Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:21 pm

Is it a thing that aspies need to learn from trial and error as opposed to learning from seeing other peoples mistakes. I noticed that in myself and Im guessing it goes with the mirror neurons theory. We have less mirror neurons or defective ones there for we cant just see others mistakes and learn from them. We have to make the mistakes ourselves.

Thoughts anyone?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:33 pm

I learn from both. I learn from other peoples mistakes and my own.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

http://autismcrisis.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... space.html

Read that and understand it, because I think it really demonstrates the different learning styles. NTs look nearby and find simple, quick heuristics; autistics look further afield and are slower at first until they can abstract a more general solution. I think that describes our learning processes in most domains.

Trial and error versus mimicry would be part of that. You can't copy your way to a general model.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

Some things I learn, other things I can't seem to get to sink in or stick lol.

Ie not rambling on and letting other people speak. As soon as I relax I forget myself and off I go...

Me: "Have you ever seen the 1970's Incredible hulk series with Bill Bixby and Louie Ferrigno. It ran for 5 series but was cancelled before they finished filming all of the episodes. The writer who also changed the name of the lead character 'Bruce Banner' to Dr David 'bruce' Banner because he hated alliteration and he wanted a series that would appeal to both adults and children, even though the character of Banner is played by an actor called Bill Bixby. I used to be a member of a fan group at one point and there were lots of filming errors and various quirks on there. Such as the episode in times square (terror in times square) where the hulk can be seen wearing green slippers and in another episode, if you look closely, you can see him wearing green pantyhose! He was normally painted with a type of green grease paint though and the slippers were to protect louies feet. Oh and louie by the way is deaf...they would not let him do his own grunts and roars though, they were done initially by another actor and later on they also used animal noises. Louie did get his chance to do some grunts and roars though in the last hulk movie they filmed "The incredible hulk". He also played a cameo as a security guard in both that movie and the ang (sp?) lee hulk film made a few years earlier. They did make a few spin off movies after the series with louie and bixby "The incredible hulk returns", "The trial of the incredible hulk" and "The death of the incredible hulk". Although I can't believe they killed the hulk off...that just does not seem right. I think they were going to do another movie where they scientifically resurrected him but unfortunately bixby passed away before they could shoot it from cancer! But really killing the hulk is just not right! He fell from.....

Them: "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore chortle zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snore"

Me: "would you like a pillow? Anyway back to the hulk in one episode louie also appears out of green make up where he played a deaf body builder trying to win a competition. That was quite interesting to see especially when the appeared next to him on the stage. I still cant believe they killed him off though I, really don't think the hulk would have died that way....shame....oh and there is another episode where...... "

I never learn lol

Socially I am slow although I don't have any problems learning in any other way. I think all my brain power gets diverted into that and the social stuff does not get a look in lol.

Last edited by bumble on 04 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:48 pm

I've always had difficulty learning things that were taught to me, e.g. academic subjects, musical instruments, technology. I've always been able to learn the most from trying things out for myself or learning things by myself. I was lucky that my grade school teachers recognized this and let me learn by myself in a corner of the classroom without disturbances from them or the other children.

I had always thought that most people learned better or their learning was more solid if they learned through personal trial and error, but maybe this is not the case at all. Maybe most people learn better from seeing and hearing others or having others show them while watching them. I find it really hard to learn things with other people hovering over me.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 6:52 pm

I can learn from reading or a classroom. Theoretically, that is. I retain the information.

I cannot put it into practice except through trial and error, and learning from my mistakes. Sometime I plow into a project, intending to make a lot of mistakes so I can hurry the "sinking-in" process.

"Knowing what to do", "wanting to do it", and "actually doing it" are not the same things. I can do the first two from book learning, not the third.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 9:00 pm

I always need to look at the proof behind something to learn math properly, or create my own proof. I think there is a part of us that needs to do everything ourselves instead of relying on others, so we need to make the mistakes ourselves too.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm

I thought this thread was about learning from mistakes and from other peoples too, not about other things? :?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I thought this thread was about learning from mistakes and from other peoples too, not about other things? :?

