come into, and then I mean the "psychich" athmosphere (as well as the physical, of course).

'Tis munny in my purse.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2006, 9:02 pm

Wow, I guess this thread explains why I feel so peaceful when standing next to railroad tracks and in front of historic buildings. They all seem to send out a calming vibe, which puts all my racing thoughts at ease. The feeling is strongest around very old railroad stations. I like to sit at old train stations, smoke a cigarette, and just gaze into space. On the other hand, suburban housing subdivisions make me feel edgy. They have a sterile look that annoys the hell out of me.

What I really admire, with repect to this post, is the Israeli architecture. Most buildings in Israel outside of historic city centers (which were build thousands of years ago), are barely 50 years old, since they weren't built until after 1948. At the same time, they exude the same pleasant vibe of warmth and comfort as much older buildings. They fit perfectly into the setting, and don't have that annoying sterile look, despite being so new. I'm wondering how Israeli constuction companies manage to achieve that.

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 8:36 am

In the parish were I grew up we have a church that is one of Sweden's oldest still existing. It was built 400 years before Columbus put his foot in what would become America, around year 1100. I think you would just love it. 8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2006, 11:57 am

I dunno about an actual atmosphere to a place but I do notice I can immediately notice any change in the accoustics of a room even if Ive only been there once.

Move an object or if a person moves around in the room and the "white noise" of the room changes and I tend to notice it.

Some people find it creepy because they've tried and cant sneak up on me I always know they're there because while they may not make any sound their bodies absorb sound waves and the volume/pitch/tone etc of the rooms background noise changes.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane