Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Halligeninseln wrote:
When people say "At the end of the day" meaning "all things considered". They probably don't say it in the states but in Britain it seems to be almost every other sentence, especially when sportspeople give interviews.

Football managers especially. For some reason they all have very limited vocabularies.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 10:53 am

I think "Knickers" is cool. It's so British and Cockney 8)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:03 am

i do not like to be called "pal" or "buddy" or "captain" or "champ" or "chief" etc.

if am called that by anyone, then i will inevitably become defiant.

i can not think correctly when i talk to someone who thinks i am inferior to them, and somehow, they wind up insulted and i wind up in trouble.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

The most horrible word in the universe is R E L A T I O N S H I P. I wish i had never heard it.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

b9 wrote:
i do not like to be called "pal" or "buddy" or "captain" or "champ" or "chief" etc.

i can not think correctly when i talk to someone who thinks i am inferior to them, and somehow, they wind up insulted and i wind up in trouble.

Those would irritate me too.

I was called "fella" by a policeman in my own home :x Whatever happened to calling male members of the public "sir"?

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Anyone get this.. its not just thinking a word is stupid, it's actually feeling bad because people use it.

When people use the word "Anyways" it upsets me. It makes me sort of shiver. Yet other incorrect English words don't bother me.

Putting an S on the end of any word that doesn't need it is annoying. e.g. Walmarts, K-Marts. Plus, adding an apostrophe to plural nouns should be punishable by death.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:07 pm

There have been instances where I would only accept one word of greeting/starting a conversation from certain people. If they said anything other than that form of hello it was upsetting.

I cannot think of anything else other I dislike being called "dear" and such.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

nemorosa wrote:
b9 wrote:

Those would irritate me too.

I was called "fella" by a policeman in my own home :x Whatever happened to calling male members of the public "sir"?

well i had a major incident happen 8 years ago, (when i was living in the "pymble" house), and me and tammy were going to bed, and i heard a very loud smash down the street (i suppose tammy heard it too), and i determined that it sounded like a fatal accident, so i ran down the street (with tammy) to see what had happened, and i rang "000". the police turned up very quickly, and i could not work out where to stand.

one policeman said "out of the way bozo!", and i suddenly lost control, and i refused to obey any direction that he could utter, and then 3 policemen took me (forcibly) back to a police station, and i was non compliant throughout the entire episode.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 1:35 pm

by the way there were no fatalities, and the smash sounded much worse than it it was.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

Why do we have homonyms and homophones in the English language? Most people don't seem to understand how they work.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

b9 wrote:
by the way there were no fatalities, and the smash sounded much worse than it it was.

Glad to hear that. I was afraid to ask. Terrified of accidents.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 4:49 am

The corresponding Hungarian word for "must" comes from German, thus it sounds horrible. My mother used it to nag me to do things. For many years I had been correcting everyone who uttered this word in my presence.

Also, when someone in my family would say "Johnny, wouldn't you go down to the shop and buy ... ?" I would say "Exactly."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 5:12 am

I hate the words, ret*d and ret*d. Yes, I'm that much of a sensitive baby.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 6:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hate the words, ret*d and ret*d. Yes, I'm that much of a sensitive baby.

Same here as I mentioned the "R" word.

TheWingman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 6:34 am

"it needs to go here" instead of "it has to go here" an object does not NEED anyting.

That's anoying me when people use this word this way.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2011, 6:53 am

I am bored "of" something instead of "with" something.
Someone lied "on" me instead of "about" me.