Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2011, 4:50 pm

happydorkgirl wrote:
I'm the same way with dogs! I despise the "dog whisperer" label,
I don't mind that label, as long as people are comparing me to "the original", Paul Owens:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAU1lYKzmEc[/youtube]

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2011, 6:35 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
happydorkgirl wrote:
I'm the same way with dogs! I despise the "dog whisperer" label,
I don't mind that label, as long as people are comparing me to "the original", Paul Owens:

YES. This is exactly how a dog should be trained. Did you see how raptly that dog watched Owens? You don't get that from dominance training. The tail tends to droop with a dog that has been brought up with DT. Once in a while I see those telltale signs in the obedience ring and all I can do is shake my head. The trainer is missing the entire point of training.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2011, 6:47 pm

happydorkgirl wrote:
This is exactly how a dog should be trained. Did you see how raptly that dog watched Owens?
Yep. Also notice his tone of voice, that he laughs a lot and keeps the training sessions fun for both him and the dog. He goes by what I think he calls the Nine Methods:

"food and play and socialize; quiet time and exercise; give your dog a job to do; lots of rest when days are through; train with love respect and care; and see your vet throughout the year."

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

Animals make sense: you feed them and love them and they love you back. I feel that animals are as much people as many a human.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

It's not an autistic trait that I have.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm

I make friends with people's animals instead of making friends with the people. Well, sometimes I manage to make friends with the people too. But animals first.

I have a lovely little tortoiseshell tabby cat sleeping on my bed right now. She knows the words "food" "dinner" "treat" and "cuddle". I used to have a cat who, when I would pat my lap and say "Hey Poni, want to come have a cuddle?" would come trotting over and jump in my lap for a cuddle.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm

I am really good with both dogs and cats, and I have to admit that it amazes me when people simply do not understand behavior and try to stop it - like dogs who bark at visitors want the visitor to introduce themselves, but they simply get told to shut up - and even punished - and then ignored. Simply greeting the dog typically stops the barking.

Or people who apologize for their dogs being "scary" when the dog only wants to greet someone in general.

With cats, people see them as independent, vain, egotistical creatures, but they're actually really social and loving. Vanity and egotism are simply a matter of people anthropomorphizing feline behavior.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

Verdandi wrote:
With cats, people see them as independent, vain, egotistical creatures, but they're actually really social and loving. Vanity and egotism are simply a matter of people anthropomorphizing feline behavior.

The Project-O-Matic 3000! For use on cats and autistics.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

The Project-O-Matic 3000! For use on cats and autistics.

I have no idea what this means.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:35 pm

I was curious too, so a quick google search brought up a lot of things with the suffix "o-matic 3000" so maybe it comes from somewhere? Maybe btbnnyr will explain.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 10:38 pm

happydorkgirl wrote:
Meow101 wrote:
happydorkgirl wrote:
Burnbridge wrote:
I'm a cat whisperer. Mewler, really. Strange cats who are skittish of people tend to come say hi to me.

I'm the same way with dogs! I despise the "dog whisperer" label, however, due to that damned show. That man has single-handedly thrown the field and practice of canine training/behaviorism backwards 25 years. I bristle whenever people refer to me as such.

I'm interested. Is what he does wrong? I have a friend who is very interested in canine behavior and he watches Dog Whisperer all the time.

~Kate

His biggest sin is using a single social behavior to analyze and explain a complex, multi-faceted animal. Dominance is not always the issue at hand, nor should it always be used to correct an improper behavior.

If your friend is interested I would recommend "Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training" by Karen Pryor (Click title for Amazon page). She is an expert in what is called "positive dog training", which has replaced dominance training in scientific-based circles.

Thanks. I will pass this on to him.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu