Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

Can you guys remember song lyrics really easily, and remember them for years afterwards? I haven't heard a particular song in about 7 years, and suddenly I started hearing the song, really really clearly in my head. On long car journeys, I play songs in my head....does any of this happen to you? :)

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

Musical Theatre is my special interest, so I can learn songs from musicals very quickly, and remember them for a long time. I can also play musical theatre songs in my head.

I wish this transferred to classical music too, I'm studying music in university and being able to identify a Chopin piece after hearing it once would be useful. But alas, I can only do it with showtunes.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2011, 3:39 pm

Yes, I have always had an easy time remembering song lyrics, in fact it was one of my "special interests" when I was an adolescent. I used to scribble the complete lyrics to my favorite albums when I was bored in class, and I had a game where you could tell me a word and then I would sing part of a song that used that word. And I have always idolized singer/songwriters.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 3:55 pm

I can usually remember about 5 out of the 30 words that are used in a song.

evilduck
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Oct 2011, 3:59 pm

I know pretty much every line from Black Adder. All seasons.

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2011, 4:14 pm

I've always had a knack for remembering lyrics. As a kid in the 1960's, I'd memorized all the Beatles lyrics by age 8 or 9, though I had some crazy ideas about what a lot of it meant or what I thought they'd said. No surprise.

That was a special interest - British rock.

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

I'm not especially good at it, and it's compounded by me having auditory processing disorder.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 4:27 pm

I have difficulties with understanding the lyrics in the first place. I can recall the melody of a particular song easier than its lyrics. Usually I remember parts of it (a few lines or words), though.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

I can remember the lyrics to one song. And most of a second.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm

I can also memorize the lyrics to my favourite songs. I also think the reason that I know all the lyrics is because I've heard each song for most of my life.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:45 am

I have the lyrics to a multitude of songs in my head. Some of them I have consciously tried to learn, but the majority are just there, without effort. I love when a singer has good diction and the words can be heard clearly - there are a few 80s electro-pop acts like that, e.g. Eurythmics and many of the singers of power ballads as well, even if they are cheesy. But, if I really like a song and I'm not sure what they're singing, I'll read the lyrics and sing along and then it's memorised. I know every word to several albums from my teenage years.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 4:58 am

i can, if i want to, but i usually dont hear the words, just the vocal melody; however, i do know that melody down to minute detail years later indeed, even if i heared the song just once

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2011, 6:05 am

I can remember whole lines of songs, but I don't get them in the right order. There is stuff I've been listening to for 30 years that I couldn't write down the lyrics to.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 7:29 am

Yes! I can still remember lyrics of rap songs I listened to when I was 12...and yes, I memorized every word. "Hot in Heere", anyone? AHAHAH.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2011, 12:20 am

Yes! I think this is a special interest as I also used to write lyrics in class or whenever I was waiting somewhere, stressed out especially. I could literally not hear a song for 25 years and then just know the lyrics. Sometimes it gets in the way because so many times someone will say a phrase and I will break into song, either in my head or out loud. I've never known anyone else who did this. I always just really thought I liked music. I must know lyrics to thousands of songs, some even in different languages. Sometimes when I get really stressed I hear the same lyrics over and over again in my head, in an OCD kind of way which is the only down side.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 12:52 am

It takes me a couple of time reading through the lyrics, but I tend to remember lyrics for awhile. Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I sing songs to myself in my head, so that helps me remember the lyrics as well.