Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

imcaptainkirk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

Does anyone know what makeup looks good on a man? I want to start using it as I'm not the most attractive of gentlemen. Are there any people who can teach me how to use it?

RandomNickname
Raven
Raven

06 Oct 2011, 11:04 am

Don't think any make up looks good on a man.. Get some nice clothes and do some exercise.

mvaughn32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2011, 11:16 am

Some men look good in makeup. They look like girls, but they look good. I wouldn't recommend it, though, unless you're this guy:

imcaptainkirk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

Men have to put on makeup differently to women. A man's got to make himself look mighty adventurous like a pirate or a gypsy.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 11:45 am

Check a high school or college Drama Department for stage makeup, then tone it way, way back for daily wear. I don't know whether there'd be a class in it or not, but there'd probably be someone around who could give you a few lessons.

imcaptainkirk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2011, 11:53 am

That's a good suggestion. Thanks.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2011, 11:56 am

Obvious makeup on a guy looks weird. I can even tell when movie actors' makeup rooms have overdone the "perfecting." The skin tone is just... off.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Consult an experienced beautician. They should be worth the money.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 2:26 pm

RandomNickname wrote:
Don't think any make up looks good on a man.. Get some nice clothes and do some exercise.

I think nearly every man looks a million times better (but not necessary good still, it's a shame) with some interesting make-up. Men should also wear skirts, I think. Those are my tastes.
But, I'm quite sure this is not what the op meant. He meant make-up that looks natural, like he's not wearing make-up, but makes him look better. Not the more unnatural make-up I like. :P
ImageImage

So, unfortunately, I don't really have anything to add but somehow ended up making this useless post anyhow.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

What specifically are you trying to accomplish with makeup?

Is it to cover a scar or birthmark? Then you might want to see professional esthetician (sp?). This type of make up is usually very specific and quite subtle.

If you want to use the makeup to make yourself look different (as in facial structures) - then you might want to re-think using it at all. A man in make up will always look like... a man wearing makeup.

To improve appearance - get a really good hair cut by a good stylist. Get some flattering, well made, well fitting clothes. Again, consult a stylist if you must.

Go to the gym or the pool or take up an activity to improve your fitness level. I have also been plus-sized, however, when I go the the gym or do ten laps a couple of times a week at the pool, my posture improves within a couple of weeks and my clothes fit and fall better on my frame.

I think that these efforts and expenses will lead to more a more natural improvement in your appearance than application of make up will.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 3:07 pm

I've seen guys in makeup that looked pretty good, actually. Usually, they get this cool androgynous look--you know, the best-of-both-worlds deal, like they're halfway in between.

The thing with makeup is that it tends to feminize your face a bit. If you look at a guy's face and a girl's face, you generally see that the girl's face has a bit more contrast--redder lips and cheeks, for example. Makeup heightens that contrast, accents the features, makes her look more feminine. So, the strategy for a guy would be pretty different, unless you wanted the androgynous look (which, like I've said, I find cool; but which does look unusual).

Using concealer would probably be the exception--you could use it to make your face look smoother, without increasing the contrast like colored makeup does. When in doubt, use less rather than more; and make absolutely sure you're matching your skin tone properly.

I'm a girl and I don't wear make-up because I don't need gunk on my face adding to my sensory load. If you have any touch-sensitive issues at all, I would honestly recommend not wearing make-up and trying something else instead--maybe a mustache or beard, shaping eyebrows, trying different hairstyles.

One last thing: When it comes to making friends, your actions matter a great deal more than your looks. Looking pretty/handsome can make people take notice of you early on; but keeping friends has much more to do with your actions than your appearance.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

imcaptainkirk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2011, 2:12 am

I think I already dress quite stylishly. My haircut is considered fashionable too. I still think my face could benefit from some make up. I look a little bland. I will seek out a beautician or theatre make up artist soon.

[img][800:539]http://images.starnow.com/images/member_profile_large/57/1595657_3124536.jpg[/img]

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Oct 2011, 8:30 am

imcaptainkirk wrote:
I think I already dress quite stylishly. My haircut is considered fashionable too. I still think my face could benefit from some make up. I look a little bland. I will seek out a beautician or theatre make up artist soon.

[img][800:539]http://images.starnow.com/images/member_profile_large/57/1595657_3124536.jpg[/img]

You look fine to me. What are you fretting over? 8O

verbal0rchid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2011, 8:44 am

I think you look fine.

But if you seriously want to try it, NOBODY does guy-liner like Jared Leto. *la swoon*

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

I'm not sure why you are calling yourself, "not the most attractive of gentlemen" - you look like a handsome fellow!

The thing with makeup is that you will still look like yourself - but with makeup.

I can only speak for myself, 40 year old married lady with two kids who appreciates a handsome fellow - I really don't dig guys who wear makeup...

I'm more into "reterosexual" rather than "meteroxesual" - but this is just me. I'm sure that other women feel differently, so ultimately, you need to do whatever makes you comfortable.

I'm just saying that, as a red-blooded, hetero woman - I think that you look just fine the way that you are.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 12:54 pm

I am quite positive you would not look good in makeup unless you were going for a look in an alternative lifestyle/fashion.

You look oily, at least your hair does. Fix that instead.