Do you with AS find it difficult to watch a computer screen?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PureRumble
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Sep 2011, 6:22 am

Hi all

In another thread of mine (named "My story and biggest problem right now") I discussed how I think that the number one biggest problem causing anxiety at my current job (that I love so much) is that in the end I have to sit down by a computer screen and watch it.

It's like an author that loves everything about writing books and stories, but for some reason can't stand a typing machine.

I think the simple act of watching a monitor while working somehow makes my mind go haywire, and this is somehow connected to my AS. People with autism do have problem with sensory experience and processing, right?

I do have very ergonomic screens, and already have nice computer glasses of the brand Gunnar Optiks (that I strongly recommend).

But enough about me, now you tell me of your experience. Have you also under any circumstances had difficulty watching a computer screen?

Tell me, tell me! Oh please do tell me!

//Arash

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 6:31 am

Actually, no, not really. I am slightly photosensitive, for example, if I'm in the front seat of a car, I usually can't look out the windscreen if it is sunny, I hate fluorescent lights e.t.c But with computer screens, I'm okay, unless I've been sitting in the dark staring at my monitor for far too long. :)

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 6:47 am

no, I watch it for hours

amojak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2011, 6:47 am

hi,

if it is an old fashioned tube screen then they are hell for me, especially if somebody leaves it set to 60Hz refresh..

In the UK the mains frequency is 50Hz so combine that with a flourescent light and a 60 Hz tube, you get an annoying 10 Hz flicker.

for the non techy that means it flickers and really irritates my eyes 8O

if it is a flat screen new type then its fine, perhaps you may need to crank down the contrast and brightness as sensitivity to bright light, something i have in common with the last poster, will give you headaches or make you averse to looking at the screen.

bill

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 7:49 am

Older CRT tubes bother me to an extreme degree. Most of the computers at my job (A hospital medical records office) are of the newer variety with the LCD screens. Our entire office is lit with fluorescent lighting, so any time I'm focusing one one spot (like my monitor) I tend to develop serious eye strain from the 'flicker'. I offset this to a small degree using a desk lamp with a traditional bulb to sort of wash out the flickering areas.

There is one very old computer, that for some reason has to be old, dont ask me why, I dont use it, that uses a CRT monitor. Just walking past it while the monitor is switched on can induce a headache. I know for a fact that I could not work on the computer, not even for a minute or two.

Thank jah they don't ask me.

As for a regular monitor, well, I spend most of my day in front of one. My home television/computer monitor is an LCD screen as well. Given that my SI for the moment is xbox games, I spend a lot of time in front of it. It doesn't bother me.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

it depends on the setting.
in my own room, i can watch my laptops screen for hours on end, but i must be careful with the secondary screen next to it; as that one is older and has a low refreshrate, one that is actually visible if i look too long

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

No way! I can easily spend hours in front of a computer or playing video games without it bothering me!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 1:26 pm

I wouldn't be posting here or lurking if I had difficulty watching it.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

No problem here, but I've never had really noticeable sensory issues.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:03 pm

YES. My problems have never been auditory processing so much (though I have hyperacusis but that is unrelated to my AS and that is not to do with processing anyway).

But visual things are a big problem for me. I have always been prone to visual obsessions, and if I am in front of a computer my eyes hurt from the screen, it seems to be all grainy and flickery.

Also my eye muscles are really uncoordinated so my mind reads faster than my eyes can keep up with. I think my problem is largely related to fine muscle dyspraxia, I dont have a big problem with balance activities but my small muscles such as in my hands, face etc are very effected by dyspraxia.

So when I look at a computer screen I generally feel pain, which is a shame as I really enjoy being on the computer, I just wish I could type through speech rather than using hands and eyes.

I have had eye tests and been tested for Irlen etc, with no problems being detected. I am not really sure what the problem is with me, only I know i have been having these problems since childhood and it has all got worse since computers became such a dominant part of things.

Taking a break.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

I'm always sitting in front of the computer screen. It doesn't cause any physical harm....although later on in life I would probably end up needing to wear glasses.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:17 pm

I tried to reply to this thread, but I couldn't because my eyes hurt.

PureRumble
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2011, 2:45 am

Hi all. Thx so very much for your insightful replies!

One insight that I've had is that it also probably depends on during what circumstances you are working with the computer

If I'm at home and am using my comp to surf the web or play games then I can do so hours after hours.

But when I'm at work and have tasks to accomplish, then my sensory sensitivity goes of the charts.

I guess many of you would say that then the problem isn't the screen, but instead it's the job and how my mind reacts to it.

But I humbly reply "no".

I love my job and everything about it, and this isn't the first time I observed sensory sensitivity when in particular working or studying

I can explain this a bit further. Yes, it is the task at hand (work or study) that raises the bar, but still it is the sensory sensitivity and the sources (sounds or visual experiences) that are the problem at hand!

This has been different things through my life. Everything from hearing water flowing through pipes, to hearing air conditioning detectors ticking, further on to hearing my college to the left of me typing on her keyboard with the speed of light... and now the simple act of watching a screen

I see that some of you are complaining about severe eye strain while at the screens on work. May I make an, unfortunately expensive, recommendation? I'm not allowed to post URLs, but I strongly recommend Gunnar Optiks' eyeglasses, specifically designed for working at computer screens.

The model Bit Surfer from Gunnar has done miracles for me, but I've heard that the Sheadog model is even better.

I strongly recommend MisterJ and zen mistress to check this out!

Godspeed and be well

//Arash

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 3:30 am

Thanks, Arash, I will check them out, though I dont know where to get them as i am not in the US or UK or anything like that... might have to mail order or something... I dont know..

Taking a break.

PureRumble
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2011, 4:17 am

May I guess if the zen mistress is perhaps living on the moon? :-) You can order from the site you know! You live in Sweden? Webhallen have them in Sweden!

The URL is www [dot] gunnars [dot] com [slash] products. Then you go for "advanced computer eyewear".

They got some really expensive glasses, but that is only for the style's sake! Don't fall for that!

Go with the sheadog model, but you can first checkout some reviews on internet to see if it might help you!

Godspeed

//Arash

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

This only happens to me if I look at older monitors, but I am mostly affected by the hum. My newer computer hums as well, it's just quieter and rather soothing.