Its the same idea, I think.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:15 pm

Okay. I have a hard time listening to the teacher talk when she is speaking to the whole class. I do better if they speak to me only.

I have a hard time learning how to do things when I have to watch a video on how stuff is done and then doing it myself. I need to do it in person and have someone follow me through all the steps.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 10:37 pm

I can learn procedural things like how to fix a sewing machine or build a computer from books or internet. Reading is by far my preferred method of learning. It takes a lot of effort to learn anything just by being told. Even lectures can be difficult. My mind wants to zone out. Half the time I can't process audio very well. For things like autism personal stories help because I tend to be too literal with a list of symptoms. For soap making I need to experiment with formulas rather than use recipes. Anything like art or sewing is hands on. Programming is book plus hands on. I need a project and a book. Following exercises doesn't do it.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2011, 11:03 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
Is it a thing that aspies need to learn from trial and error as opposed to learning from seeing other peoples mistakes. I noticed that in myself and Im guessing it goes with the mirror neurons theory. We have less mirror neurons or defective ones there for we cant just see others mistakes and learn from them. We have to make the mistakes ourselves.

Thoughts anyone?

I think Aspies learn both ways especially those that walk the line between the Neuro-Typical world and Autistic world. I think Social Learning, if anything, would be done through trial and error more so than any other type. But, again, this depends on the strengths and weaknesses of the individual and their overall development.

TheSunAlsoRises

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:09 am

I don't understand how someone not learn from other peoples mistakes. I remember as a child if I saw a kid do something and he got in trouble for it, I then knew that thing isn't allowed and if I do that, I get in trouble. One day I saw a boy in my class throwing chairs as he was crying and yelling at the teachers. He got sent to the office and was there for the rest of the day. I learned that day that if I throw chairs, I would go to the office there and sit and I'd be bored. How can someone not learn this?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:22 am

League_Girl wrote:
I don't understand how someone not learn from other peoples mistakes. I remember as a child if I saw a kid do something and he got in trouble for it, I then knew that thing isn't allowed and if I do that, I get in trouble. One day I saw a boy in my class throwing chairs as he was crying and yelling at the teachers. He got sent to the office and was there for the rest of the day. I learned that day that if I throw chairs, I would go to the office there and sit and I'd be bored. How can someone not learn this?

Many people believe certain rules that apply to others do NOT apply to them so they make the exact same choices that others make in similar situations and expect a different outcome. I believe Neuro-typicals refer to this method of learning as Learning The Hard Way or metaphorically getting ones "Ass Spanked". LoL.

TheSunAlsoRises

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:29 am

SylviaLynn wrote:
I can learn procedural things like how to fix a sewing machine or build a computer from books or internet. Reading is by far my preferred method of learning. It takes a lot of effort to learn anything just by being told.

I'm exactly the same, It could be that people on the spectrum are more suited to learning theoretically rather than learning visually or from demonstrations. Many concepts are also explained in a metaphorical or allegorically way which I think can be difficult for us to process and lead us to being confused.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2011, 1:37 am

Learning the Hard Way happens to me more as a byroduct of "learning" from books or stories than it does from experiencing a situation.

[a hypothetical situation:] If I was in League Girl's place, witnessing the kid throwing chairs. it would have affected me directly, in the form of mild trauma as a witness. However, if someone had just told me some story about a kid getting upset and throwing things, it would not sink into my brain and my habits as deeply. Later, in a fit of passion, I might be liable to throw something, because the "don't throw stuff" idea isn't very prominent in my head compared to "ack! I am freaking out! angst!" Sitting in detention for an hour drives the point home hard, and I wouldn't throw things again after that, even in a mindless fit of passion. The emotional consequence from throwing stuff becomes an intense experience, strong enough to cut through a crisis.

As the idea becomes more subtle and abstract, I am even more likely to have to learn it the hard way. For instance, reading about how someone is a jerk in a fiction book really isn't going to resonate in my social behavior. I can ruminate on "that character was a jerk" all I want, but part of me is going to overanlyze it and say "well, that book is fiction, and fiction is all lies by it's nature. It's possible that such activity would not be jerk-ish in real life." Making it even less likely that I would recall that particular life lesson when it would be useful.